The critics have been silenced...

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
DCC usually has fourteen balls racked behind the foot spot with the opening ball on the center spot with ball in hand for an opening break. John's rack man placed the fifteen balls racked with the head ball on the foot spot. John removed the head ball from the center spot, placed it into a prime break position between the third and fourth row of racked balls and placed the cue ball in hand wherever he wanted to break the first rack from to start this and many of his other runs. This isn't a legal first shot in 14.1 straight pool. Maybe the video will show the original position for the start of the record setting run. Mosconi never had, and no one else has been given, this setup to start a 14.1 straight pool run. Everyone who plays 14.1 should know the legal break for the game.

I’ve seen plenty of side of the rack break shots during high run attempts lol. At DCC I’ve seen both as well. From what I remember (and I’ve only watched a couple) everyone broke from a “side of the rack” position and Chris melling broke from the center spot. Personally I think that breaks the balls even better than he side break it’s just harder to get perfect during the run.

For a high run attempt it’s the only way. Why waste time breaking safe or whatever you may think should happen...then doing what? Until getting a good shot to start counting.

It’s a high run attempt, it starts from a good break shot however you like

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was this streamed live like many of his other attempts or just recorded separately and then announced?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Aren't most official records for sport only recognized during competition?

Most? I don't know if that's what your real question is, but there are a several sports records that have nothing to do with an actual competition. That would include the aforementioned free throw shooting record, as an example. Also "longest XXX" records like longest swim, longest run... these weren't in any competition, but instead individual seeking to go farther than anyone else has.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was this streamed live like many of his other attempts or just recorded separately and then announced?

He had two announced attempt events the last two months. One was in April, which was streamed. The other was in May, which they said wasn't going to be streamed, but instead was going to be video recorded. I believe Mr. Jewett was in attendance for both.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Most? I don't know if that's what your real question is, but there are a several sports records that have nothing to do with an actual competition. That would include the aforementioned free throw shooting record, as an example. Also "longest XXX" records like longest swim, longest run... these weren't in any competition, but instead individual seeking to go farther than anyone else has.

Typically these would not be recognized by any sporting organizations or governing bodies.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
But recognized nonetheless.

Would you rather strike down John's accomplishment?

Not at all it was a great personal achievement, I just don't think he did himself any favors. To attempt a record you should do your due diligence and ask what it is required for this to be an official by the rules record that will go down in the books and be without dispute.
He did not follow the official 14.1 rules and it was not done in competition.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Not at all it was a great personal achievement, I just don't think he did himself any favors. To attempt a record you should do your due diligence and ask what it is required for this to be an official by the rules record that will go down in the books and be without dispute.

What competition goes high enough? He made 626 in a row, 14.1 style, all called shots. That’s what matters, not some organization saying “yes, it’s official”

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
You see in this TV clip Mosconi placed the OB ball and cueball in prime breaking position. (six minute mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ts7YqHRrjc

DCC usually has fourteen balls racked behind the foot spot with the opening ball on the center spot with ball in hand for an opening break. John's rack man placed the fifteen balls racked with the head ball on the foot spot. John removed the head ball from the center spot, placed it into a prime break position between the third and fourth row of racked balls and placed the cue ball in hand wherever he wanted to break the first rack from to start this and many of his other runs. This isn't a legal first shot in 14.1 straight pool. Maybe the video will show the original position for the start of the record setting run. Mosconi never had, and no one else has been given, this setup to start a 14.1 straight pool run. Everyone who plays 14.1 should know the legal break for the game.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And most of Mosconi's record run of 526 was not in competition either. A match ends when the specified number of points is scored. In pool announced, public, and verified high runs are accepted as a special category of record.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
break shot

Bad as I hate to say it, well actually I don't care! Anyway, most high run competitions seem to allow the player to set up his favorite break shot to open. Most of the guys that aren't heavy straight pool players simply copy what they see working for others. A straight pool player might choose a handful of variations. Hitting the two head balls equally, the side break used after the first one, or I recall one player liking the below the rack opening break.

