Collar removial

chuck amos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to remove the collar from one shaft and replace it with a collar from another shaft that matches the cue, but is unplayable.
Any thoughts or suggestions on collar removal?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to remove the collar from one shaft and replace it with a collar from another shaft that matches the cue, but is unplayable.

Drill and bore, then part it off.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might run into trouble with the OD not matching the new shaft. It's already at whatever finish size for the shaft it's on. How much smaller is the new joint size?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
take the old shaft to the band saw..... saw off 6 inches of the joint end.......... in the lathe ... put a center in the cut off end.......... screw it on a mandrel and chuck it up in the lathe with a live center in the tail stock.............. turn a tenon on the piece right up to the ring or the collar to about .500 in diameter........... drill and bore a hole in a new shaft blank the is a nice tight fit ... about 1 1/2 in deep..... cut the tenon to the proper length...... file a flat on the tenon for glue relief............ epoxy it into the new shaft and hold it tight until the epoxy has set hard......... finish it like a new shaft............ I have done this many times ........... works great and no one will ever know

Kim

Last edited:

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The above solution sounds like a good plan although I prefer slower curing epoxy. :)

Mario

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Shaft with collar that matches cue is trash? Many ways to do this, but have you ever glued ringwork together yourself? Things to note, the tighter the fit the weaker epoxy is for the hold. Threaded on is always better than slip fit.

Measure the shaft collar OD’s and ID’s. This could make the project simple or hard depending upon collars potentially being threaded on. Hard to give proper advice without all variables known. Need shaft collar diameters, inside and outside, and length. Pictures would help too.