Props to J. Beretta............

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope none of you whom are complaining about the pace of the match also support long races with winner racks. That would seem contradictory to our viewing pleasure.

Stated in jest, but gotta admit sometimes it’s just the length of the match. It’s not always the quality of the match. Short race, alternating break is entertaining for all of us. Short race that takes a long time, regardless of break, bores most of us. Quality play, in a long race, regardless of break, probably only appeals to us die hard fans. Just sayin’.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
166½ min. for 17 games = 9.8 min./game average
My bad. Still probably the longest of the Ashton matches on Youtube

So if you watched it, I’m curious what’s resulting in taking so long? Is it either or both players taking a longer than normal length of time decision making before they go down on the shot, regularly or once in a while, or is it that they are having long safety battles in so many of the games? Or is it all of the above?

No, I did not watch whole match. I mean I would watch JB but I wouldn't watch JB play :thumbup:

It is all of the above. Especially JB, taking time to go down on stroke, the pre shot, on the decision making, on the safety, the movement around table
:grin:

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So both of the players in the finals using revo shaft. Maybe it is true after all that this shaft boost you by one level, apparently it did for both players.

Allison used to be good in the past but in recent years her speed has decreased but since switching to the revo she has claimed her old skill back and speed.

Beretta is apparently better now than she ever was, in my opinion, and what else had changed other than switching to a black shaft.

Guys I also notice it with my friends, their game is mediocre but since switching to revo their game level increased significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brain71

Railbird
Silver Member
So both of the players in the finals using revo shaft. Maybe it is true after all that this shaft boost you by one level, apparently it did for both players.

Allison used to be good in the past but in recent years her speed has decreased but since switching to the revo she has claimed her old skill back and speed.

Beretta is apparently better now than she ever was, in my opinion, and what else had changed other than switching to a black shaft.

Guys I also notice it with my friends, their game is mediocre but since switching to revo their game level increased significantly.

Allison isn't using a Revo. She's sponsored by Pechauer.

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
Doubt Jennifer is going to be speeding up, she's ranked #3, which I believe is her highest ever ranking. She's not going to be changing up her style when it's working.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top level pool can be played with all types of shafts.

CF players even better than the ones mentioned above are beaten every day with with all kinds of equipment, even solid maple shafts.

Bottom line, play with what feels good to you and inspires you to enjoy the game more. You don’t have to “keep up with the Joneses” in terms of shaft tech.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Top level pool can be played with all types of shafts.

CF players even better than the ones mentioned above are beaten every day with with all kinds of equipment, even solid maple shafts.

Bottom line, play with what feels good to you and inspires you to enjoy the game more. You don’t have to “keep up with the Joneses” in terms of shaft tech.

Yup.
JB got better because she learned better patterns .

But, sorry, 3+ hours for a race to 9 of 9 ball is unwatchable for me . That's too long for a race to 11 even.
3 hours per session is plenty. That includes practice and introductions and timeouts.
Once saw Chamat and Soquet play 3 hours in a race to 11. It was brutal .

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
So if you watched it, I’m curious what’s resulting in taking so long? Is it either or both players taking a longer than normal length of time decision making before they go down on the shot, regularly or once in a while, or is it that they are having long safety battles in so many of the games? Or is it all of the above?

Women take longer to process the shot selection because they have to decide which shots they want to store in the memory banks to bring up 5 years later when she is arguing about it with her husband :cool:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup.
JB got better because she learned better patterns .

But, sorry, 3+ hours for a race to 9 of 9 ball is unwatchable for me . That's too long for a race to 11 even.
3 hours per session is plenty. That includes practice and introductions and timeouts.
Once saw Chamat and Soquet play 3 hours in a race to 11. It was brutal .
Agree. I think Chinese 8ball might have it right with that time-limit followed by shoot-out. Some of these matches, men and women, are just too long. No reason 9ball should ever be that pokey.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I see the same thing over and over as well, but the several times I mention it on the Forum, nobody agrees, and then there will be contrarian reasons given. Its the equipment, nobody can tell me what I'm consistently seeing isn't what I'm seeing.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This event was kind of a satellite i think. Only 50 players.

There was no GYK, no Karen, no Simeng Chen so i believe Allison was a solid favorite to win it regardless..

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This event was kind of a satellite i think. Only 50 players.

There was no GYK, no Karen, no Simeng Chen so i believe Allison was a solid favorite to win it regardless..
The 50 player events don't pay as much $$ or reward as many tour points as the big ones like Soaring Eagle.