Repair or Replace Slate

rfranklin99

I have a Olhausen Santa Ana that has a cracked slate from moving. Should I repair this slate or replace it based on the crack. IMG_3185.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3233.jpg

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Olhausen Santa Ana that has a cracked slate from moving. Should I repair this slate or replace it based on the crack.

It's probably always better to buy new but that looks like a pretty clean break.

With patience and planning you could glue it back.

Everyone will say it'll never play the same. Maybe not but I didn't notice a difference after gluing my 100yr old slate.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
replace with new if you can afford it

if not buy a gold crown and enjoy better pool and value

dquarasr

Registered
Please excuse my naivete, but this break looks pretty clean. How is leveling and seaming these two pieces of a single slate that much different from leveling and seaming a three-piece slate? Like, this is now a four-piece slate.

Maybe I'm grossly oversimplifying . . . .

EDIT: Is it because on one side the break is at a screw hole and it will be difficult to secure it on that side?

BlackMDX

Registered
You have nothing to lose by trying to repair it, and the cost is minimal. You certainly don’t need a GC to have a good playing table and many hours of relaxation and fun. If you do a search you will find a thread with photos describing how to do the repair.

The biggest problem I see is the break is right through a slate screw hole, so when you reinstall the slate and level it you will have to be careful about over tightening that screw. Shim on both sides of the screw to keep the load even. You might even want to consider moving that screw a couple inches to one side or the other.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a crack in my slate and it was repaired. Plays good. You have nothing to loose to trying to repair.