I Need Help In A Hurry!!!

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
fellow az'ers.

I am within an hour of getting my GC1 reclothed and a while back I purchased a set of ashtray corners which I remember from my younger days in the smokey pool rooms.

I like the look of them. They're nostalgic.

I don't smoke and nobody will ever smoke in my house - these ashtrays are just an aesthetic thing. Cool old option from yesteryear.

In anticipation of todays recloth, I had a machinish buddy brighten them up for me and they look great.

HOWEVER:

Now I'm concerned whether or not to install them since they may somewhat interfere with bridging on a corner shot.

The standard corners are flush - these have the lip where the ashtrays are.

But, they easily pop out

So is the hole they leave a potential problem>?

pls tell me what u all think.

TIA

best,
'brian kc

Attachments

• GC-1-ashtray.jpg
    GC-1-ashtray.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 802
  • GC-1-ashtrays.jpg
    GC-1-ashtrays.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 789
You can unbolt the skirts, rails and corner castings yourself. So you aren't committed can do either All you have to do when you replace the rails id make sure it's centered and square. If you are good with a wrench it doesn't take 30-45 minutes.

When reassembling build the rails, pockets and pocket casting on the floor reasonably square. Then have a buddy or 2 lift it onto the table and bolt on. Then reapply skirts.

Myself I would ditch the ashtrays, especially since they are going to be used anyway.

Love the stadium seating you have in the room. Looks like it's ready for some big action.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
Look great and a good spot for chalk!

I have played on a table with the ashtrays and just like any other table, you learn to work around it. It doesn't make that big of a hindrance.

tc in l a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In...go with your initial gut reaction...they are too cool not to use

...and install a new "house rule"...no corner safeties...if you put yourself there it's on you

looks like nice setup...enjoy

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think it would all depend on YOU.

If you want the room to look a certain way and have the table for form OVER function, then install them and enjoy.

But if you want the table to be every bit playable and similar to something that might be used in a tournament setting, don't bother. Perhaps there is a different use for them. Something that could be made from them. Or even leave them out on display.

Ultimately, it all boils down to you and what you want from the table.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know what you mean. I hate playing on Valley tables because the metal corners so often stick up and seem like they're going to gouge your cue.

However, I've never actually seen that happen, and those ashtrays seem to be recessed rather than sticking up, so I'd go for it. I like the looks of them.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member

I have played on a table with the ashtrays and just like any other table, you learn to work around it. It doesn't make that big of a hindrance.

This is exactly what I was thinking - great place for chalk. I say use 'em. And I don't smoke either. Pretty cool.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian,

They did turn out looking great. Simply polished, or another treatment..almost look a 'gunmetal' finish/looks good.

Remove/pop out if you have to shoot from that corner? Lay some simonis remnant down?

How securely do your removable ash trays stay in the recesses? Are the little rubber nibs in good shape? Where did you find replacements? if they were needed. I'm guessing years ago the ashtrays had to be emptied/removed often.

I can relate. I have a set (need the rubber nibs), that I'm considering using on a GCII.

In my case, I will probably just use them as a display item from back in the day.

Good luck with your decision..I would hate to see you scratch/ding a cue with these corners. Was probably OK with house cues and smoking patrons..at least got the smokes off the rails.:eek:

take care

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fellow az'ers.

I am within an hour of getting my GC1 reclothed and a while back I purchased a set of ashtray corners which I remember from my younger days in the smokey pool rooms.

I don't smoke and nobody will ever smoke in my house - these ashtrays are just an aesthetic thing. Cool old option from yesteryear.

In anticipation of todays recloth, I had a machinish buddy brighten them up for me and they look great.

HOWEVER:

Now I'm concerned whether or not to install them since they may somewhat interfere with bridging on a corner shot.

But, they easily pop out

TIA

best,
'brian kc

Don't worry about it they will not be a problem. They were only a problem when they were used as ash trays and full of dirty ashes. Yours will not be, so putting your fingers in them or bridging over them will not bother anyone.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
You are getting this table recovered? Because of the break marks? It looks like it is just getting broke in good right now and your room looks great.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man...those are fan-fukn-tastic! I'm amazed sometimes how much smoking has been a part of our culture and how much it was integrated in with almost every piece of furniture imaginable at one time.

RayBell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I think they are too cool looking not to use them. As others have stated, great place for chalk, coins, pills, or whatever, during a game...

Either way, that's a nice table!! In a really nice room!! :thumbup:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Don't do it, Brian!!!!
I've played with the ashtrays on Gold Crowns and Anniversaries,

I've always felt that the designer who thought that ashtrays, raised nameplates, and
score counters were a good idea....:angry:..... Needs the last six off a banger.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Ashtrays, smashtrays...count me among those who really like your room. That row of theatre seats is a really nice touch! :)

Matt Tatum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i think they are awesome, what he said^^^^^^^^^^^^ :cool:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fellow az'ers.

HOWEVER:

But, they easily pop out

TIA

best,
'brian kc
Those seats need to be elevated. Not to mention they are in line with the break. You may have a guest KOed by a cue ball.