Good match.... with a caveat

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great pool. Commentary in Japanese. Still worth watching these two. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPHjfRpvk5g This was the biggest event on the Japanese tour and started with 900 players. Parica won EIGHT of nine events and finished 2nd in the other earning $290k for the year. Wow.

Last edited:

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder what other game was played on that table to have a center spot. Ta La?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great stuff here. Parica and Efren in their prime! First place was around $25-30,000! Earl finished third and he wasn't too happy. He had won his last tournament in Japan, the International 9-Ball Open (40K on top) when the Filipinos did not play. Sigel, Varner and Rempe took the top spots after Earl.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Parica out-shot and out-moved Efren.

Too bad JP doesn't get the attention he deserves.

Maniac

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Parica's cue shaft appeared to be in the 14mm range.
Probably just a full 13mm. Video is a tad blurry. I've seen him play a few times and i'd say he used 13mm when i saw him. Such a great cueist. Played REALLY good for the dough.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great stuff here. Parica and Efren in their prime! First place was around $25-30,000! Earl finished third and he wasn't too happy. He had won his last tournament in Japan, the International 9-Ball Open (40K on top) when the Filipinos did not play. Sigel, Varner and Rempe took the top spots after Earl.

One thing I noticed about a lot of matches with Parica, in the 80s, 90s he won a lot of early games with making the 9 or having an early combo with the 9 near the pocket. Racking with the 9 loose for some reason helped him more than others. A lot of the Accu-Stats matches I have with him has his winning multiple games a set on early 9 balls, more so than other players.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I noticed about a lot of matches with Parica, in the 80s, 90s he won a lot of early games with making the 9 or having an early combo with the 9 near the pocket. Racking with the 9 loose for some reason helped him more than others. A lot of the Accu-Stats matches I have with him has his winning multiple games a set on early 9 balls, more so than other players.
He could combo no doubt. Seen him do it playin' 1p as well. He could see them and execute.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found that guy calling the balls (for radio?) A fknoying. But he faded into irrelevance once I got into the match.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found that guy calling the balls (for radio?) A fknoying. But he faded into irrelevance once I got into the match.
Wasn't for radio. Having someone call the balls used to be quite common. Haven't heard of it being used since except maybe in some 14.1 events. I'll get ya refund, oh wait, it was free. ;)

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member

Where is AtLarge when you need him...lol

OP, thanks for the link! Been binge watching lots of older matches lately.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great match, even with the 1988 fuzzy picture I could follow the balls. I hate the new tournament ball colors. Young skinny Efren looks good. Parica never changes.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great match, even with the 1988 fuzzy picture I could follow the balls. I hate the new tournament ball colors. Young skinny Efren looks good. Parica never changed.
Agree 100% on those funky tv balls. I never had a problem with standard colors. With HD tv/streams its even easier.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Parica looked great. Thanks for the link.

Judging from how little the balls appeared to roll, the cloth looked like it might have been old style felt.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Parica looked great. Thanks for the link.

Judging from how little the balls appeared to roll, the cloth looked like it might have been old style felt.
It was pretty slow. That's about when Simonis started showing up. Probably one of the last big non-worsted cloth events.