What I believe is the most pure form of pool

Elwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Skills that are largely missing from full rack banks are thin cuts, carom shots played intentionally, break shots, combination shots, and multi-rail cue ball position play. There are quite a few shots played with minimal attention played to position. While the two way shot aspect of bank pool is of comparable complexity to that of one pocket, the defensive play in bank pool requires a bit less speed control than what is required in one pocket, straight pool, and rotation games.

Bank pool players need to have great skills and they always put on a great show, but I think that straight pool and one pocket are better tests of pure skills over the green felt.

Finally, I do not agree that the break doesn't matter in bank pool. Having the first shot is a big deal at the highest level, and there is ample motivation to fix the rack for those inclined to do so. At high level, the game in which the break shot matters the least is definitely straight pool.

Full rack banks is a beautiful game and a serious test of pool, but I'd have to disagree that it's a more pure test of skill than the other games.
I'm not sure, at "high level",(quoting you) that the break shot in 14.1 is the break shot that matters the least. The break shot in 14.1 is of the utmost importance...

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Then the player that won the break didn't execute a good break shot. If said player does break properly, they will come to the table again...

Sure, but I was commenting on the statement that 14.1 is the game "in which the break shot matters the least." Sometimes it means everything to the guy who does it poorly!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
On a table with more forgiving pockets I wouldprobably break wide open, tougher table (like a Diamond pro spec pockets) then safety is in order.

What are the requirements for the opening break in full rack banks? Do you have to drive any object balls to a rail? I've never seen a defensive break in full rack banks, but I've also never seen the game played on tight pockets.

Last edited:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are many banks that must be hit thin in order to make, plus combinations make the game more difficult to film. I am talking about what I think would be marketable from a filming standpoint.I agreet that position and some facets of the game as we know it would be lessoned to a certain degree. There is nothing much more colorful than that watching Glen Rogers dance around banking the lights out like a smooth banking machine ( just an example). A format in which both players would not play safe too much would bring out more offensive shots.

You have a great idea about a game to be promoted,it is entertaining as well as simple to understand. That does not make it "pure". Luck rears it ugly head in balls ending in bad postion and scratch kisses! And rack mechanics still enter into the game.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Wow Danny. Nice post Sir!!! That's a very big post by you my friend!!!

I would like to take this oppurtunity to apolagize to Justin from TAR for some of the comments I have made directed towards him here on this forum, the match between JS and myself was to say the least interesting. I was honored to have been invited to compete even though there was a communication slip between Justin and myself for the 3rd match. That having been said I guess I will believe him in that I would have been offered the same monetary amount to play the 3rd match that Justin said he raised for JS when JS turned down his offer. I would also offer my condolences to the TAR crew, Big Chad had plenty of heart and I know he loved pool as I believe Justin does also. So again thanks to Duff (Side Pockets - Lees Summitt, MO), Scott Edwards,(Lees Summitt,MO) and all of the TAR crew.

Sincerley, Danny Harriman

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
No worries on the rack

You have a great idea about a game to be promoted,it is entertaining as well as simple to understand. That does not make it "pure". Luck rears it ugly head in balls ending in bad postion and scratch kisses! And rack mechanics still enter into the game.

I would break safe playing most top flight competition - THE RACK MECHANICS DON'T HAVE A HORSE IN THE RACE Period, and yes this is relative to the game being pure. In short rack, it's all about the wing ball rack your own, loser rack, it's a lose lose situation. Full rack with the rack tapped there are too many balls rolling around and no wired balls as in 9 ball bank (short rack). I am not sure but I believe two object balls plus the cue ball = a legal opening break in full rack (which is the only way to see bank pool played correctly. If playing a race to 23 (Full Rack) I would break according to the score and or how I feel. We need the camera crew that films snooker matches and the game here in the states should be bank pool.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I agree .Not sure what Danny ment by pure.It sounds like he's talking about a game that one cant take advantage of.
I was referring to the fact that in full rack banks - all balls must be pocketed clean. Other disciplines like one pocket,14.1, and rotation - the balls can carom off another ball and the shot is legit, in bank that is not allowed, everything must go clean and the rack is not really an issue - ever.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I disagree - there are no kiss shots allowed in bank, and u are wrong about the rack being even a slight factor in full rack bank - it is not. In short rack bank - the rack i.e. corner ball - is and always has been a major issue. In a discipline such as 8 ball there are different rules, some play call shot vs call pocket, bank pool = call pocket only and the shot must go clean - this does make it a more PURE discipline than say eight ball, rotation, and even 14.1 (a personal favorite). In full rack bank - the bank has to arrive at the pocket - without touching another ball. U would be wise to not argue with bank pool champs - it makes u seem impure and or plain ol stupid; )

Last edited:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny in 2012 when you first replied to my post you weren't even sure of the rules about the break. Now you insist the rack doesn't matter. Not sure if I should tell you to wake up or go back to sleep?
there are no kiss shots allowed in bank, and u are wrong about the rack being even a slight factor in full rack bank - it is not.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Funny in 2012 when you first replied to my post you weren't even sure of the rules about the break. Now you insist the rack doesn't matter. Not sure if I should tell you to wake up or go back to sleep?
I break wide open most of the time and run many banks after the dispersal, if John Brumback and myself tell you that u need not consider the rack an issue in banks - u would be wise to wake up yerself and smell the coffee beans. We both have Won major titles in Bank Pool and are plenty qualified to answer any of yer questions. Did u notice Brumback also agreed with me about the rack not being a factor? Bhut yea yer kinda funny, I am sure u know how to teach yer dog to bark eh. lol alpha imbred. Maybe u should do sumthin' more constructive wit yer time, or leave yer desk/cubicle to clear yer thoughts 4 a bit.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
How about snooker?
I love snooker and grew up practicing it much, in snooker the red balls can also be caromed in off another ball near a pocket, this does not make it a bad game or discipline of cuing, this does however separate it from Bank Pool - the purest form of Pocket Billiards.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I break wide open most of the time and run many banks after the dispersal, if John Brumback and myself tell you that u need not consider the rack an issue in banks - u would be wise to wake up yerself and smell the coffee beans. We both have Won major titles in Bank Pool and are plenty qualified to answer any of yer questions. Did u notice Brumback also agreed with me about the rack not being a factor? Bhut yea yer kinda funny, I am sure u know how to teach yer dog to bark eh. lol alpha imbred. Maybe u should do sumthin' more constructive wit yer time, or leave yer desk/cubicle to clear yer thoughts 4 a bit.
You sure you want to start a pissing contest with a elephant ?

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
You sure you want to start a pissing contest with a elephant ?
U should tell yerself to stop arguing about bank pool with top players, the only rule i need to know wit u - is put yer $ on the light. Please expound me on any future bank knowledge u think u might posses - by dropping through Spfd, Mo and betting yer cash playin me bank pool - u will walk lighter - even for an human elephant moron. Any questions alpha pooch?

Last edited:

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
U should tell yerself to stop arguing about bank pool with top players, the only rule i need to know wit u - is put yer $ on the light. Please expound me on any future bank knowledge u think u might posses - by dropping through Spfd, Mo and betting yer cash playin me bank pool - u will walk lighter - even for an human elephant moron.
Why did you resurrect a 9 year old thread just to be a jackass?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Is there a billiard game where the player that played the best doesn’t win in the long run?

I think they’re all pure.