How to soften a to hard tip ?

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello

I was told years ago that you could soak your pool tip in clear vinager overnight and it would soften a to hard tip. I had a Le Pro put on a few months ago and it seems to be as hard as a rock. I want to soften it a bit because it is fairly new. I remember someone saying something about using a certain type of oil if it was leather. I also had a Triangle tip installed on another cue and it seems on the hard side as well. I like a soft / medium tip. Do you guys know of a method to help soften a harder tip.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello

I was told years ago that you could soak your pool tip in clear vinager overnight and it would soften a to hard tip. I had a Le Pro put on a few months ago and it seems to be as hard as a rock. I want to soften it a bit because it is fairly new. I remember someone saying something about using a certain type of oil if it was leather. I also had a Triangle tip installed on another cue and it seems on the hard side as well. I like a soft / medium tip. Do you guys know of a method to help soften a harder tip.
Why go thru all that? Try a Ultraskin Ivory medium or a US Black soft. 3/15bux on ebay or 10/27.50 on AZ. Great tips.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Honesly Tips are reasonable, vinegar is very acidotic I would imagine it would soften a Tip if soaked overbite to the point they were unusable, plus you ruined some Vinigar.

Several of the members here sell tip, I was looking a some a guy from New Mexico was selling reasonably.

Prices seem fair, selection is good.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=396780

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Honesly Tips are reasonable, vinegar is very acidotic I would imagine it would soften a Tip if soaked overbite to the point they were unusable, plus you ruined some Vinigar.

Several of the members here sell tip, I was looking a some a guy from New Mexico was selling reasonably.

If there was ever slurring in written words, that might be it .

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Hello

If you think Le Pro and Triangle are hard, you might as well try stock Elk Master .

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago, when I used Le Pro tips on all my cues, I'd soften them up a bit by scuffing up the top of them (not the sides) and putting a drop or two of Singer sewing machine oil on them. The oil would soak down into the tips and loosen them up some.

I imagine any thin oil would work, but I was using what I was taught by Jack Taylor, Alfie's brother.

I never had any problem after putting oil on them.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
two or three times with saliva. it is the natural way to break down meat. or meat tenderizer if you have some.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago, when I used Le Pro tips on all my cues, I'd soften them up a bit by scuffing up the top of them (not the sides) and putting a drop or two of Singer sewing machine oil on them. The oil would soak down into the tips and loosen them up some.

I imagine any thin oil would work, but I was using what I was taught by Jack Taylor, Alfie's brother.

Any glazing issues?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Soak it in tea a couple days. Let it dry a couple days. Put it in the microwave for only 8 seconds. Make sure you're taken any outside coating out first.

Last edited:

Muddog

Registered

Oil duds
I still use le pros might have to try this

DarkPoseidon6

Registered
Tap the tip with one of those spikey tools, wet it or use soft chalk afterwards. I've had a tip that has lasted for over 20 years using this method. Thing is, once the tip gets so low to the ferrule, then it's time to replace it.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Careful with the soaking. Your ferule might not be capped and soak into a wooden tendon.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lepro is a great tip, it is the tip that I use on all of my cues, I got a great positional feeling while using it, but you are right, after just a little while it gets too hard, I love them the first few days from installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My guy who works on my cues told me it is hard to find a good elk master tip. I had a couple installed on a few of my cues to only have one good and the other bad from start. He said he can buy a box of 50 and maybe 5 out of the 50 be good and the rest junk. He said they used to be really good but in the last few years quality has went south.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Not to take over this thread but I would be curious how I quickly compress my new layered tip? I had a new tip installed yesterday after about a year and it is extremely soft, probably because I break with my player and that helped compress my old tip. FWIW I use a Tiger Everest.