Any experts on pre-cat Pred 314s ?????

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Anybody ever seen a shaft like this? Wondering the significance, if any.

Just picked up an old pre-cat 314. It has a thin black ring cut into it just above the logo. Super shaft at 4.0oz and dead straight.

Any help is much appreciated. Thx !!

Attachments

• PART_1379870332016.jpg
    PART_1379870332016.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Probably for weight reduction.

Just teasin ya. I take it that it is a cut into the wood itself. I don't have my old man magnifiers on this morning so can't see the pic that clear.

One of the best people to ask would be KJ Simpson (KJ Cues, AZ). I bet he sees this thread and if he doesn't, re post in the Ask the Cue Maker Forum.

Someone would have turned the shaft and maybe used a thin cut off tool to make the groove, but as to why, it doesn't seem to serve a purpose, either decorative or other.

I have a Pre Cat, no ring and haven't seen pics of any other like that either. Me thinking (yes, dangerous at times) that someone may have been dinking around
with it and thought it to be a good idea at the time.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly, but that might be a factory second. I could be mixing it up with Meucci though.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Yep, it's a thin cut into the wood that was made by a cutter. Looks to have been filled with a little black. Yep, it's a pretty terrible pic. Thanks all!

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody ever seen a shaft like this? Wondering the significance, if any.

Just picked up an old pre-cat 314. It has a thin black ring cut into it just above the logo. Super shaft at 4.0oz and dead straight.

Any help is much appreciated. Thx !!

it means it's a factory second. it's one of the shafts they didn't think was pretty enough to sell full price. they sell them discounted to people and you can usualy find them online on ebay for cheaper prices. they play just the same it's usually just sugar marks or ugly wood or something

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Y'all got it. From what I remember, the imperfections were purely visual and did not affect the play of the shaft. They probably had strict quality control back then because I bought a couple black ring shafts with sugar marks that were barely noticeable. These days they sell worse shafts at full price.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly, but that might be a factory second. I could be mixing it up with Meucci though.

You could be right although I would think Predator would destroy all the shafts that didn't pass muster.
It could be an identifier for the original owner, or the cue maker who may have fitted it to one of his cues. :)