Tournament Idea for MD,VA,PA,DE Area's

dannyb78

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am interested in running a Ameteur only Bar Table Event in Cambridge,MD on 7 Foot Gabriel Tables. This tournament would be a $55 entry fee with $500 added. There will be no greens fees and it will be 100% payback. This tournament would be limited to the first 48 players paid. This would make a $3,140 purse. This would be a nice little pot for the Ameteur players in the area to battle it our for. We would also have a calcutta. This area does pretty well with calcuttas. We had over $1,000 in little handicap tournament yesterday.

Payouts based on 48 Players would be:
1st $1000
2nd $500
3rd $400
4th $300
5th $200
6th $200
7th $150
8th $150
9th $60
10th $60
11th $60
12th $60

Like I siad, this would be for Ameteur players only. Individuals who are pros, make a living playing pool, or have won any Tour Stops in the last few years, are not able to play.

This thread is to see if there is any interest for this type of tournament in this area. I have ran many succesful tournaments in the past. I want to hear some thoughts on just a Ameteur event.

Black Balled, you would have a hand written invitation. You have to have filler players even at Ameteur Tournaments.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I am interested in running a Ameteur only Bar Table Event in Cambridge,MD on 7 Foot Gabriel Tables. This tournament would be a $55 entry fee with $500 added. There will be no greens fees and it will be 100% payback. This tournament would be limited to the first 48 players paid. This would make a $3,140 purse. This would be a nice little pot for the Ameteur players in the area to battle it our for. We would also have a calcutta. This area does pretty well with calcuttas. We had over $1,000 in little handicap tournament yesterday.

1st $1000
2nd $500
3rd $400
4th $300
5th $200
6th $200
7th $150
8th $150
9th $60
10th $60
11th $60
12th $60

Like I siad, this would be for Ameteur players only. Individuals who are pros, make a living playing pool, or have won any Tour Stops in the last few years, are not able to play.

This thread is to see if there is any interest for this type of tournament in this area. I have ran many succesful tournaments in the past. I want to hear some thoughts on just a Ameteur event.

Black Balled, you would have a hand written invitation. You have to have filler players even at Ameteur Tournaments.

Why limit to 48 players? Small room? Limiting to "ameteur players" is cool but very hard to do. Where is the cutoff? That line is very burry.

DGHustles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1st $1000
2nd $500
3rd $400
4th $300
5th $200
6th $200
7th $150
8th $150
9th $60
10th $60
11th $60
12th $60

I love the idea of just amateur. The tournament could be more prominent ( as in more players) if you made it open. BUT, since you want to limit to 48 players you solve that problem. I say go for it...and...also do a bar table championship that is open!

DGHustles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why limit to 48 players? Small room? Limiting to "ameteur players" is cool but very hard to do. Where is the cutoff? That line is very burry.

agreed the line is very subjective and could cause problems, and a lot of complaining.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
03fc8b97-4603-47b1-a934-e5aee584b96b.jpg

angry-at-computer.jpg

Last edited:

dannyb78

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Small room. Eight Tables.. We had 72 in the last tournament I did, it took almost two full days.

I am looking into Venues that could expand field and payouts.

dannyb78

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the Ameteur idea looks apealing, I can possibly move it to a huge room, and have a ton of players.

I am mainly trying to get a feel of how much succes this tournament could get.

I have had several texts in the last 10 Minutes. LOL

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1st $1000
2nd $500
3rd $400
4th $300
5th $200
6th $200
7th $150
8th $150
9th $60
10th $60
11th $60
12th $60

Hey Danny,
I have some questions and a statement:

1. Is this going to be at Great Slates?
2. If not, what other rooms were you thinking of that has enough bar tables? The only one that comes to mind is Bank Shots in Laurel, MD...and as you know...they are not going to budge on the "no jump shot or massé" restrictions.
3. I can understand you not wanting to have pros run through the field, but to disallow strong players who have won tour stops recently seems a little harsh. That would eliminate the likes of Kevin West, Brett Stottlemyer, Matt Krah, Josh Brothers, Shaun Wilkie, Brian Deska, Brandon Shuff, Manny Chau, etc. Plus, I don't remember a lot of pros at your previous events, and you always got great turnouts.
4. Thank you for not making this a handicapped event!
5. When did you want to do this?
6. Will you be streaming any matches?

