John Davis blanks

Jbyrd

Registered
Does anyone know if John Davis signed his blanks? I have a chance to buy a cue is a full splice signed J. Davis 11-10 under the bumper. Nothing else on the cue as to who may have finished it. It’s a sneaky with 3 veneers. Any ideas on worth? Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

Princecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John did make some complete cues. A picture of the signature would help, but he usually signed them by hand under the bumper. If it was a black buttcap he usually signed them in white and vice versa. So that sounds about right.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Does anyone know if John Davis signed his blanks? I have a chance to buy a cue is a full splice signed J. Davis 11-10 under the bumper. Nothing else on the cue as to who may have finished it. It’s a sneaky with 3 veneers. Any ideas on worth? Thanks for any info.

It's probably a cue/cuemaker that would make no sense to do a knockoff

Steppo

That's my Bourbon
Silver Member
Does it look something like these.

Attachments

• E9AE5372-98CB-4D24-B105-9FE21B1CB26B.jpeg
    E9AE5372-98CB-4D24-B105-9FE21B1CB26B.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 891
  • 38AEDA85-8CE5-47D4-82D1-CDFD8C6D23FE.jpeg
    38AEDA85-8CE5-47D4-82D1-CDFD8C6D23FE.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 893
  • A3E3AE19-E4BE-4333-BC70-B0B58401D7FD.jpeg
    A3E3AE19-E4BE-4333-BC70-B0B58401D7FD.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 892

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it is signed under the bumper then he made the cue.

I am looking for a JD blank, PM me if you have one f/s

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Free advice - buy it.

Why can't I stumble upon something like this?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I recall, there was a standard established by Davis, as to whom he allowed to finish his blanks into cues.

I'd think one can be reasonably confident that if you hold a finished Davis blank cue, the work was done by a competent individual. And then you do have sight and touch, as further confirmation of item's quality.

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I recall, there was a standard established by Davis, as to whom he allowed to finish his blanks into cues.

I'd think one can be reasonably confident that if you hold a finished Davis blank cue, the work was done by a competent individual. And then you do have sight and touch, as further confirmation of item's quality.

Mine is coming from Rick Howard very soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

His blanks are being sold to whoever will buy them.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Were" is more the operative word. Not many left. Martin is staring to sell out on some popular combos. Andrew Rounceville is gonna be the guy in the future for killer blanks.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hardly.

Ex. Dave Sutton built a cue from a John Davis blank.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Believable...bit I am sure I read something at some point that made me recall that.

Perhaps it was early marketing, or based on once sparse supply.

I dunno. Liked the blanks, not enough to buy one though...

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cues make from his blanks are great cues but in terms of rarity his full cues will be more valuable I would think.

The other two who make blanks for Balabushka were Gus and Burton. Look what their cues bring.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
"Were" is more the operative word. Not many left. Martin is staring to sell out on some popular combos. Andrew Rounceville is gonna be the guy in the future for killer blanks.

Rounceville has been the guy for a while.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Believable...bit I am sure I read something at some point that made me recall that.

Perhaps it was early marketing, or based on once sparse supply.

I dunno. Liked the blanks, not enough to buy one though...

Much better choices out there.

It's more the name than the quality - when compared to some newer guys

gehawe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John made good blanks and also finished cues.

Although the playability of the blanks are really good (IMHO), some blanks are better and some are not so symetrical.

The finish of my John Davis cue is below the standard of other good cue makers. I have a rare double full splice cue (mde from a Davis blank), finisherd by PFD - and that's what I call a good finish.
But I have a selected and really good Davis blank left. I will get it finished in a few years.
John was a very nice guy, I liked him a lot.

Gerhard

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I just got the cue from Eddie Cohen.
Long splice ebony John Davis blank
The blank was perfect

received_474440243206304.jpeg