With over forty more breaks controlled by where the break ball was after shooting the last rack it would be a major quibble to fuss over the first break ball position. If there was some moving of balls or other hanky panky then there might be a problem. I also find starting a run midrack when you are playing alone questionable. The person misses then instead of reracking they keep shooting starting over from a count of one ball.

Hu

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
Glad I started this thread.

I knew the haters and critics were idiots, but I didn't expect them to get this desperate and petty.

While John Schmidt reached new highs, these dregs have reached new lows!!!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
anudder dream!

You're a dreamer...

Anudder dream: I went into a place and started playing pool on an old nine foot challenge table. Played until after daylight the next morning when the last of my opponents had to go to work straight from the place we were playing. Counting my winnings later I saw that I had won over 150 consecutive games of eight ball. No eights on the break, no early eights, no scratches on the eight ball or any other time!

I was like the guy that dreamed he ate a giant marshmallow and woke up to find his pillow gone! Five dollar bills filled every pocket of my jeans, t-shirt, shirt, and jacket when I woke up the next day. At a lowly five dollars a game I made about eight hundred dollars that night.

I suppose that is another personal record in itself. Over 150 consecutive games of eight ball in one session and not losing a game to the usual eight ball on the break or an untimely eight ball.

I like dreams that find me with over eight hundred dollars in winnings when I wake up. Most blue collar workers didn't make eight hundred dollars a month at the time and I was out of work with zero income except on the tables.

Hu

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

So what you're saying is that the record could virtually never be broken, as most tournaments would never be able to allow anyone to continue their run. Most matches end at 150 or 200, or so I'm led to believe.

Mr. Jewett (and/or Stu) have pointed out that there are a few exceptions to that, but for the most part, it can't happen in competition.

AND Mosconi set the mark in an exhibition. Sheesh. Not a competition.

C'mon folks. Celebrate this, stop tearing it down....it's very sad, how some in the pool community are treating what should be a momentous event.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what you're saying is that the record could virtually never be broken, as most tournaments would never be able to allow anyone to continue their run. Most matches end at 150 or 200, or so I'm led to believe.
Mr. Jewett (and/or Stu) have pointed out that there are a few exceptions to that, but for the most part, it can't happen in competition.
AND Mosconi set the mark in an exhibition. Sheesh. Not a competition.
C'mon folks. Celebrate this, stop tearing it down....it's very sad, how some in the pool community are treating what should be a momentous event.
You are right!
The simplistic masses, living in the past, don't like to see their gods dethroned.
CartoonRipestPeach rsized.jpg

4pointer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anudder dream: I went into a place and started playing pool on an old nine foot challenge table. Played until after daylight the next morning when the last of my opponents had to go to work straight from the place we were playing. Counting my winnings later I saw that I had won over 150 consecutive games of eight ball. No eights on the break, no early eights, no scratches on the eight ball or any other time!

I was like the guy that dreamed he ate a giant marshmallow and woke up to find his pillow gone! Five dollar bills filled every pocket of my jeans, t-shirt, shirt, and jacket when I woke up the next day. At a lowly five dollars a game I made about eight hundred dollars that night.

I suppose that is another personal record in itself. Over 150 consecutive games of eight ball in one session and not losing a game to the usual eight ball on the break or an untimely eight ball.

I like dreams that find me with over eight hundred dollars in winnings when I wake up. Most blue collar workers didn't make eight hundred dollars a month at the time and I was out of work with zero income except on the tables.

Hu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZeDFwTcnCc

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Another issue is that Willie made his run in 1954. John keeps running balls in 2018 and now 2019. Unless he duplicates the year of the run I'm going to have a hard time considering him the record holder.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Glad I started this thread.

I knew the haters and critics were idiots, but I didn't expect them to get this desperate and petty.

While John Schmidt reached new highs, these dregs have reached new lows!!!

Well said.

Way to go John, you not only set the NEW WORLD RECORD, you started the " When Willie was King" fan club.
Current membership is at 19 and counting.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
Another issue is that Willie made his run in 1954. John keeps running balls in 2018 and now 2019. Unless he duplicates the year of the run I'm going to have a hard time considering him the record holder.

What you consider is irrelevant.

The fact is, John Schmidt is the record holder.

The pool world now has its own version of the flat earth society.