How many names can you get?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
attachment.php

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing for seven decades now. I've seen and talked to pretty much all of the fellows in this picture at one time or another. Going left to right:

Eddie Taylor
Earl Shriver
Marshall "Squirrel" Carpenter
Handsome Danny (Jones)
"Connecticut Johnny" (Vives)
"Cowboy" Jimmy Moore
Larry "Boston Shorty" Johnson
Sonny Springer
"Joey Spades" (Spaeth)
Hubert Cokes' bodyguard
Hubert "Daddy Warbucks" Cokes
Johnny Irish
Eddie "Chris" McGehean
Unknown
Joe Procita
Unknown
Unknown

Arnaldo

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I've been playing for seven decades now. I've seen and talked to pretty much all of the fellows in this picture at one time or another. Going left to right:

Eddie Taylor
Earl Shriver
Handsome Danny (Jones)
"Cowboy" Jimmy Moore
Sonny Springer
"Joey Spades" (Spaeth)
Hubert Cokes' bodyguard
Johnny Irish
Eddie "Chris" McGehean
Unknown
Joe Procita
Unknown
Unknown

Arnaldo

Arnaldo, what event would bring these well dressed gents together?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Eddie Taylor
Earl Shriver
Handsome Danny (Jones)
"Cowboy" Jimmy Moore
Sonny Springer
"Joey Spades" (Spaeth)
Hubert Cokes' bodyguard
Johnny Irish
Eddie "Chris" McGehean
Unknown
Joe Procita
Unknown
Unknown

Arnaldo
Thanx, Arn
I was pleased tp see Chris McGehean’s face...we played snooker for three days when
I was a kid in Gary IN...I almost went broke the first day.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arnaldo, what event would bring these well dressed gents together?

Thanks, I didn't think people would recognize John Vives from CT- when I moved up there from NY in 84 he was still playing but I remember being in a New Haven Ct room in the early 90s and there was a big argument over Vives not paying off on a big bet. I think he fought some DEAMONS MOST of his life- but in the 60s he was one of the best one pocket players in the US. I had a room owner in Ct tell me that Johnny Ervolino from NYC used to travel to Ct with a few mobsters and a few dames and gamble big $$ with Vives into the AM in DERBY CT. Wish I was there to see that! Two of the nations gambling best at that time battling it out all night long, with all the backdrop that Hollywood would die for!!

i can just imagine Ervolino's crew- mobsters and gun molls- bolting down I95 at 6am in a Continental Convertible after a session with Vives!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks, I didn't think people would recognize John Vives from CT- when I moved up there from NY in 84 he was still playing but I remember being in a New Haven Ct room in the early 90s and there was a big argument over Vives not paying off on a big bet. I think he fought some DEAMONS MOST of his life- but in the 60s he was one of the best one pocket players in the US. I had a room owner in Ct tell me that Johnny Ervolino from NYC used to travel to Ct with a few mobsters and a few dames and gamble big $$ with Vives into the AM in DERBY CT. Wish I was there to see that! Two of the nations gambling best at that time battling it out all night long, with all the backdrop that Hollywood would die for!!

i can just imagine Ervolino's crew- mobsters and gun molls- bolting down I95 at 6am in a Continental Convertible after a session with Vives!

johnny vives won the 1961 hustlers jamboree in johnston city
that was the first year and was only onepocket

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy to the very left of Joe Procita in the picture {its actually his right} between him and sunglasses is Don Sebastion , the guy to Procitas right standing higher is Lester Coleman and the guy standing below him is John Hoppe , no relation to Willie that I know of.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thanks for this thread as it made me feel young. I could identify just three of them: Eddie Taylor, Jimmy Moore and Boston Shorty.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a little weird that I posted this one day before Squirrel passed. I wonder if any of the others in that picture are still with us.