Talk to you soon.

Perk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be in and it could be a good warmup for the VF event coming up in the next few months. Please work around the other tours that are around here. Any idea for an economy hotel right near there? $50/night?

~Perk

dannyb78

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Danny,
I have some questions and a statement:

1. Is this going to be at Great Slates?
2. If not, what other rooms were you thinking of that has enough bar tables? The only one that comes to mind is Bank Shots in Laurel, MD...and as you know...they are not going to budge on the "no jump shot or massé" restrictions.
3. I can understand you not wanting to have pros run through the field, but to disallow strong players who have won tour stops recently seems a little harsh. That would eliminate the likes of Kevin West, Brett Stottlemyer, Matt Krah, Josh Brothers, Shaun Wilkie, Brian Deska, Brandon Shuff, Manny Chau, etc. Plus, I don't remember a lot of pros at your previous events, and you always got great turnouts.
4. Thank you for not making this a handicapped event!
5. When did you want to do this?
6. Will you be streaming any matches?

Talk to you soon.

Great Slates is where it would be if it was in Cambridge. Tables play great. But, as you know we would have to cut it off at 48 players. Far as other rooms go, that is the tuff part. You have talked to bank shots and know there story. I have talked to the green room in the past, but there schedule is so hectic with the APA. Cambridge is the perfect place for a 48 player tournament. After that, it is tuff. The real hard part is to find a room that will add the money and want nothing in return. John is one of the few owners that will do that.

Far as the players that can and can't play. It really does not matter to me. I am trying to see how every one else stands. I just did not want Larry Nevel showing up to another one of my tournaments. Nothing against him. He finished 2nd in the summer showdown I ran. Some dude from Delaware put the smack down on him in the finals. I do like having better players at my tournaments. Better the players, higher the calcuta.

Far as when goes, There is nothing set in stone. But it would have to be while it is still cold to get the best turn out.

Stream would be nice if possible. I will check into this.

But, when it all said and done. I still will have to hash out all the details. I just wish I was not limited on space in cambridge. The 100% payback is the nuts. I do want to have a tournament in the next few months.

Any suggestions, will be appreciated.

dannyb78

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be in and it could be a good warmup for the VF event coming up in the next few months. Please work around the other tours that are around here. Any idea for an economy hotel right near there? $50/night?

~Perk

No worries on this... I am very considerate when running a tournament. To have the best possible turnout,, you have to have it on a weekend when nothing else is going on.

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Slates is where it would be if it was in Cambridge. Tables play great. But, as you know we would have to cut it off at 48 players. Far as other rooms go, that is the tuff part. You have talked to bank shots and know there story. I have talked to the green room in the past, but there schedule is so hectic with the APA. Cambridge is the perfect place for a 48 player tournament. After that, it is tuff. The real hard part is to find a room that will add the money and want nothing in return. John is one of the few owners that will do that.

Far as the players that can and can't play. It really does not matter to me. I am trying to see how every one else stands. I just did not want Larry Nevel showing up to another one of my tournaments. Nothing against him. He finished 2nd in the summer showdown I ran. Some dude from Delaware put the smack down on him in the finals. I do like having better players at my tournaments. Better the players, higher the calcuta.

Far as when goes, There is nothing set in stone. But it would have to be while it is still cold to get the best turn out.

Stream would be nice if possible. I will check into this.

But, when it all said and done. I still will have to hash out all the details. I just wish I was not limited on space in cambridge. The 100% payback is the nuts. I do want to have a tournament in the next few months.

Any suggestions, will be appreciated.
I was chatting with one of the bartenders at The Green Room and she said Saturdays are slow when there are no APA events. Their busiest times are during the week for league pool, so you may want to re-check that. Green Room is purrr-fect for a big bar table event!

Nothing against John or Great Slates, we are just looking at numbers here.

Plus I don't think most players would mind if there was no added money. Most of us are grateful to have decent tournaments to attend.