Custom Cue Values... Little help from people in the know?

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I am not the one trying to buy a custom cue. I assume the reason that a cue maker started making cues in the beginning was to have players play their cues. Maybe I am wrong and there is another motive. However do you think any top cue maker would sell less cues if he was only to sell them to the player vs the cue scalpers? The problem is not the cue mss as let’s. The problem is the flippers/scalpers. That’s not prerogative. It’s just a bad market plan for the industry as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

I’ll bet that if you asked many if they started so everyone else could play with them, I’m gonna guess that to be a no. Specifically They started so they could make one they were happy with that they could play with first and foremost. Then people began to get in line. Currently sure their state would be what you said but not out the gate. Starting out makers know the butt from a butt lol much less all the wood, tool , instrument /cabinet/eboniste, fastener, adhesive, finish knowledge and application skills of those it takes to think your going to do work others like too.

The makers usually design the best cues and the best looking cues fwiw.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll bet that if you asked many if they started so everyone else could play with them, I’m gonna guess that to be a no. Specifically They started so they could make one they were happy with that they could play with first and foremost. Then people began to get in line. Currently sure their state would be what you said but not out the gate. Starting out makers know the butt from a butt lol much less all the wood, tool , instrument /cabinet/eboniste, fastener, adhesive, finish knowledge and application skills of those it takes to think your going to do work others like too.

The makers usually design the best cues and the best looking cues fwiw.

Maybe so but then they shouldn’t call themselves “custom” cue makers. Like I mentioned I am not the one looking for a custom cue. I buy what I like. Regardless of whom designed it. Playability first. Looks second.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Maybe so but then they shouldn’t call themselves “custom” cue makers. Like I mentioned I am not the one looking for a custom cue. I buy what I like. Regardless of whom designed it. Playability first. Looks second.

Seems the point may have been missed. Custom doesn’t just mean whatever The money holding fellow makes demands. No need for being defensive, I’m conversing not jabbing and kicking. Custom could very well be just weight and balance. Does it or can it mean a particular hit or change in a makers hit.....how many makers will change hit style on demand?

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion the biggest issue with getting a custom cue made by a top builder is the wait. Most of the custom orders are put in by collectors and cue flippers which leaves the players waiting years for a cue. I find this completely unfair to the players just so they can make a few bucks or collecting dust as they mentally masturbate to their collection.

Then once you get your cue you hope it plays up to your expectations.

Contrary to what a previous post implied regarding getting use to it...ALL cues break in over time. Some take longer. Others not do much. All depends. I cues that have taken 6 months of serious play to break in and you can feel them breaking in over time. Which is part of the fun. Once they do then and only then can you judge the hit.

Good luck.

“Completely unfair”? Go to Walmart I’m sure they have what you want!

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Love those completely unfair scalpers.

Paying above face value to score tickets to a Denver Broncos game when they have been sold out for half a century.

Paying a premium for a Randall Made knife when there is a five plus year wait.

Getting in a bidding war so you can play with your dream cue while you still can get around without a cane.

Playing fair is for second graders.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love those completely unfair scalpers.

Paying above face value to score tickets to a Denver Broncos game when they have been sold out for half a century.

Paying a premium for a Randall Made knife when there is a five plus year wait.

Getting in a bidding war so you can play with your dream cue while you still can get around without a cane.

Playing fair is for second graders.

Hahahahahaha!!!

That’s the greatest set of statements I have ever read in this forum. Now that’s some funny shit!!!

I need to play pool with you. Lol

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems the point may have been missed. Custom doesn’t just mean whatever The money holding fellow makes demands. No need for being defensive, I’m conversing not jabbing and kicking. Custom could very well be just weight and balance. Does it or can it mean a particular hit or change in a makers hit.....how many makers will change hit style on demand?

Maybe more would change it if they could translate a players request. Lol the description could be daunting at best. “I want a stiff hit”. Ok.... what’s the reference? How do you describe your idea of a stiff hit? Do you bring another cue to the new maker and say I want it like this?

BTW. I didn’t throw any jabs and certainly not kicking. I just don’t agree with the distribution network of cues.

As Ernie Gutierrez says I will make a with anything you want just give me the money. (Paraphrased )

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some interesting discussion, but perhaps the OP's thread is getting hijacked.

I previously mentioned a thread that had people's pet peeves in cue appearance. I described it a bit differently. You have to take each post with a grain of salt, but it was interesting reading, at least for me. I found the thread and copied the link. https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=495101

The OP seems to have settled on JD. A friend of mine recently received a custom cue from Joel. Workmanship was first class. I really liked how the cue played. My only caution would be to be specific about shaft taper if you intend to have a maple shaft included in the build. This cue's taper came in so stiff that he is having two more made with a more common taper. Personally, I liked the originals, but he would have a tough time finding anybody else who would want them. If you are only going with CF and are willing to part with it someday, I don't see a problem with your choice of JD.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

I previously mentioned a thread that had people's pet peeves in cue appearance. I described it a bit differently. You have to take each post with a grain of salt, but it was interesting reading, at least for me. I found the thread and copied the link. https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=495101

The OP seems to have settled on JD. A friend of mine recently received a custom cue from Joel. Workmanship was first class. I really liked how the cue played. My only caution would be to be specific about shaft taper if you intend to have a maple shaft included in the build. This cue's taper came in so stiff that he is having two more made with a more common taper. Personally, I liked the originals, but he would have a tough time finding anybody else who would want them. If you are only going with CF and are willing to part with it someday, I don't see a problem with your choice of JD.
Does JD have a taper machine ? Or does he use wood chisel to taper shafts manually then sand them ?

marinemike0931

Registered

Lmao, most of those describe my Jacoby HB7, which I think is a beautiful cue and I get constant compliments on. And yeah, I'm only ordering the butt, using a CF shaft... That's also why I don't have any ring work at the joint.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be... If you want to help ME out, you can help me decide which way to go with this handle. Keep in mind everything white is white snake juma.
2fae7b51d835cd10cfd73a68f4f04e95.jpg
77f77b07e652bad3cf31bcfd3baa863f.jpg

Really hard to say from a rendering rather than looking at an actual cue, but I'm a fan of cues that have a wrap. The white snake wrap is interesting.

marinemike0931

Registered
I placed my order with JD... I went with the wrap on the shooter and wrapless on the break. Ordered a matching Jump cue too and a spare set of JPs for my Jacoby.
5a4b43aaa5b901f50123f7a73cb917df.jpg
f4b07a8577a9a3ba78c45bc57c51c11c.jpg
5a9f4f7898a50a5b29196998276355bd.jpg
ec99bde6703671a384329cc20038b924.jpg