Question About Deliberate Practice for Experienced Instructors

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
I pose this question, respectfully, solely to experienced instructors who have had a wealth of time with students (like 10 years or more).

For the past couple of years I have wanted to just set aside a month for deliberate practice and I've finally decided to go through with it beginning tonight. Though one could argue that focused practice play could constitute "deliberate practice," I'm referring only to drills. My training regimen would consist of drills from a variety of sources and would be well-rounded. What I'm asking, however, is would cutting out practice play for a month only serve to hamper my progress? In Jack Koehler's "The Science of Pocket Billiards," he posits that the more advanced a player you are the greater percent of the time should be engaging in practice play and less on drills. I know it's hard to gauge a player you can't witness playing, but I can say I have the ability to break and run twice in a row on a bar table. There were two times in the past I had to give up pool due to being injured, once for 3 months and another for 3 1/2 months. Each time I came back, I felt like I was back up to speed within 2 weeks. This gives me confidence that my month of deliberate practice will only serve to help me improve. Based on the general info I've provided, would it be a mistake to cut out practice play completely? Should I at least commit a fraction of my time during this next month to practice play? Just wanted to hear some thoughts from the experienced instructors. Thanks.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I pose this question, respectfully, solely to experienced instructors who have had a wealth of time with students (like 10 years or more).

For the past couple of years I have wanted to just set aside a month for deliberate practice and I've finally decided to go through with it beginning tonight. Though one could argue that focused practice play could constitute "deliberate practice," I'm referring only to drills. My training regimen would consist of drills from a variety of sources and would be well-rounded. What I'm asking, however, is would cutting out practice play for a month only serve to hamper my progress? In Jack Koehler's "The Science of Pocket Billiards," he posits that the more advanced a player you are the greater percent of the time should be engaging in practice play and less on drills. I know it's hard to gauge a player you can't witness playing, but I can say I have the ability to break and run twice in a row on a bar table. There were two times in the past I had to give up pool due to being injured, once for 3 months and another for 3 1/2 months. Each time I came back, I felt like I was back up to speed within 2 weeks. This gives me confidence that my month of deliberate practice will only serve to help me improve. Based on the general info I've provided, would it be a mistake to cut out practice play completely? Should I at least commit a fraction of my time during this next month to practice play? Just wanted to hear some thoughts from the experienced instructors. Thanks.
Are you going to do general drills or will you choose drills that specifically address your weaknesses?

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
Are you going to do general drills or will you choose drills that specifically address your weaknesses?

General, but with a special focus on weaknesses. For specific position play drills involving repetition (where the cue and object balls always start at a fixed location using paper hole reinforcers), I will be honing in on positional shots which are challenging and on the edge of my abilities. At the same time, I plan on including drills which involve strength maintenance, yet none of my drills will be considered 'easy' for me. Would you think focusing solely on weaknesses for a month might be of greater benefit or does it look like I'm going about it the right way?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now, don't take this wrong, but if your limit is two racks on a bar table, you have a ways to go yet. The first thing I would be working on is my fundamentals. They are your absolute foundation. Without solid fundamentals, everything else ends up being hit and miss.

Then, I would do something like the Billiard University test to see just what my weaknesses really are. Then work on those weaknesses. I wouldn't consider practice play at all for that first month.

But, whatever drills you do, make sure not to do them just to get through them. Do them to LEARN!

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
Now, don't take this wrong, but if your limit is two racks on a bar table, you have a ways to go yet. The first thing I would be working on is my fundamentals. They are your absolute foundation. Without solid fundamentals, everything else ends up being hit and miss.

Then, I would do something like the Billiard University test to see just what my weaknesses really are. Then work on those weaknesses. I wouldn't consider practice play at all for that first month.

But, whatever drills you do, make sure not to do them just to get through them. Do them to LEARN!

If I came off as braggadocious when I said I could string 2 racks of 9 ball (and no early makes on the 9) then that certainly wasn't intended. I know I have a ways to go and that's why I'm wanting to do these drills. I'm also committing to them with the sole intention of getting better as a player, so I'm well aware of how I should approach them. I'm also aware of the importance of solid fundamentals and that, regardless of one's skill level, they should always be worked on. But I do like your Billiard University test suggestion. Thanks.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great question! That's what this forum is all about.

