Converting my diamond light to led or not

Sampwr

Registered
I finally was able to locate a 9 foot diamond light local to me after a long time of looking and waiting. I picked it up today and got it home. Above the defusers there is two 8 foot fixtures that each hold two t12 bulbs for a total of 4 lights. I need to replace 2 bulbs and was looking in to converting to led by removing the ballasts and installing 4 led tubes. Does anyone have any experience with doing this as far as the quality of lighting goes? I know they are brighter and are much more efficient but will the design make them too directional or with the defusers will It even matter? I'm looking at bulbs like this

https://www.eledlights.com/select-8ft-led-tube-light-clear-2pack-8rl4fa8040nn60c.html#.WwITeMkpDgA

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I read about a few members here who did the same. I have no first hand knowledge though... maybe one of them will see this thread and share their input.

Have you also considered quantity two 2' x 4' panels inside the Diamond frame? If they fit, get rid of all the electrical guts, and replace it with these panels. They've come down a lot in price, and maybe you can get two for $150 or so total.

No matter what, I would keep the diamond diffusers. I tried one of those bare 2' x 4' LED panels over my table, and the glare killed my eyes. But when I held one of the diffusers from my Brunswick home model light in front of the panel, it looked great.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fluorescent to LED

I did it to mine. But I believe i used 5500 lumens in mine as per a discussion with the electrical experts at a local commercial lighting distributor. I would have to dig up the old receipt to be positive.

It was a simple procedure. I removed the ballast, replaced the old tombstones (They were 20 plus years old), and wired it straight per numerous online and YouTube videos. Each tube was about 35$ each. About the same if i replaced all 4 fluorescents and the ballasts.

The light is very good. Much crisper and cleaner than fluorescents. The hum from the old tubes is also gone so that is a plus in itself. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Better to remove the ballast and go power direct. More efficient, no annoying hums and is a simple modification.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Sampwr

Registered
Thank you for the quick replies. Can you please check what lumens you are using. The ballasts do have a slight hum so that would be nice. Right now the bulbs have the single push style ends like the LEDs I posted. Should I just beep those fittings on the fixture or replace them? Also I do not intend to get rid of the defusers. I dont think it would work well without them.

As far as 2x4 panels I dont even know where to begin looking.

Last edited:

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
You'll be happy. The diffuser and the box bouncing the light around should make for a good light source. LED is the way to go and runs much cooler. Pull the fixture and stop messing around. I have also seen people doing it with "light ropes".

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I read about a few members here who did the same. I have no first hand knowledge though... maybe one of them will see this thread and share their input.

Have you also considered quantity two 2' x 4' panels inside the Diamond frame? If they fit, get rid of all the electrical guts, and replace it with these panels. They've come down a lot in price, and maybe you can get two for $150 or so total.

No matter what, I would keep the diamond diffusers. I tried one of those bare 2' x 4' LED panels over my table, and the glare killed my eyes. But when I held one of the diffusers from my Brunswick home model light in front of the panel, it looked great.

This is the best way just a master electrician here!
good advice

Sampwr

Registered
Hykolity 2x4 FT 50W 5000K Flat LED Troffer Panel Light, 0-10V Dimmable Drop Ceiling Flat Panel, Recessed Edge-Lit Troffer Fixture, Eligible for Nationwide Rebate Programs, 6250lm DLC Premium- 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N74WC2N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qNRaBbJRDV30S

Here are 2 panels from Amazon with free shipping for $160.

These are edge lit. IDK if the billiard specific ppl selling panels are using edge lit or surface lit.

If I went this route how would I orient the 2 panels? Run them the 8 feet down the middle? Would this leave unlit space on the sides of the table?

Forbin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't two 2'x2' square panels be plenty of light? I've seen the single 2'x4' panels being sold for a 9' table. I was thinking about building a fixture with two of the 2'x2' panels spaced about 2' apart for more even coverage. I would think a similar setup with two 2'x2' panels would work in the Diamond housing.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
If I went this route how would I orient the 2 panels? Run them the 8 feet down the middle? Would this leave unlit space on the sides of the table?

That won't be a problem. It's not a projector or shower. If you have a light box I would not bother with the panel route. Go with a tube style which can be replaced if and when you have a failure. A lot of the MTBF ratings of the LED's is suspect and based on calculation...not actual results.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_time_between_failures

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the quick replies. Can you please check what lumens you are using. The ballasts do have a slight hum so that would be nice. Right now the bulbs have the single push style ends like the LEDs I posted. Should I just beep those fittings on the fixture or replace them? Also I do not intend to get rid of the defusers. I dont think it would work well without them.

As far as 2x4 panels I dont even know where to begin looking.

I kept the fixtures and just replaced the tombstones with single pole new ones. This made it easier to rewire and the originals had a few cracks in the plastic I didn’t like.

I kept the factory diffusers but will eventually be moving to the parabolic diffusers at a later date.

I looked at the 2x4 panels but liked the ease of the retrofit the LED bulbs offered.

drlouis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't installed them yet, but I went with Hyperikon LED tubes in standard shoplight T8 fixtures which I intend to put in a box with diffusers. I'll let you guys know what I think once I have them over the table.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Led

I just built my light using 3 2x2 3600lumen 4000k led flat panels .They are end to end 47 inches above the bed.On my 9ft gold crown 4.I would not chage a thing,at 70 i can see those end rail long shots no shadows.Its like the Goldielocks of lights ( not to bright not to dim) just right.

I went the route of removing the ballast. Replaced the tombstones and put in 8 4’ bi pin LED tubes. Without the ballast you no longer get noise and it’s more efficient. The living is superb and it’s only about a hour or so project. Try searching led lighting on these forums. I listed everything I used.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums