How about some positive stories about Cuemakers

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
We have been bombarded by many Negative Stores about BAD EXPERENCE with Cuemakers.

Eddie Wheat & Tony Zinzola come to mind as two scoundrels, who have both not treated AZB Members well.

But I am sure there are many stories of Cue & Casemakers that are positive, that are like dominos falling in a line of 10,0000 Dominos. All fell perfectly.

Zero problems, Mary Cue & Casemaker have a delay or two, but these professionals communicate well, and deliever as promised.

Not sure Dennis Swift of KY is still building Cue Cases, but Dennis is honest as the day is long.

Ron Thomas of Louisana was also a great person to deal with, sadly he & wife are in bad health, so I understand her too is retired.

Jack Justis is retired, but Jack did wonderful work, and deliever fast.

Jim Buss -Cuemaker is also retire I believe, but was another great guy to deal with.

Joe Whiten put a 2 X 4 Case on E-bay one I snagged it as a blemish, honestly the blemish was nothing, Joe is a fine Casemaker. I still scratch my head, what was a blem, the blem was almost unnoticeable IMHO.

Just a few positive EXPERENCES.

Who else has something positive to say?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i have 2 cues by chris nitti custom made for me
he was a pleasure to work with
returned phone calls/texts/emails
and the cues are SUPERB....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought one from Dave at cues directly.
His work was spot on; his actions/behavior/communication perfect.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Coos Cues-My highest recommendation

I recently asked a guy who makes Cues here who frequents NPR, JC-- Coos Cues to find me something that was really light that would fit my shafts 3/8 x 10
and he did. He found me a solution that was affordable for me so I could try out the weight before having a cue made. He was extremely fair with me and I'm still playing
around with it. My shafts weighed different weights so my total weight varied some what I found out for sure what I have always suspected. In many cases due to the faster
cloth today you can get away with an ultra light cue.

JC is the man and makes beautiful cues. probably my next. http://www.cooscues.com/

My highest recommendation.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Excellent thread !!!!!!!!

1st cue ordered Mike Capone- EXCELLENT- ALL AROUND CUE BUILD-
DELIVERED RIGHT ON TIME- " Mike put my cue- along with others He built in the pics for the 3rd ed Blue Book

Rick Howard- bulit 2 awesome cues- 1 titlist conversion, 1 custom 6 point-
pertfect cues and completed right on time

Mike Bender- titlist conversion- EXCELLENT GUY TO WORK WITH GETTING MY CUE DONE- COMPLETED RIGHT ON TIME.

ANDY GILBERT- TITLIST CONVERSION- PERFECT CUE- Andy and Vicky 2 awesome people- cue completed right on time.

Mike Lambros- built me a really nice Ultra joint 6 point cue-perfect cue-delivered right on time.

Garetn Bierbower- 4 point player- My Avatar-
Great to deal with and cue came out perfect- great to order a cue from.

Jerry Rauenzahn built me a nice titlist conversion cue-Jerry was always great at taking care of business

I ordered a cue from South West- came out PERFECT- Laurie is one of THE VERY BEST IN CUE BUSINESS -
She kept me informed throughout the long wait and cue was delivered right on time

Last edited:

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will second the Gilbert's. Great to work with and great craftsmanship.

I ordered a Swift case and it came in beautiful, on time and on quoted price. Was really happy with it. Had a friend who has had the total opposite dealing with Swift.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry Rauenzahn just called me from his retirement home in Florida

I bought a dozen cues from him and enjoyed every minute of it

he would deliver on time to the day,do great work and provide timely progress reports

As a result I recommended him to dozens of people who bought from him

Yestrday, I asked Paul Drexler for some information about a problem that
another cue maker was having,Paul immediately knew and told me exactly
what was causing the problem and who to buy what kind of Epoxy to finish it
along with an inner construction problem

in expailining the reason behind it he referred to flex point,boom something or other and other such stuff

He also talked about woods and their suppliers,I never realized that Paul had pieces of wood that cost in excess of $1000
enough for 1 cue

You see Paul uses the very best of everything fromspecial epoxy to radial pins tnternally to the very best woods
Thisiswhy buterswho want the best like him

speaking of Paul i sent him some tusk many years ago,he agreed to make me 11 cues to repay me

I was expecting $1500 to $2000 cues back then

The first cue he sent I sold for $25,000 so I sent him $12,500,he called to ask whats this far? I told him we were even now

he said"i thought we had a deal"

Never in my life had I dealt with someone like this,The cues kept coming and i kept sending half the money
back to him telling him we are even"he kept reminding me we had a deal

I have seen Paul go through good times and hard times,and I must admit he is a man of his character

Last time he sent me a cue I knew he had taken a big blow so I sent him all the money and said "quit sending me free cues"

He said I had a big Cherokee Dancer coming and that would get us even.

In case you have not seen his cherokee dancer look it up on his Face Book
you will see why I frequently respond on threads claiming he is the best cue
maker in the history of our art

funny story, I wanted a plain semi ugly merry widow for a pool trip where it
was to my advantage not to draw any unnessesary attention to myself

Paul made me a merry widow with no wrap,no bells and no whistles, I liked the pla
and everything about it,but my straight shoting friends did not like it

I called and told Paul that nobody liked the cue but me

"whats the deal?'

