New felt job

Busbee Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

When you get a quote to have the felt replaced on your table what is generally all included in this job?

When stretching the felt shouldn't it have a uniform appearance?
The rail edges are rippled from uneven stretching over the rubber, I would say this is a poor job but is this something that works itself out as the felt relaxes?

Attached is a picture of how the felt looks on the underside of the rails, I would say this is a very poor job.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• cloth.jpg
    cloth.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_2424.jpg
    IMG_2424.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_2427.jpg
    IMG_2427.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 293

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Edit: I'm not a mechanic, thought this was in main forum.

I played in a room for a few years about 15 years ago that had ripples on the noses of the cushions on nearly all the tables, right after the cloth install. The owner said they would relax and come out. They never "relaxed". Ever.

I can't tell from your picture if the ripples you have are on the nose itself, or only under it. Sorry to see you didn't get a good install:(

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rail cloth was pulled too tight. Looks like a do-over is in order to me.

Dartman

Silver Member
Pulled too tight and unevenly.
You're probably looking at a new rail cloth set unless they
left enough under the rails to unstaple and restretch.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Hello,

When you get a quote to have the felt replaced on your table what is generally all included in this job?

When stretching the felt shouldn't it have a uniform appearance?
The rail edges are rippled from uneven stretching over the rubber, I would say this is a poor job but is this something that works itself out as the felt relaxes?

Attached is a picture of how the felt looks on the underside of the rails, I would say this is a very poor job.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Not a mechanic but I do my own mechanics. That is a very poor job. If it's simmonis, they should have followed the DVD, it works perfectly. If you're stuck with the job they did, you can buy the DVD and a stapler and fix the mess they made fairly easily if they left enough material to grab.

RUMMY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rail cloth was pulled directly under the point where it was secured to the rail, causing the cushions to be compressed at those points. The cushions are now already under compression at those points and not under compression at the places between staples.

As a player, doesn’t one look for uniformity? The above example does not provide that. In appearance nor playability. Since the cushion is already compressed, a ball striking that point of the rail may tend to rebound differently. The constant compression can also cause the cushion to “expire” faster with excessive play.

Busbee Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you to everyone that replied plus the private messages.

I have came to an acceptable resolution with the installer. Neither one of us are totally happy with how it worked out but I believe we both learned a valuable lesson.