There are two areas that a player must practice.
1. Themselves (behind the cue ball)
2. The table (in front of the cue ball)

If you have never been to a PBIA Instructor to get video taped, you might be training the wrong things. Before I started out on my 30 day work-out, I had outside eyes looking at my bodes performance. I needed to be correct before I started.

Playing is just as important to practice as practice is to play. Playing is the mirror of your practice routines under pressure. Play is the feedback of what to practice.

Always keep your practice routines to about 20 minutes. Two a day would be perfect.
The great Dr. Snow said: "the rate of productivity seems to RAPIDLY decline after about 20 minutes of practice."

With all that said.
Good luck on your journey
randyg

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Yes, I agree with JK.

80/20 or so drills/play mix for aspiring (VERY aspiring) student.

Vice versa for a pro or high level player.

I would be happy to give you a free lesson-no fiscal obligation-to look at your fundamentals. As pointed out above, drilling bad fundamentals in deeper is no help.

Plus in many cases on a first lesson, I'll alter what you're doing so you go up a level immediately.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not an instructor here but chiming in anyway because I've grown so tired of reading things that don't even come close to passing the sniff test.

Does anybody honestly believe that there's a human endeavor that has been mastered by practicing twice a day for 20 minutes? Sure this might get an APA 3 up to a 4, but if you really want to excel at this game you need to do what ALL the champions have done -- play until your arm falls off.

Some of this stuff is so ridiculous.

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
Not an instructor here but chiming in anyway because I've grown so tired of reading things that don't even come close to passing the sniff test.

Does anybody honestly believe that there's a human endeavor that has been mastered by practicing twice a day for 20 minutes? Sure this might get an APA 3 up to a 4, but if you really want to excel at this game you need to do what ALL the champions have done -- play until your arm falls off.

I could be wrong, but I think he means those two 20 minute practice sessions as being set aside for drills, but that I should also be playing in addition to the drills.

Anyways, some great suggestions guys. I like the idea of continuing practice play as well. I'm an idiot when it comes to technical stuff so I'll have to get somebody to help me with filming while I shoot and downloading that to a computer. Thanks!

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Something to keep in mind: Research on developing skills/talent shows that the brain learns better and faster when exposed to short practice sessions geared toward known areas of weakness. This works for everything, from juggling to playing a musical instrument to playing pool or golf or baseball, etc... 5 minutes every day focused on perfecting a specific element of the larger goal/picture creates a stronger long-term memory retention than cramming 10 hours in on a Saturday afternoon.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BC21,
I understand that humans learn specific skills more efficiently in shorter intervals. I don't think that can be disputed. The problem is, many instructors have taken this information and ran with it to the point of the absurd. So instead of telling a player to push themselves to the absolute limit on the practice table, while working on as many skills as possible (in short durations) and mixing in fun play to relax your mind, and then get right back at it -- they say stuff like two 20 minute sessions of practice a day is perfect. Come on now.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh and just to add a little more background....

I can't quote the instructor or the post but I recall a conversation on AZ about this topic and a well known instructor mentioned something along the lines of a player would benefit more from practicing a couple ten minute sessions a day than they would from playing the ghost for 8 to 10 hours a day (I don't recall the exact times) and many agreed with this point of view.

So what's being missed? I'm not exactly sure, but the real world evidence of this can not be found in our game. The truly great players have all gone through a period of YEARS where they played up to 8 to 10 hours a day. Many of them have stated they never even really did drills. Now I suspect this doesn't mean they never worked on specific shots but they are thinking of more setup type specific drill work. Here I could be wrong.

And another thought: I don't think you can reach the top simply by drilling your way there through 20 minute practice sessions built upon each other, but I do think some players have gotten there without any drill work whatsoever, but instead by being TOTALLY IMMERSED in the game. These guys (and gals) get totally mesmerized by the game, losing track of time and space, and just play for hours on end, continuously, day after day.

So what I think happens in this forum quite often is the importance of the long session, non-stop, subconscious play is downplayed in favor of the short duration drill work. Of course this makes sense, because it's much more appealing to us players to think if we just focus for a few minutes a day we can work our way to the top.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
BC21,
I understand that humans learn specific skills more efficiently in shorter intervals. I don't think that can be disputed. The problem is, many instructors have taken this information and ran with it to the point of the absurd. So instead of telling a player to push themselves to the absolute limit on the practice table, while working on as many skills as possible (in short durations) and mixing in fun play to relax your mind, and then get right back at it -- they say stuff like two 20 minute sessions of practice a day is perfect. Come on now.