He explained"oh,those guys have a nice stroke, I made this for you"

Sometimes he can be a wise guy

Last edited:
We have been bombarded by many Negative Stores about BAD EXPERENCE with Cuemakers.

Eddie Wheat & Tony Zinzola come to mind as two scoundrels, who have both not treated AZB Members well.

But I am sure there are many stories of Cue & Casemakers that are positive, that are like dominos falling in a line of 10,0000 Dominos. All fell perfectly.

Zero problems, Mary Cue & Casemaker have a delay or two, but these professionals communicate well, and deliever as promised.

Not sure Dennis Swift of KY is still building Cue Cases, but Dennis is honest as the day is long.

Ron Thomas of Louisana was also a great person to deal with, sadly he & wife are in bad health, so I understand her too is retired.

Jack Justis is retired, but Jack did wonderful work, and deliever fast.

Jim Buss -Cuemaker is also retire I believe, but was another great guy to deal with.

Joe Whiten put a 2 X 4 Case on E-bay one I snagged it as a blemish, honestly the blemish was nothing, Joe is a fine Casemaker. I still scratch my head, what was a blem, the blem was almost unnoticeable IMHO.

Just a few positive EXPERENCES.

Who else has something positive to say?

Mike Durbin builds an amazing hitting cue, and is a super nice guy, and is very honest.

I believe that his full time job has always been farming, but he has been building really great cues since the mid 90's.

My 1st custom cue, from when I was a kid, was a Durbin. I really miss that cue.

Last edited:

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Jerry Rauenzahn just called me from his retirement home in Florida

I bought a dozen cues from him and enjoyed every minute of it

he would deliver on time to the day,do great work and provide timely progress reports

As a result I recommended him to dozens of people who bought from him

Yestrday, I asked Paul Drexler for some information about a problem that
another cue maker was having,Paul immediately knew and told me exactly
what was causing the problem and who to buy what kind of Epoxy to finish it
along with an inner construction problem

in expailining the reason behind it he referred to flex point,boom something or other and other such stuff

He also talked about woods and their suppliers,I never realized that Paul had pieces of wood that cost in excess of $1000
enough for 1 cue

You see Paul uses the very best of everything fromspecial epoxy to radial pins tnternally to the very best woods
Thisiswhy buterswho want the best like him

speaking of Paul i sent him some tusk many years ago,he agreed to make me 11 cues to repay me

I was expecting $1500 to $2000 cues back then

The first cue he sent I sold for $25,000 so I sent him $12,500,he called to ask whats this far? I told him we were even now

he said"i thought we had a deal"

Never in my life had I dealt with someone like this,The cues kept coming and i kept sending half the money
back to him telling him we are even"he kept reminding me we had a deal

I have seen Paul go through good times and hard times,and I must admit he is a man of his character

Last time he sent me a cue I knew he had taken a big blow so I sent him all the money and said "quit sending me free cues"

He said I had a big Cherokee Dancer coming and that would get us even.

In case you have not seen his cherokee dancer look it up on his Face Book
you will see why I frequently respond on threads claiming he is the best cue
maker in the history of our art

funny story, I wanted a plain semi ugly merry widow for a pool trip where it
was to my advantage not to draw any unnessesary attention to myself

Paul made me a merry widow with no wrap,no bells and no whistles, I liked the pla
and everything about it,but my straight shoting friends did not like it

I called and told Paul that nobody liked the cue but me

"whats the deal?'

He explained"oh,those guys have a nice stroke, I made this for you"

Sometimes he can be a wise guy

pfd cues are also my personnel favorite cues, ive never seen one cue done that wasn't finished to perfection, wasn't perfectly thought out and they play exceptional to boot, great feedback and balance.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good experiences with: Abe Rich (Star cues), Mike Capone, Andy Gilbert, Mike Johnson ( Jensen cues) Jim Buss, Ted Harris,Greg Kucharski, Proficient Billiards, Mueller Billiards, Troy Downey, Barry Cameron, Richard Black. Bob Durzuricky.

I am just mentioning the GOOD experiences, since that is the post.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The late Leonard Bludworth was once a regular poster on the Main Forum. He posted with class and humility and was a good role model for cuemakers in the way he interacted with pool players and enthusiasts.

RIP, Blud.

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Positive experiences

My very first custom cue order was a Jef Hicks ( Hicks Stix)
Ordered and paid then received cue On time! Best break stick I’ve ever owned

Second custom cue was a Jim Aldren. Ordered and received as promised, I was able to pick up in person.

Third custom order was a titlist conversion completed by Curtis Robertson, Robertson Custom Cues. I left a blank with him and we worked through details of build. Delivered on time as promised, it was his first conversion.

Fourth/fifth custom order was my Southwest order, I built two cues and after the initial wait, the build even with extra shafts was delivered as promised and both cues were perfect!

PHJ

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to Merlin Customs Cues about 2 years ago with a Brent Summers blank i picked up on my travels. Paid him half up front and the rest when the cue was finished. Been one of the best cues I’ve had the pleasure to play with highly recommend them small outfit in Indiana. Awesome to work with.