Sterilzing A Commercial Pool Room

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as there are carriers, that # resets over and over again.
Pool rooms will reopen before too long, given the near-certain advent in coming months of a universally available annual anti-CoVid certified vaccine treatment/prevention regimen for everyone (akin to anti-flu shots). (The just announced University of Pittsburgh epidermis-applied antibody-based, absorbable multi "needle" transmission mode looks to be a leading proposed solution now under trials.
Here's the details: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200402144508.htm

In addition, highest quality air conditioner filtration in busy commercial rooms is going to be a major consideration when pool rooms reopen again -- to ensure that random exhaled particles are captured within the filters before continual recirculation can occur.

An excerpt from the article seen at the below linked page implies a parallel between cruise ships, pool rooms, and any indoor environments as they relate to airborne viruses (and bacteria . . . as with Legionnaires disease decades ago):
--------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.fastcompany.com/90474397/its-time-to-redesign-travel-for-the-age-of-covid-19
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ships and buildings . . . .generally use lower-grade filters, which are less taxing on HVAC systems, but also only catch somewhere between 20% to 40% of viruses passing through.

“That’s why when Diamond Princess was under quarantine, I feel they did a terrible job,” says Qinyang Chen [Chen is one of the foremost experts on indoor environments] of the disaster that infected 700 people and killed 8. “They didn’t let people get off.” Carnival failed to disinfect the ship upon learning there was a carrier of coronavirus on board. Then, as the ship docked for two weeks in Yokohama, Japan, most people were confined to their own quarters rather than allowed to go to land in a larger quarantine. Those infected with coronavirus were expelling the virus into the ship’s shared air, which could be sucked right out their door and, in a matter of minutes, into someone else’s room.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arnaldo ~ Helpfully intended and hopefully informative info

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was there further info about concentrations?

Substances can exist in detectable amounts that are not of sufficient concentration to do much more than be detected.

Just wondering, never looked into the matter you shared.
CDC says coronavirus RNA found in Princess Cruise ship cabins up to 17 days after passengers left
PUBLISHED MON, MAR 23 20205:49 PM EDTUPDATED SAT, MAR 28 20202:53 PM EDT

The coronavirus RNA was found on surfaces of the Princess Cruise ship up to 17 days
after passengers disembarked, new research byoutbreaks the CDC shows.

Researchers looked at the COVID-19 on the Carnival-owned Diamond Princess
ship in Japan and the Grand Princess ship in California.

The coronavirus’ RNA “was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic
and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated.”

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OMG.......this is a brand new Coronavirus that we are learning more about day by day.
Viruses are considered to be pseudo-alive and so even the tiniest amount can infect.

It enters the body, attaches to other living cells & use the cells DNA to reproduce.
So if it can be detected, it can be acquired. Once acquired, it can infect. Once infected,
well, you know the rest....Geometric escalation in the number of infections and deaths.

When the virus is present or detected at any level whatsoever, you don’t wanna be close.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Chlorine Bleach 2400ppm

If it were my pool room this is how I would do it.

1 tablespoon of chlorine bleach to 16 oz. of water sprayed on everything and let it air dry.

It's on page 5 of the pdf available online showing the formula for what kills coronavirus.

I'd do it two or three times before the public sets foot back in the place.

When I find the thread where I embedded the pdf I'll post it here.

Here is a link to the post in NPR where the link is embedded. Note the pdf comes from the clorox company. https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=6599750#post6599750

I use this formula for making hand sanitizer for myself. I don't worry about the strength of the mixture because you can't even smell the chlorine and how many of us have soaked in
a chlorine water pool all day long? It's cheap and it works so I'd use it. If you can't even smell it, its doubtful it would have any effect on colors. Germs be gone though.

Once the lock down is over, places are allowed to reopen, and people are able to move about freely, how will pool rooms ensure that their businesses and customers will be relatively safe from the virus?

Will their premises be sanitized with some sort of virus-killing product or process?

Will the equipment be "cleaned" in some manner between customer uses?

Will vaporizers be banned? (Don't know if it does anything, but blowing stuff around isn't something I like to be around.)

Pool halls, by LAW, have to have the nastiest bathrooms on the planet. Will the bathrooms be maintained in a clean manner?

What are you people's thoughts on this, both as players and pool room operators?

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only one way to "clean" a pool hall after this mess.....

maxresdefault.jpg

:thumbup:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it were my pool room this is how I would do it.

1 tablespoon of chlorine bleach to 16 oz. of water sprayed on everything and let it air dry.

It's on page 5 of the pdf available online showing the formula for what kills coronavirus.

I'd do it two or three times before the public sets foot back in the place.

When I find the thread where I embedded the pdf I'll post it here.

Here is a link to the post in NPR where the link is embedded. Note the pdf comes from the clorox company. https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=6599750#post6599750

I use this formula for making hand sanitizer for myself. I don't worry about the strength of the mixture because you can't even smell the chlorine and how many of us have soaked in
a chlorine water pool all day long? It's cheap and it works so I'd use it. If you can't even smell it, its doubtful it would have any effect on colors. Germs be gone though.

Here is a link for making your own wipes and spray solution.

https://nypost.com/video/how-to-make-disinfectant-spray-at-home/

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This virus isn’t going anywhere, whomever is going to get it will eventually get it.

Between 40% and 80% of everybody will eventually have this disease.
So, yes, the virus is not going anywhere.

As with any virus/germs standard cleaning should always be a concern. Beyond what places of business should be doing anyway there’s not much else we can do.

This virus has been going around since December/January. I had two coworkers in their 20’s who were out for 3 weeks, had all the symptoms of it. They felt absolutely terrible and said it was oppressively miserable. Not everyone at work got it. The sick people stayed home and we washed our hands and kept our business clean.

People are still shopping, Wisconsin still has their Primary on Tuesday, life will get back to normal.

There is going to be a "new kind of normal" at lest until enough people have already had the disease.

But (B U T) having an election this Tuesday is a recipe for disaster.

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Until there is a vaccine it would be foolish to play at any pool room. If that should happen before that time you better be healthy & hope the lord is on your side.
For us older folks, like me, it would be suicide. There are just way to many variables
and I suspect its not likely to anytime soon or this year for that matter.
Rod

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Cruise ships gave me the "willies" before corona. I wouldn't get on one of those floating petri dishes for any amount of money. I think that industry may be done for some time.

Me too....I don’t want to be stuck on a cruise ship.
I’ve turned down quite a few in the last few years....low priced...and some free.
...and I’m not interested in a guided tour....I travel well....no schedules for me.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I was supposed to leave for Italy end of May. I was lucky to get offered 1000
less than I paid and I took it. I had already decided I wasn't getting on no damn cruise ship.

Me too....I don’t want to be stuck on a cruise ship.
I’ve turned down quite a few in the last few years....low priced...and some free.
...and I’m not interested in a guided tour....I travel well....no schedules for me.