Long Run...Pandemic will help Pros?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I think billiards/pool of some type, will be more prevalent on TV in the next few years.
With our sport not needing a football arena/parking etc. to show case players skills, and an expected/at home increase in table sales....because many will no longer will want to got to Large Venues, matters could change for the better.

There will also be many large buildings becoming vacant in all parts of the country, and the landowners I'm sure would welcome our sport now, more than they have in the past, here in the US.

Your thoughts?

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have amateur and recreational players on this message board who are willing to infect others and get infected. Rinse and repeat.

These are professionals and believe me they can't wait to head back out in the wild.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see only small business being negatively affected by all this, especially bars and whatever billiards is left in the U.S What people will risk trying to open pool halls in the next year or so?- there is a REASON those buildings will be empty. The LAST business I would consider starting over the next year is a pool hall. I appreciate your optimism- I believe that it is way over the top, even though I wish you were right

Major sports will be back in business as usual within 18 months - too much at stake in terms of the value of teams to the owners - Many sports teams are worth hundreds of millions ONLY if the sports reopen like before- and for that reason alone- they will! Pool is not going to replace any major sport anytime soon IMO. At least not here -already opening parts of Disneyworld in FL. - it is all money driven as expected. Major enterprises will not sit back and watch themselves fold.

Last edited:

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see only small business being negatively affected by all this, especially bars and whatever billiards is left in the U.S What people will risk trying to open pool halls in the next year or so?- there is a REASON those buildings will be empty. The LAST business I would consider starting over the next year is a pool hall. I appreciate your optimism- I believe that it is way over the top, even though I wish you were right

Major sports will be back in business as usual within 18 months - too much at stake in terms of the value of teams to the owners - Many sports teams are worth hundreds of millions ONLY if the sports reopen like before- and for that reason alone- they will! Pool is not going to replace any major sport anytime soon IMO. At least not here

Pool rooms will be ok. If an owner decides to close up shop and run then its perfect opportunity for many other entrepreneurs to get get a turnkey business with a renegotiated lease.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Hate to be negative, but this disease is a dagger in the heart of pool tournaments and group events for quite a while. Maybe small, closed events like Filler and Chohan for awhile, but how long will that keep pros in the chips? It's hard to be optimistic but medical science is so incredible, if it can be done it will be done. We need to all pray for a vaccine.

Last edited:

Scrunge19

Registered
Tough to count on home table ownership increasing in a meaningful way. Obviously it varies on where you live but I’ve found it extremely difficult to find a house that has the required amount of unobstructed space to fit a table.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... players on this message board who are willing to infect others and get infected.

Hank, will you autograph this for us?

TheLastSuper-1.jpg

Island Drive

Silver Member
Tough to count on home table ownership increasing in a meaningful way. Obviously it varies on where you live but I’ve found it extremely difficult to find a house that has the required amount of unobstructed space to fit a table.

True, but man can only stay still for so long. I do tho feel these large sq. ft. shopping malls will no longer be able to fill a 10,000 sq. ft building easily, like in the past. Getting 1/2 of what you'd like to receive, is waaaaaaaaay better than Zero $$$.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool rooms will be ok. If an owner decides to close up shop and run then its perfect opportunity for many other entrepreneurs to get get a turnkey business with a renegotiated lease.

Good Luck on that one- I doubt many will step up to reopen pool halls that have closed- One does not put money into a business sector unless there is a business reason why it looks to be promising - nothing in the U.S. pool world has that much promise right now to draw in new money- from what I see.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not really.

And...I don’t care. I never watch pro American pool and nobody I play with has any interest in watching pool. Just like fishing..why watch when I can fish myself?

Pro billiards has two established markets. One for Snooker. One for Chinese 8 ball. Games with more variety and unpredictability. American pool keeps trying to find ways to dress up a non spectator sport and sell it. Isn’t going to happen. It’s the game...not the marketing. It’s a great game to play but watching pros play is akin to..yawn...What exactly is going to happen that gets folks sitting on the edge of their seat?

I play in a Snooker league and just about everyone watches pro Snooker. I play hockey and everyone follows pro hockey. American Pool has millions of players and, like fishing, that’s it’s strength.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not true. According to Disney, NONE of the FL or CA parks are opening anything, any time soon. Disney did reopen Disneyland in Shanghai China with limited access, and several conditions for the visitors.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

At least not here -already opening parts of Disneyworld in FL. - .

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've seen an owner close up, someone else buy the tables and make a successful business in the same town but my guess new owners will be hard to find for awhile.

You are one decision by a health director, mayor or governor away from having your business ruined.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not true. According to Disney, NONE of the FL or CA parks are opening anything, any time soon. Disney did reopen Disneyland in Shanghai China with limited access, and several conditions for the visitors.

Scott Lee

Universal Studios Orlando announced an opening today- calm down! You understand my point- ALL the BIG sports parks will open as soon as they can possibly do so- it is all about the money in the end.

Island Drive

Silver Member
If you have a 10,000 sq. ft room at 1/2 the normal cost of rent, you could purchase 1/2 the amount of tables needed and create Great Spacing between each table....see thru curtains. Major concern tho, ventilation.

Just today.....Elon Musk just listed 5 more mansions for sale after pledging to 'own no house.'

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll believe that when I see it, and Universal is not part of Disney. If they do open, it will be with drastic limitations on visitors, and plenty of restrictions (25% maximum, which doesn't even begin to pay the bills). You do realize that sports arenas that open back up for pro sports will have ZERO fans don't you. The PGA is starting back too...but it will be without fans on the course. How exactly does that make money for the venues? There will certainly be some TV $$$, but the lion's share goes to the networks.

Scott Lee

Universal Studios Orlando announced an opening today- calm down! You understand my point- ALL the BIG sports parks will open as soon as they can possibly do so- it is all about the money in the end.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll believe that when I see it, and Universal is not part of Disney. If they do open, it will be with drastic limitations on visitors, and plenty of restrictions (25% maximum, which doesn't even begin to pay the bills). You do realize that sports arenas that open back up for pro sports will have ZERO fans don't you. The PGA is starting back too...but it will be without fans on the course. How exactly does that make money for the venues? There will certainly be some TV $$$, but the lion's share goes to the networks.

Scott Lee

Yes, I am agreeing with you 100%. Most pro sports will begin without fans, but by 2021 , unless there is a major setback, we will begin to see the major sports have fans re- enter the arenas; just because there is so much money involved. The idea, however, posed in this thread, that pool will have some sort of resurgence due to this virus situation is ludicrous at best. if anything, small business owners will shy away from expanding into a venue like pool when looking for places to put money into a new business. I don't care how many empty buildings exist, and what type of rental agreements are available- nobody is putting good money into chasing bleeding business concepts.