You're right. There is a well-defined line between constructive practice and wasting time. I'd say a good instructor knows this, and I'm sure there many qualified instructors here that agree. I'm not a qualified pool instructor, but the learning process is the same regardless of what subject or skill is being taught.

It's about pushing the limits. And it's not so much time-oriented as it is quality-oriented. If you're working on draw shots, make it a game. Pick a certain number of successful attempts to win, like shoot 20 successful draw shots in a row before saying you've won/achieved your practice goal. Set your rules....each draw must bring the CB straight back between 10" and 14" after contacting the OB. If it goes sideways, or under/over draws, the count starts over. If the game feels too hard and you can't seem to do any better than 5 or 6 in a row, then you will become frustrated because it's no fun. Like playing any game, if winning feels hopeless most people get bored and quit. If winning is just outside your reach, but close enough that it's obtainable (maybe not every time at first), then you'll keep at it until you win.

So with this particular game of draw shots, maybe you find yourself starting off with 7 as a winning score. Once you begin easily winning at 7, raise the requirement to 10, etc...The goal is to always strive for more, where it's not too easy to win and surely not too hard.

I've taught this way giving snare drumming lessons and guitar lessons. It's very effective. I might be out of line to assume it works as well for pool, but that's something a good pool instructor could probably verify.

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BC21,
Would you agree with this thought of mine that there's at least one major difference between playing pool and playing a musical instrument and it is that after just a little bit of initial instruction and table time, once the basics of the game are understood, the entire game can be learned and/or played with very minimal conscious thought, as opposed to a musical instrument where one must continually add more knowledge in order to improve? I don't think if someone were to stumble upon a guitar in the forest that they would just figure out how to form a F chord for instance.

I guess I'm getting off track now and maybe I was being a bit harsh in first post but this is one of my pet subjects.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
BC21,
Would you agree with this thought of mine that there's at least one major difference between playing pool and playing a musical instrument and it is that after just a little bit of initial instruction and table time, once the basics of the game are understood, the entire game can be learned and/or played with very minimal conscious thought, as opposed to a musical instrument where one must continually add more knowledge in order to improve? I don't think if someone were to stumble upon a guitar in the forest that they would just figure out how to form a F chord for instance.

I guess I'm getting off track now and maybe I was being a bit harsh in first post but this is one of my pet subjects.

Not sure. Both skills have basic fundamentals, and once those are learned and become less conscious, there is a seemingly neverending process of interpretation and subconscious learning that takes place. The more someone plays pool, the more they are programming their brain for auto play, as long as they pay attention to what's going on, the good and the bad. There is still conscious effort that must occur during pool game situations... assessing the rack, visualizing patterns, etc...The subconscious only takes over when we get down to shoot, hopefully. :grin:. Call it execution or performance mode.

It's the same thing a performing guitar player does before strumming the first chord. The conscious thoughts might be, is my guitar in tune, what song am I about to play, is the drummer sober, etc... The brain consciously processes these thoughts just before taking the subconscious dive into performance mode. We aren't really thinking about playing the guitar as much as we are feelingit. So, for me anyway, I find the two skills very similar as far as learning and performing.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So my friend, you are calling some great doctors wrong?
Explain to us your background in sports training, please.
Or are you speaking as a pool player.

By the way, I believe that most pro sports feature two-a-day workouts.

Interested
randyg

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could be wrong, but I think he means those two 20 minute practice sessions as being set aside for drills, but that I should also be playing in addition to the drills.

Anyways, some great suggestions guys. I like the idea of continuing practice play as well. I'm an idiot when it comes to technical stuff so I'll have to get somebody to help me with filming while I shoot and downloading that to a computer. Thanks!

Correct

randyg

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something to keep in mind: Research on developing skills/talent shows that the brain learns better and faster when exposed to short practice sessions geared toward known areas of weakness. This works for everything, from juggling to playing a musical instrument to playing pool or golf or baseball, etc... 5 minutes every day focused on perfecting a specific element of the larger goal/picture creates a stronger long-term memory retention than cramming 10 hours in on a Saturday afternoon.

Thank you

randyg