Good With a Rifle=Good at Pool?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I can't prove it, but I just have a hunch that those good with a rifle at a young age seem to pick-up making balls faster than the ones that didn't shoot a rifle. Johnnyt

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started shooting at a young age, both Bolt action and semi auto, now that i think of it i can see the similarities of them both, like eye sight and alignment for both Shooting and pool. I have been considered a tough player every where i played pool.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I started shooting at a young age, both Bolt action and semi auto, now that i think of it i can see the similarities of them both, like eye sight and alignment for both Shooting and pool. I have been considered a tough player every where i played pool.

Yes, that's exactly why I think good with a rifle helps. Thank you. Johnnyt

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I won some competitions with a rifle when I was a kid. I shoot sporting clays half ass decently now, and I still can't play pool.

LIAKOS27

NOT banned (yet)
Silver Member
I can't prove it, but I just have a hunch that those good with a rifle at a young age seem to pick-up making balls faster than the ones that didn't shoot a rifle. Johnnyt

Yes, I have been bullseye shooting for exactly 1 yr yesterday. My winnings are $8,400.00 in the last 9 months.

I definitely put in a couple hrs a day of practice for first couple months but now I'm down to 15-20 minutes every other day! And it looks like I'll be making another 1k this month;)

Does shooting and pool go hand in hand??? I think so!

And for those wondering, I was barely hitting the paper at 15 yds with iron sights first month and by the second I was shooting 3" groups with my 1911!

Having a very mechanical background, I also started doing trigger jobs! I have about 30 jobs out there and all my customers couldn't be happier!

Whodathunk after wanting and buying my dream gun (Beretta 92fs) with money I won gambling some 1-hole on a BARBOX!!!! I would go on to make close to 10k shooting led down range?!?! :)

Eli

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I won some competitions with a rifle when I was a kid. I shoot sporting clays half ass decently now, and I still can't play pool.

Me too...I wish I played pool as well as I can shoot a rifle.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I have been bullseye shooting for exactly 1 yr yesterday. My winnings are $8,400.00 in the last 9 months.

I definitely put in a couple hrs a day of practice for first couple months but now I'm down to 15-20 minutes every other day! And it looks like I'll be making another 1k this month;)

And for those wondering, I was barely hitting the paper at 15 yds with iron sights first month and by the second I was shooting 3" groups with my 1911!

Having a very mechanical background, I also started doing trigger jobs! I have about 30 jobs out there and all my customers couldn't be happier!

Whodathunk after wanting and buying my dream gun (Beretta 92fs) with money I won gambling some 1-hole on a BARBOX!!!! I would go on to make close to 10k shooting led down range?!?! :)

Eli

How do you make money at it? Do they have tournaments?

As for the OP - I would agree with this. I was a very good marksman from the age of 6 or 7 when I started shooting rifles regularly. And when I started playing pool it was natural to sight down the cue and figure out where the ball needed to go.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
In the early 80's I spent a few years in college and came out with a degree as a Gunsmith. I was a good shot at rifles, hand guns and shotguns. I was particularly good at hitting clay pigeons or beer bottles :embarrassed2: with a .22 rifle that were thrown in the air. I hit 11 blue rocks in a row in front of a crowd of my peers in 1982. These were not thrown at warp speed or anything but it was a accomplishment that I am still proud of today.

I figured that I could match this with the "rolling spot shot" on a pool table but I have only hit five in a row on my Diamond pro. Fats could hit these endlessly. I do think there is a correlation between the two types of shooting.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played pretty good pool before joining the Marine Corps when I was 18.

I had never fired a weapon in my life before boot camp.

We had the M14 rifle at that time which is a bit of a beast.

I took to it almost from day one.

On pre qualification day I shot a 220 good for an expert badge.

On qualification day I shot a 219 good for a sharp shooter badge.

Did being good at pool help with the shooting?

Maybe.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think target shooting is easier than pool. A new rifle shooter can hit real good in the first session. I don't see a connection between the 2. Put a scope on a rifle and use prone position...it's hard to miss.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMG_0114.jpg

I would say there's something to it

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member

Eli

So tell us, Deadeye, exactly which shooting sport do you participate in that would pay you over eight grand in the past few months? And you've only been shooting for a year?

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Such a stupid thread, the only relation the two share is the term "shooting." Shooting rifles is easy, as long as you hold the gun steadily on target and pull the trigger, the gun does all the work. "Shooting" a cue ball on target takes much more skill and physical coordination...

Good eyesight/hand eye coordination, with focus and confidence in one's ability=good at shooting anything, whether it be with a cue, club, rifle, pistol, racket, whatever it is. When people who aren't military boast about their marksmanship, it's usually because they aren't very coordinated/aren't very good at sports imo

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Such a stupid thread, the only relation the two share is the term "shooting." Shooting rifles is easy, as long as you hold the gun steadily on target and pull the trigger, the gun does all the work. "Shooting" a cue ball on target takes much more skill and physical coordination...

Good eyesight/hand eye coordination, with focus and confidence in one's ability=good at shooting anything, whether it be with a cue, club, rifle, pistol, racket, whatever it is. When people who aren't military boast about their marksmanship, it's usually because they aren't very coordinated/aren't very good at sports imo

I find many similarities that translate.Training your eyes,preshot routine,and the mental ability to take one shot at a time with 100% commitment every shot.

And "easy" fades away when matched up with other good shooters.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I think target shooting is easier than pool. A new rifle shooter can hit real good in the first session. I don't see a connection between the 2. Put a scope on a rifle and use prone position...it's hard to miss.

Not at 600 yards ;) There are no gimme's at that distance.