Great American vs. Valley

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought the Valley and now this Great American Eagle just came up.

Great America Eagle 44" X 88" vs. Valley 44" x 88". Both will need new cushions and cloth

Which one is best and why.

Thanks!

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Great America Eagle 44" X 88" vs. Valley 44" x 88". Both will need new cushions and cloth

Thanks!
Depends on how old they are. The newer valley's, roughly 1990's on, have all parts still available. Not sure about great American.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, I want one of the little Valley's too. And no I don't need advice to get a 9' Gold Crown, I already have one. I want the barbox to put in another corner of my basement. Local pool supply's won't deliver a Valley to my basement. They tell me to get my friends to carry it down the stairs. Crap, I'm 70, half my friends are dead and the rest aren't really up to the task.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, I want one of the little Valley's too. And no I don't need advice to get a 9' Gold Crown, I already have one. I want the barbox to put in another corner of my basement. Local pool supply's won't deliver a Valley to my basement. They tell me to get my friends to carry it down the stairs. Crap, I'm 70, half my friends are dead and the rest aren't really up to the task.

It's much easier if you unbolt the sub rails, and take the slate down separate. And you'll be surprised what you can get younger people to do if you tell them there's a couple cases of beer at the end of the trail.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's much easier if you unbolt the sub rails, and take the slate down separate. And you'll be surprised what you can get younger people to do if you tell them there's a couple cases of beer at the end of the trail.

None of the 3-slate-guys around here want anything to do with coin-op tables. You're gonna love the excuse..."I'm just too damn old." Tell me about it.

From what I can find(which ain't much) 8 foot Valleys have 3/4" slates and 8 foot Great Americans have 15/16" slates. Is that true or just a Sea Story?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None of the 3-slate-guys around here want anything to do with coin-op tables. You're gonna love the excuse..."I'm just too damn old." Tell me about it.

From what I can find(which ain't much) 8 foot Valleys have 3/4" slates and 8 foot Great Americans have 15/16" slates. Is that true or just a Sea Story?

Talk to the local high school football coach. Maybe a small donation to the team will get you 5 or 6 burley football players to move it for you. I have heard of that being done in a small town near me.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Both have 7/8" slate.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

You MIGHT be able to get the slate downstairs, but that don't mean you can get the body downstairs, and it don't disassemble!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Thanks!

Great American copied Valley.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You MIGHT be able to get the slate downstairs, but that don't mean you can get the body downstairs, and it don't disassemble!

That's true. I'm aware of that. I was pointing to the fact that the box would be lighter and more manageable. A downside to it is it would be easier to break your slate if you screw up and drop it or something.

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Check with a local moving company. Make sure they have insurance,lol.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you pull the slate out it takes a good 150 pounds out. You can protect the side and slide it downstairs with 2 or 3 guys. Just need to do it slowly and not let it get away from you. Maybe hire movers.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If you pull the slate out it takes a good 150 pounds out. You can protect the side and slide it downstairs with 2 or 3 guys. Just need to do it slowly and not let it get away from you. Maybe hire movers.

150lbs out??? How about closer to 400lbs....LOL and the empty cabinet weighs just about as much empty.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I went and looked at a valley that the owner neglected to add in the sale that to get it in the apartment they saw zawed in half. Seriously .. they took out the slate sawed off I 3rd of the table and then used wood on the sides to keep it together when they got it back in lol

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I went and looked at a valley that the owner neglected to add in the sale that to get it in the apartment they saw zawed in half. Seriously .. they took out the slate sawed off I 3rd of the table and then used wood on the sides to keep it together when they got it back in lol

That is the second one this month that did that to Valley to move it.
I loved the descriptions on these online selling sites!
Usually there is no description and only one really bad photo.

A person here on AzB who is a skilled carpenter, sawed his Valley in half, then pinned it together after he got it down the stairs.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess as long as it’s level it doesn’t really matter until you goto resell it haha

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
150lbs out??? How about closer to 400lbs....LOL and the empty cabinet weighs just about as much empty.

Well I must have superhuman friends cause I've got one here.

If you were an Egyptian...there never would have been pyramids!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Well I must have superhuman friends cause I've got one here.

If you were an Egyptian...there never would have been pyramids!

Maybe yours has MDF for the playing surface instead of real slate too...LOL as the real weight of the slate is not even close to 150lbs, I know, I've been lifting them out of the valley tables to recover them for 38 years!!