APA Vegas Playoffs Virgin.. tips?

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Hi all,

Qualified for Vegas playoffs with my 8 ball and my 9 ball team for the Northeast Regionals next weekend.

I've never played in a tournament or environment like this - any tips or things you wish you would have known beforehand?

Thanks,

b

PS - I realize APA sucks, and I suck for being part of APA so let's just get that out of the way ;)

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will hear , " I've never done this kind of thing before " - don't you believe it!!! Protection of your stick at all costs, don't fall asleep with your wallet out of the safe, and never give your real name. Have fun now and good luck, bring us pics! ��

Last edited:

july9x

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

Qualified for Vegas playoffs with my 8 ball and my 9 ball team for the Northeast Regionals next weekend.

I've never played in a tournament or environment like this - any tips or things you wish you would have known beforehand?

Thanks,

b

PS - I realize APA sucks, and I suck for being part of APA so let's just get that out of the way ;)

tell all of your team mates to lose 20-0 and 3-0 as much as they can so they will stay or go down the skill level ;), dont be mad if you see a 2 run out the table.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Tips:
Try to stay somewhere besides The Westgate.

A car is optional, I've always found it very useful to have one.

You've qualified for 8 ball and 9 ball - 10 days is a very long time in Las Vegas, budget wisely.

Avoid the temptation to party and "sleep it off", it never ends well.

Prostitution is ILLEGAL in Las Vegas

If you really think what Happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, remember that mantra was coined before Camera Phones, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter,..etc don't become a meme

If this is your first time as a National Qualifier you'll meet people that seem to qualify just about every year, don't be intimidated by them especially at the table and make sure you stress that to your more inexperienced players, have each others backs

Don't be late.

If you even think you need a referee, then you do. Don't be shy about it

Remember who you are, who you represent, and how you got there - don't be stupid

Wear comfortable shoes, light cloths and drink lots of water

Oh, and Las Vegas is a lot like New York, just a little slower

Have a blast.

Last edited:

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
As a captain for a team that is now going down for our third time in 6 years, here is my advice:

1) Identify who your players are who will want to party at night (if any), rotate players who will get to sleep in an extra hour, or get to bed an hour earlier (if you make it to day 3 or 4). That extra sleep will often be more important than overall skill for an exhausted player.

2) I hold all photo ID's for the entire team during a match, ALWAYS exchange ID with the opposing captain to ensure no funny business. (We have caught three teams cheating in the two past years we've gone)

3) The shooter must sit on the opposite side of the table from the team during a match in Vegas, they cant talk to ANYBODY, including passers by and friends. Enforce that on other teams as well and practice your players playing "in isolation" during their matches now and until Vegas. It will help them, especially the lower ranks.

4) keep a bottle of 151 or moonshine on had for those players who like to play with a buzz. They usually wont want to chug 151 or the shineola so they will have to play sober.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
3) The shooter must sit on the opposite side of the table from the team during a match in Vegas, they cant talk to ANYBODY, including passers by and friends. Enforce that on other teams as well ...

I've heard that from several other people but I've never found this to be the case. We always just sat with our team

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a captain for a team that is now going down for our third time in 6 years, here is my advice:

1) Identify who your players are who will want to party at night (if any), rotate players who will get to sleep in an extra hour, or get to bed an hour earlier (if you make it to day 3 or 4). That extra sleep will often be more important than overall skill for an exhausted player.

2) I hold all photo ID's for the entire team during a match, ALWAYS exchange ID with the opposing captain to ensure no funny business. (We have caught three teams cheating in the two past years we've gone)

3) The shooter must sit on the opposite side of the table from the team during a match in Vegas, they cant talk to ANYBODY, including passers by and friends. Enforce that on other teams as well and practice your players playing "in isolation" during their matches now and until Vegas. It will help them, especially the lower ranks.

4) keep a bottle of 151 or moonshine on had for those players who like to play with a buzz. They usually wont want to chug 151 or the shineola so they will have to play sober.

You are not by any chance the captain who insisted I look at all 7or 8 players before our match started and I declined saying I would prefer verifying each Individual players players Id before the start of each match are you.

This happened 3 years ago.in 2013 .

