Cuebuilder signatures and logos

yally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find a poorly executed signatures takes away from the final product. Have seen stunning cues with chicken scratch signatures. Why go through all that trouble and then flake out at the end?

Many high quality cuebuilders seem to have nailed a good lookin signature or logo. Seems to add a higher level of quality to the build.

Agree-disagree? Thoughts? Favorites?

PoloBob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do find illegible signatures to my disliking. Draw up a simple, clean logo or something. They can be plenty unique.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like logos more than signatures and long cue maker's name. The logos should be not too big.
e.g. I don't like too much the Olney logo, i find it too big and common. Though Olney cues are great looking cues.

Last edited:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Signature style/look is a non issue to me personally.
I don't buy or use a cue for a logo or signature.
The design work and craftsmanship is where its at.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I like this signature...but I like the cue even more. :)

Attachments

• DSCN0232.jpg
    DSCN0232.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 678

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with the OP, it's maddening to see a poorly scrawled signature between the points of a really nice cue. Any given person can find, within their circle of friends, somebody who has unusually nice penmanship. If a logo isn't preferred and a signature is used, it should look as nice as the cue.

In my opinion, the terrible signature on a fine cue is like having a hand built Ferrari come off the sales floor and the salesperson using a staple gun to put on the dealer plate.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I put my W in with a CNC but some people still want me to sign it also.............

Kim

Careyp74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with the op. A nice signature makes the cue look even nicer, which is probably why companies call special products their signature edition.

Along those same lines, when the date is put on, as I have mentioned in another thread, when dating a cue, an apostrophe replaces the first two numbers, like '14. I think it looks odd to write '14' or even "14"

I like Walker's logo, looks nice and neat.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
problem solved

i like cues just to show off the wood, i build cues using the highest quality wood i can get, and i DO NOT like my crappy signature, so i use a security [ invisable ink ] pen to wright my name and date under the finish. it can only be seen when the cue is put under a ultraviolet light [ old hippies black light ]
plus, only the owner knows the signatiure is there so if ever ownership is questioned, he has the answer.
photos are of a brunswick conversion

Attachments

• P7150006.jpg
    P7150006.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 481
  • P7150004.jpg
    P7150004.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 487

Careyp74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i like cues just to show off the wood, i build cues using the highest quality wood i can get, and i DO NOT like my crappy signature, so i use a security [ invisable ink ] pen to wright my name and date under the finish. it can only be seen when the cue is put under a ultraviolet light [ old hippies black light ]
plus, only the owner knows the signatiure is there so if ever ownership is questioned, he has the answer.
photos are of a brunswick conversion

Interesting. I wonder if anyone else does or did this in the past.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
yes, if you are gonna sign your name, be proud, generations to come are gonna use that cue one day, let them at least read it. Oh, and don't sign on the forearm, sign on the butt.

Carmeli might be a good cuemaker, but his sig is horrible, and he puts it on the forearm to boot, and looks more like a blemish than it does a signature.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with the OP, it's maddening to see a poorly scrawled signature between the points of a really nice cue. Any given person can find, within their circle of friends, somebody who has unusually nice penmanship. If a logo isn't preferred and a signature is used, it should look as nice as the cue.

In my opinion, the terrible signature on a fine cue is like having a hand built Ferrari come off the sales floor and the salesperson using a staple gun to put on the dealer plate.

Do you have OTHER people, with better writing skills, sign your checks to make them "look good"? If I am a banker, I want YOUR signature to IDENTIFY that YOU originated the check.

The same thing applies when I buy a cue. I want the cuemaker's own signature as HE prefers to use it on his cues. That is HIS mark...NOT something that is put on a cue as a cosmetic "beauty mark".

Aloha.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have OTHER people, with better writing skills, sign your checks to make them "look good"? If I am a banker, I want YOUR signature to IDENTIFY that YOU originated the check.

The same thing applies when I buy a cue. I want the cuemaker's own signature as HE prefers to use it on his cues. That is HIS mark...NOT something that is put on a cue as a cosmetic "beauty mark".

Aloha.

This.

I give customers a choice. A simple small (.150" tall) 3 character logo in butt cap, or a signature, or both. I prefer to sign (fairly small with an attempt to be neat) in a rosewood or other dark forearm so the signature is there when you want to see it, and not there when you don't. You can't please every customer with one or the other, so options are always a good thing.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Aloha.

Bingo!
Chuck

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Aloha.

kinda silly. Nobody is asking somebody else to sign the cues. I have several diff signatures. On mortagage documents, they are squiqqly lines that you could never guess it was my name. Then there are the check signatures, which are much better, but nothing great. Then there are the signatures on documents for work, that are friggin impeccable.

So, if they sign all their cues, the same way, in the same manner, thus taking the extra few seconds to do it neatly, nobody would mind. Lexus and Mercedes build fine machines, they don't stick broken name plates on the deck lid when they are done ;)

jmurphy

SWEET
Silver Member
I find a poorly executed signatures takes away from the final product. Have seen stunning cues with chicken scratch signatures. Why go through all that trouble and then flake out at the end?

Many high quality cuebuilders seem to have nailed a good lookin signature or logo. Seems to add a higher level of quality to the build.

Agree-disagree? Thoughts? Favorites?

Ernie of Ginacue has by FAR the best signature of any cue maker ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and he has a great Logo to boot.

Attachments

• Gina logo.jpg
    Gina logo.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 377
  • ernie.jpg
    ernie.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 401