I know weight is a matter of preference, but I got a question

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Physics question:

Let's say an example, on a draw shot.

We have the same player, with the same exact stroke every single time, shooting one time with 19oz cue, then another time with the exact same cue but reduced to 17oz.

Let's assume he shot the same shot with both, and also same emotion, backstroke, everything to the teeth, also he hit down on the cueball on the same exact point.

Now my question is, with which cue does the cueball travel further to the back?

If both shots are with the same "stroke speed".....the heavier cue will produce more distance as long as all other variables are identical.

Having said that, 99% of the free world can heat the cb up more with a slightly lighter cue since they can produce a faster "stroke speed" with less weight.

^^^^;;;is the non-scientific version.

Jeff

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a robot is shooting the shot at the same speed each time, why would the results vary?

pj
chgo

The speed is not specified. The speed is only constant for each comparison. It could be set higher than optimal or lower than optimal. I'm saying high might favor one cue and low, the other.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The speed is not specified. The speed is only constant for each comparison. It could be set higher than optimal or lower than optimal. I'm saying high might favor one cue and low, the other.
So a cue’s results might “see-saw” even at a constant stroke speed if that speed is too high or low for that cue? Care to explain how that would happen?

pj
chgo

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So a cue’s results might “see-saw” even at a constant stroke speed if that speed is too high or low for that cue? Care to explain how that would happen?

pj
chgo

Not quite. I think we're all talking tip speed at impact with a decaying delivery. IOW there is no impetus on the cue at impact and only the mass of the cue to displace the ball; much like a normal human stroke.

Say the 19 draws more at optimal speed. If the speed is increased beyond optimal, my guess is it will draw less while the 17 draws more. The inverse would happen if the speed is dropped beneath the threshold. Note, more and less are always relative to each cue per comparison; not the collective distances.

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All specs, conditions, speed, star alignment, rotation of earth, being equal other than weight of cue, the heavier cue will draw the ball back the furthest.

~ 2 ball widths :D for average stroke

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All specs, conditions, speed, star alignment, rotation of earth, being equal other than weight of cue, the heavier cue will draw the ball back the furthest.

I love that comment, straight to the point. Rep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread is now total bullshit, why am I taking the bait? I feel like I want to help, but nothing works. This is my last attempt, and while I ignore no one at all, I'm most certainly going to look for a way to ignore individual threads.

Physics question:

...with the same exact stroke every single time...

Notice the all inclusive word "exact". Within that inclusion is force. If the force changes it will no longer be exact, so that can't be changed.

Please understand... energy in = energy out.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think you're being generous. I'm thinkin' the width of a chalk cube. Tops. ;)

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread is now total bullshit, why am I taking the bait? I feel like I want to help, but nothing works. This is my last attempt, and while I ignore no one at all, I'm most certainly going to look for a way to ignore individual threads.

Notice the all inclusive word "exact". Within that inclusion is force. If the force changes it will no longer be exact, so that can't be changed.

Please understand... energy in = energy out.

Besides it's April 1st, there's 2 oz difference between the shots. That means for a free swinging stroke, the impacts are not at the same stroke force or if the same stroke force is used, the two cues will travel at different speeds or if the idea is identical cue speed, the impacts will be subject to the 2 oz difference anyway. Not important if I missed any more inequity.

PLUS the stroke speed is not specified. You can do the comparison with too much speed and too little speed where the results will be reciprocals; opposite.

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exact same means same acceleration, and tip speed. Heavier cue wins.

A free falling cue, both cues accelerate the same. Gravity is a *****. So again the 19 oz cues imparts ~11.6% more force.

:slap::banghead:

I had my physicist friend Sheldon run the numbers taking into account the rotational speed of the galaxy around the SMBH at the center. The 19 oz cue would lose 2nm if shot second. But still travel further :grin-square:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
If this is all really a concern I suggest an 18 oz cue and a xanax.

Sent from the future.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sent from the future.

I’m not trying to choose a weight bro, I’m just entertaining a thought.

Also I want forum members to have something to think about during our stay at home :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sent from the future.
Best post yet. When people reach their corona boredom limits threads like this pop up. Now, what's the best chalk again????????

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are pushing a 2000 pound car on a level road at ten miles an hour and it hits a stationary car 40 yards in front of it how much "force" will be transferred to the car that is hit?

If you add 200 pounds of weight into the trunk of that car and do the same task, does it take more effort to get the car up to 10 miles an hour?

When the heavier car hits the stationary car, does it increase the impact and cause more damage?