Please Post pic's of Your Real Balabushka's

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
I owned an original Balabushka years ago.

Unfortunately back then no cell phones with cameras to take pictures & i don't have a photo of the cue.

I just have my memories of what the cue looked like.

It was a plain 4 point cue with no inlays

I did quick google search and found one that looks very similar to the cue i had.

I loved the way the cue played and still regret ever getting rid of it. :banghead:

View attachment 545187

This. This is the perfect cue.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
here's an unusual early (late 50's early 60's) Bushka with green/gold swirly acrylic and titlist blank in incredible all orig condition.

Attachments

• Bushka-Green-full.jpg
    Bushka-Green-full.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 315
  • Bushka-Green-buttsleeve-lg.jpg
    Bushka-Green-buttsleeve-lg.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 320
  • Bushka-Green-points.jpg
    Bushka-Green-points.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 326

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
here's a very traditional ebony one...

Attachments

• Bushka-full-w-case.jpg
    Bushka-full-w-case.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 327
  • Bushka-forearm.jpg
    Bushka-forearm.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 314
  • Bushka-buttsleeve-ferrules.jpg
    Bushka-buttsleeve-ferrules.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 320

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
and this one with glitter bands all redone beautifully by Pete.

Attachments

• Bushka-Glitter-full.jpg
    Bushka-Glitter-full.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 305
  • Bushka-Glitter-bushka-ring2.jpg
    Bushka-Glitter-bushka-ring2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 303
  • Bushka-Glitter-buttsleeve2.jpg
    Bushka-Glitter-buttsleeve2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 304
  • Bushka-Glitter-pin.jpg
    Bushka-Glitter-pin.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 316

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
SUPER NICE Bushka ….
" I look at the Glitter-bands....
I wonder if they were originally some kind of gears out of a machine, or clock or ?????
Definitely unique

there sure has been a lot of speculation over the years about these glitter bands. Pete doesn't know - I think at one point the leading hypothesis was they were poss some sort of packing used in plumbing perhaps that were avail at a local Brooklyn hardware/plumbing store. Alternate guess from Pete was maybe something used in musical instruments like an accordian. He says the glitter part that we see is foil on a clear substrate with a canvas backing. Pete says George's two sons also have no idea what it is.

The Russian master has us guessing all these years later. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow , Some Beautiful Bushka's . That was what I had in Mind. I did not want to use the search function , I wanted the Lucky owners to be able to proudly display their Bushka's and we could be in awe of them and maybe we could learn the history of the Cue and maybe a few cool pool hall stories to go along with it. Like Mr White and the Memory of his grandfather buying it from George Himself. You do not get that with the search feature. Fan's of George's work was looking forward to this thread and Yes , Thanks to some it went to crap really quick .

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow , Some Beautiful Bushka's . That was what I had in Mind. I did not want to use the search function , I wanted the Lucky owners to be able to proudly display their Bushka's and we could be in awe of them and maybe we could learn the history of the Cue and maybe a few cool pool hall stories to go along with it. Like Mr White and the Memory of his grandfather buying it from George Himself. You do not get that with the search feature. Fan's of George's work was looking forward to this thread and Yes , Thanks to some it went to crap really quick .

How in the fuuuuk can you claim one doesn't find things posted on here by searching for them. You do realize you are saying future users won't see the info here, right?

A little effort in the future. That's all you're being asked for.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
there sure has been a lot of speculation over the years about these glitter bands. Pete doesn't know - I think at one point the leading hypothesis was they were poss some sort of packing used in plumbing perhaps that were avail at a local Brooklyn hardware/plumbing store. Alternate guess from Pete was maybe something used in musical instruments like an accordian. He says the glitter part that we see is foil on a clear substrate with a canvas backing. Pete says George's two sons also have no idea what it is.

The Russian master has us guessing all these years later. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc

" Maybe they are some kind of knobs,
off of an appliance or machine or a radio or tv.
ALSO ,
I think I read somewhere George use actual nickels for His silver nickel joint collar rings"

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is what you are looking for https://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just learned sumthin,,,,, I didn't know George ever used BEM for the forearm. I thought all his cues were straight grain maple.

Guess I don't know it all after all.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How in the fuuuuk can you claim one doesn't find things posted on here by searching for them. You do realize you are saying future users won't see the info here, right?

A little effort in the future. That's all you're being asked for.

I Think You are missing the idea behind the thread , it is the spirit of it and giving a chance for owners display there cues with stories and Memories. YOU GUY'S WIN , I THROW UP THE WHITE FLAG.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I just learned sumthin,,,,, I didn't know George ever used BEM for the forearm. I thought all his cues were straight grain maple.

Guess I don't know it all after all.

The cue you were referring to didn't look like straight grain maple necessarily but certainly didn't look like birds eye to me either did you see any actual bird's-eyes in that one? I'm certainly no expert but the waviness that's in the maple maybe more of what I've heard referred to as quilting

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Think You are missing the idea behind the thread , it is the spirit of it and giving a chance for owners display there cues with stories and Memories. YOU GUY'S WIN , I THROW UP THE WHITE FLAG.

While not encouraging current viewers the benefit of previously shared information on the topic?

Sounds like a half-assed gift to me.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue you were referring to didn't look like straight grain maple necessarily but certainly didn't look like birds eye to me either did you see any actual bird's-eyes in that one? I'm certainly no expert but the waviness that's in the maple maybe more of what I've heard referred to as quilting

I agree with you, I have circled the part of the pic that led me to think it was BEM.

I'm no expert either (by a long shot), this wood grain looks very different from all the other cues he made (Disclaimer: that i have seen)

edit,,, the upload failed but i the eyes are visible to me near the ends of the points (in between the points,,, there are 2 or 3 of them)

Attachments

• Bushka-forearm_LI.jpg
    Bushka-forearm_LI.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 322
Last edited: