What is the main shaft size , is it differnt then from years gone by

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

This may be a silly question but say from the 60's what was the usual shaft size on a cue . Say a Rambo or a Balabushka from that era . Was 13 the standard size or were they smaller. It seems a lot of cues these day's come with a 13 as a standard. I prefer a smaller shaft . I really like Meucci 11.75 . It seems easier to stroke for me anyway . What is the preference among Pro's due they prefer a bigger shaft or does Smaller make a better game. I just bought a cue that has a 13 shaft but it feels like a broom handle to me , thinking about having it took down to a 11.75.Has the Shaft size changed thru the years or has 13 or 12 been the usual .

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

This may be a silly question but say from the 60's what was the usual shaft size on a cue . Say a Rambo or a Balabushka from that era . Was 13 the standard size or were they smaller. It seems a lot of cues these day's come with a 13 as a standard. I prefer a smaller shaft . I really like Meucci 11.75 . It seems easier to stroke for me anyway . What is the preference among Pro's due they prefer a bigger shaft or does Smaller make a better game. I just bought a cue that has a 13 shaft but it feels like a broom handle to me , thinking about having it took down to a 11.75.Has the Shaft size changed thru the years or has 13 or 12 been the usual .

The standard is about 13mm for a non-LD shaft, in earlier times they may have been even thicker.

Pro players use whatever, but probably most of them use LD shafts wich would be under 12.5mm for pretty much any of them.

Careful with taking too much off the shaft, it may warp if not done slowly and properly. I think Mike Webb told me he does not like taking shafts down more than .5mm due to this.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Smaller is better for squirt reduction - I also like how it seems I can see more accurately exactly where I’m hitting the CB. May even be true!

pj
chgo

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
13mm still remains a standard for most shafts even if a cue-maker produces a cue with no one in mind.
Today it seems like when shafts get ordered, a smaller size than 13mm is commonly requested.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If this is for the cue you just bought, the #12 inlay series. I'd compare the cost of turning down the shaft with picking up a cheap snooker cue like the "elite" brand snooker cue.

Would give you a chance to try out the smalled diameter shaft, although it would be an ash shaft. The action and elite are both about the same quality with elite being slightly better imo. Same manufacturer

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had Shaft turned down from 13 to 11.7 and man did it turn out nice. My repair guy is the best hands down and has this down to a art. It looks and plays fantastic. I really like it. He cut the shaft down and cleaned up for $ 40. You cannot beat that. I was surprised as to how good it turned out. I had also install a soft ultra skin tip and I love it. Yes , it is the Action 12 inlay shaft. It made a big difference in it for the good. Plays Fantastic.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
40 bucks.........What!

I feel just like Lil Jon shouting 3 bucks in Jimmy John’s commercials.

Seriously, that is absolutely a bargain price for the work performed.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
40 bucks.........What!

I feel just like Lil Jon shouting 3 bucks in Jimmy John’s commercials.

Seriously, that is absolutely a bargain price for the work performed.

I know , believe me the Work is flawless and he is the best in the country. He has been doing my work for 25 years , He runs a billiard and spa store . He does all cue repairs and builds his own cues, He also can shape a tip better than anybody I have ever seen.$ 40.00 to turn down a shaft plus the cost of the tip of your choice. You cannot beat that.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
bigger shafts were common

Sounds like changes have been made and the original poster is a happy camper so all is good!

Just to answer the question though, I remember seeing custom cues from the fifties and sixties with 14mm shafts, even pairs of 14mm shafts. I think the cues all weighed 21 ounces or more too. Dates to playing on nine and ten foot tables with deep cloth in rooms which sometimes lacked air conditioning. It took a stroke and some heft to drive a long rail bank shot twice the length of the table in those conditions. A person just naturally wanted a thicker shaft to transfer that force between the grip hand and the cue ball.

I turned a break cue shaft to 13.5mm a few years back. That thing looked like a tree trunk!

Hu

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I know , believe me the Work is flawless and he is the best in the country. He has been doing my work for 25 years , He runs a billiard and spa store . He does all cue repairs and builds his own cues, He also can shape a tip better than anybody I have ever seen.$ 40.00 to turn down a shaft plus the cost of the tip of your choice. You cannot beat that.

What does he charge to install a Kamui SS tip on my shaft?

Thanks

Kevin