Nyeborn

Registered
Get a lot of water at a convenience store and bring it back to your room. Sign up early for any minis you want and try to buy them all the first time through the line There are always people looking to buy the ones people sell if you get in a scheduling bind. Take heed of when the monorail stops running at night. Westgate has free drinks up to $10 each I think if you're sitting at the bar poker games. You will die of thirst at westgate waiting for a drink at any other games. Avoid using taxi's if you can as they cost a bunch (at least for a country boy like me.) Since it is modified double elimination, you may want to shoot those who have never been to vegas in the first match to get the nervousness out. Avoid minis the first night as they usually cannot figure out how to use their own computers. The convenience store across from the westgate will be selling the APA Championship shirts/jackets within a few days for much less than at the event. Tell the timeshare people no as soon as they look at you. Repeat as necessary. Wear sunscreen if you walk around anywhere during the day. Thats all I can remember for now. Good luck and have fun.

madhatter44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't forget condoms. There is a lot of action going on besides pool.
I will also be in Albany next week. What is the name of your team ? I will look you up.

CMarshall

D player at best
Silver Member
Have fun and if you want a GREAT dinner that won't break the bank, try this place-

http://www.caposrestaurant.com

One of my favorite restaurants in Las Vegas, and I live here…You probably won't hear about it from anyone who's not a local. I have no affiliation with the establishment, I'm just a fan.

It's West of the Strip a little bit on Sahara, I recommend taking Uber if you don't have a rental car.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Okay so my wording was terrible in the original post - I've only qualified for the regionals that you have to win to go to Vegas, so it's a long shot still I'm sure.

I'm pretty new to APA (sl5/6) and I have never played in any of these larger qualifying tournaments - I'd assume some of the responses apply other than the vegas specific ones...

Sorry for the confusion, these responses are awesome and I'm really really hoping that I need them!

b

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My best advice would be to get under pressure as much as possible before the tournament. Play weekly tournaments and play a teamate or friend for stakes that make you sweat a lil.( small cash, embarrassing dare, pushups, whatever)

Getting used to that pressure regularly helps. Also try to keep in mind that the worst thing that could happen is you play bad and miss some balls, no big deal everyone does. If you dont let that bother ya, then you have as good a chance as anybody.

Good luck

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Okay so my wording was terrible in the original post - I've only qualified for the regionals that you have to win to go to Vegas, so it's a long shot still I'm sure.

I'm pretty new to APA (sl5/6) and I have never played in any of these larger qualifying tournaments - I'd assume some of the responses apply other than the vegas specific ones...

Sorry for the confusion, these responses are awesome and I'm really really hoping that I need them!

b

Ah, OK, better tips for your circumstances -

Don't get beat
...and even if you do get beat you should plan on going to Las Vegas anyway. Play the mini's.... enjoy the environment. It's a blast

Last edited:

Nyeborn

Registered
Ok so different tips. Don't worry about your opponents skill level just shoot your game. Defense is the name of the game in regionals. Remember that there are 4 other shooters and its a team that wins not an individual, you have eachothers backs. Have drinkers on a schedule that lets them get relaxed but not loose. Our team has 1 when we get there, 1 at 1/2 hour and 1 every hour afterwards. Too much for some, not enough for others but seems to work for us. Figure out table speed during practice. Our local tables are a lot slower than the ones at regionals and we have to take a good amount off the balls. Check ID's. People do try and slip others in. Ask refs for good/bad hit and don't argue with their decision. Most teams don't make it through to Vegas on their first try so don't get upset if you don't. Don't assume you're out if you lose the first few, or in if you win them. I have seen many teams come back after being considered out. Talk with people and watch the matches around you. Usually people are friendly and can tell you a bit about the tables and people there.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
These are great, thank you. I'm surprised about checking Id's, but it is a constant theme. I'm interested to see how I play under more pressure than the local matches/playoffs.

b

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tip #1 - realize it's not as big of a deal as you think it is. You'll likely play many more regionals and it'll become just another day of pool.

Tip #2 - Play a good pace at the table. Don't rush, don't stall. People tend to do something different than normal at these events. Play "normal" for you.

Tip #3 - Focus on 1 shot at a time, you can't run a rack in one shot. Same idea as #2. Play your game.

Tip #4 - Remember to breathe. Remember to eat. Remember to sleep. It's just another day or two playing pool.

Tip #5 - Remember it's just a game, like Monopoly or Potato Sack Races.

Have fun.

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
You are not by any chance the captain who insisted I look at all 7or 8 players before our match started and I declined saying I would prefer verifying each Individual players players Id before the start of each match are you.

This happened 3 years ago.in 2013 .

Was not there in 2013 and absolutely wasn't me. No point in going through the id's until a player has been thrown.

Your solution is the correct solution.

I've heard that from several other people but I've never found this to be the case. We always just sat with our team

It was the case in 2010 and 2011. This is for the 8-person team events.