John Davis blanks

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He did make more than a few cues under his name. I've owned 2 of them. He also worked with Tim Prince, making Prince/Davis Cues for a brief period. Those were very nice.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Believable...bit I am sure I read something at some point that made me recall that.

Perhaps it was early marketing, or based on once sparse supply.

I dunno. Liked the blanks, not enough to buy one though...

You are correct. After a few cuemakers known to this forum butchered a few blanks from complete incompetence (it would shock you to know that some cuemakers do not know how to keep points reasonably aligned on a blank) I always asked who was going to complete the blank and often suggested about 6-7 cuemakers. Ultimately though the buyer can use the blank as a back scratcher if he/she wants or let anyone attempt a build. With some exception once the blank was cut into there was no warranty. John and I were trying to prevent a poor blank build reflecting on him. The points on the blanks were aligned to start and usually easy to keep aligned if the builder payed attention and knew how to make adjustments during the turning/ building process. John was a good honest man and I miss him. He made a small but cue contribution to American cuemaking with his cue blank building. My stock of John Davis blanks is dwindling. The prices are the same as before John passed away.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So if the points are uneven on a completed cue that's on the cue maker, not the blank maker? Or is that just a generalization?

Jbyrd

Registered
I am having trouble working out a deal for this cue. Lack of communication. I think you worked with John? I was thinking of just buying a blank and having someone finish it for me. Are you still building cues? If so do you finish blanks of his? Just looking for options on how to own one of Johns cues. Thanks for any info you can give me.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So if the points are uneven on a completed cue that's on the cue maker, not the blank maker? Or is that just a generalization?

It wasn't just the uneven point matter, most of his modern blanks had problems where the veneers come together at the base of the points. It is a tight fit on that part of the splice and often the veneers were bent out of shape with no way to correct the flaw.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll just let the pictures speak

Attachments

• Davis - 2 - DELETE.JPG
    Davis - 2 - DELETE.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Davis - 1 - DELETE.JPG
    Davis - 1 - DELETE.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 201
  • Davis - 3 - DELETE.JPG
    Davis - 3 - DELETE.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 198

Jbyrd

Registered
I'm currently looking at purchasing one of these blanks, just not sure who I could have finish it for me!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm currently looking at purchasing one of these blanks, just not sure who I could have finish it for me!

I recently bought a Davis ebony long splice from Superior Cues (jazznpool).

It's a beautiful blank with blue veneer into curly maple. It's going to be a wrapless, hard-oil finish, bumperless cue with an ivory joint and Hoppe ring. I chose Paul Drexler to finish it and it's in his hands as we speak.

Yes, I is excited :)

Lou Figueroa
just bought a Fellini
for its future home

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 153

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are correct. After a few cuemakers known to this forum butchered a few blanks from complete incompetence (it would shock you to know that some cuemakers do not know how to keep points reasonably aligned on a blank) I always asked who was going to complete the blank and often suggested about 6-7 cuemakers. Ultimately though the buyer can use the blank as a back scratcher if he/she wants or let anyone attempt a build. With some exception once the blank was cut into there was no warranty. John and I were trying to prevent a poor blank build reflecting on him. The points on the blanks were aligned to start and usually easy to keep aligned if the builder payed attention and knew how to make adjustments during the turning/ building process. John was a good honest man and I miss him. He made a small but cue contribution to American cuemaking with his cue blank building. My stock of John Davis blanks is dwindling. The prices are the same as before John passed away.

Just thumbs up here for Superior Cues. When I was looking for a good wrap and couldn't find what I was looking for in Canada, they were willing to send one from their stock, even through they normally only sell in bulk. Good Customer Service, and I appreciated the help in finding what I needed.

Cheers.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

It can be either one. A good blank turned slightly off center will be off, but a bad blank can't be made right even by Houdini. That's why Balabushka spent so much time inspecting blanks before doing the work. Be assured on a full splice cue, if the veneer points are even and the inner prongs and wrap-side veneers are even, it was a very well made blank and cue.

I have some of John's first blanks when he returned to cue making and they are initialed/numbered from 2006. Keeping them for his legacy, not turning them into cues.

Last edited: