Two Outstanding Table Mechanics- Pat O'Donnell and Bob Deturk

ChazL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two Outstanding Table Mechanics- Pat O'Donnell and Bob De Turk

I'd like to publically thank Pat O'Donnell and Bob De Turk for their excellent work on my home table. It has never looked this good or played this well.

Pat and Bob have been working together of late, and I was lucky enough to have both gentlemen (along with their assistant Oscar) assemble and recover the table earlier this week. Their level of care and attention to detail went way beyond my expectations.

During the leveling process, it became obvious that the center slate on my table was crowned. Prior mechanics had obviously used extra filler to "correct" this problem. Pat and Bob worked on this slate to get it back to where it should be, adding additional slate screws and using liquid dowels to hold it in place. Once they were done, only the slightest irregularities remained. Only a minimal amount of filler was required at the seams.

Their cloth work is exceptional. I've never seen cloth pulled this tight with a uniform stretch and absolutely clean pockets. It's not my place to reveal their secrets (they were making a video of their work to send to Simonis), but a combination of gluing and stapling, along with precise placement of the cloth and measurement of the stretch, produced outstanding results.

Here are some pictures:

Table01.jpg

The table is a 9' Gandy

SidePocket01.jpg
CornerPocket01.jpg

The cloth work is impeccable.

SidePocket02.jpg
CornerPocket02.jpg

As a finishing touch, I asked that they "sleeve" the pockets. It was unnecessary (I felt bad about covering up the good work underneath), but I really like the look.

The difference that a top-tier mechanic can make is amazing. There may be cheaper guys out there, but a small differential in price buys a whole 'nother world of quality. I wholeheartedly recommend either Pat (PoolTable911.com) or Bob (A Level Above Pool Table Service 610 812-4023) to anyone looking for table work in the Tri-State area.

Last edited:

pocono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Table Mechanic

Bob Deturk did a fantisatic job om my table also. It wasn't easy trying to find a good table mechanic living in a semi rural area.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
I'm glad it worked out for you (you PM'ed me on how I liked my new cloth).

Judging by your description, it looks like your mechanics may have learned a thing or two from RKC about installing cloth. And two guys to pull probably equal one Glen. Or maybe two guys and a draft horse. :D

Last edited:

ChazL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rich:

Thanks for your advice. I'm sure that Glen did a great job on your table as well. Sounds like we're both happy campers.

P.S. Both Pat and Bob are strong, healthy boys who have no problem stretching the cloth as tight as you could ever want it. Both are very nice guys as well.

Last edited:

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i met pat last year-he helped me with my practice table-hes 100 percent class and workmanship

JZMechanix

Silver Member
I had the pleasure of meeting & working with Bob & Pat @ the mechanics' seminar last summer. It was obvious that they were pro's and take great pride in their work.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks very nice but a question

I'd like to publically thank Pat O'Donnell and Bob De Turk for their excellent work on my home table. It has never looked this good or played this well.

The work looks very nice but one question: What in the world did they do that turned the cloth that color? :grin: :grin: :grin:

Hu

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Pat and Bob have been working together of late, and I was lucky enough to have both gentlemen (along with their assistant Oscar) assemble and recover the table earlier this week. Their level of care and attention to detail went way beyond my expectations.

During the leveling process, it became obvious that the center slate on my table was crowned. Prior mechanics had obviously used extra filler to "correct" this problem. Pat and Bob worked on this slate to get it back to where it should be, adding additional slate screws and using liquid dowels to hold it in place. Once they were done, only the slightest irregularities remained. Only a minimal amount of filler was required at the seams.

Their cloth work is exceptional. I've never seen cloth pulled this tight with a uniform stretch and absolutely clean pockets. It's not my place to reveal their secrets (they were making a video of their work to send to Simonis), but a combination of gluing and stapling, along with precise placement of the cloth and measurement of the stretch, produced outstanding results.

Here are some pictures:

View attachment 142358

The table is a 9' Gandy

View attachment 142361
View attachment 142359

The cloth work is impeccable.

View attachment 142362
View attachment 142360

As a finishing touch, I asked that they "sleeve" the pockets. It was unnecessary (I felt bad about covering up the good work underneath), but I really like the look.

The difference that a top-tier mechanic can make is amazing. There may be cheaper guys out there, but a small differential in price buys a whole 'nother world of quality. I wholeheartedly recommend either Pat (PoolTable911.com) or Bob (A Level Above Pool Table Service 610 812-4023) to anyone looking for table work in the Tri-State area.

Bob and Pat, you guys are making a very good team, and I can see you've got that gluing system down pat as well as the RKC pockets....great finishing touch:grin:

You two learn to fast for me to keep up:grin:

Glen

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
Chuck,
Thank you for the kind words. Bob, Oscar and I enjoyed working for you. It is nice to work for someone who knows a little bit about how a table goes together and how it should play. If you need anything in the future just give us a call. :thumbup:

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, Bob is a real good dude. He and his helper put my table together and recut the pockets to 4-3/8". My table is a GC knockoff and was NOT easy to get right. 2 years later it still plays great!.....but
I don't :)

Gerry