Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Is there a God?
View Poll Results: Is there aGod / Gods?
BELIEVER: Yes I believe there is/are God or Gods. 70 42.68%
ATHEIST: NO I do not believe in God/Gods 40 24.39%
AGNOSTIC: I do not know as I lack evidence one way or the other. 45 27.44%
None of your damn business. 9 5.49%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Page 76 of 79 « First 2666747576 7778 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.54 average.
Old
  (#1126)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!
LWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-26-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjeff View Post
You gotta love his T-shirts, though!

Jeff Livingston
I have a few ... and I know you find this hard to believe, but Sheldon and I share a DNA strand or two.

The best secretary I ever had once bought me for Christmas a desk plaque tt said "THOSE OF YOU WHO THINK YOU KNOW EVERYTHING ANNOY THE HECK OUT OF THOSE OF US WHO ACTUALLY DO."

"I can't stand you (LWW). You're one of the worst people I've ever known...You can rot in hell you pathetic loser."
-Bishop-

"Whether or not its a lie is irrelevant."
-Bishop-

"I have better things to do than worry about fact checking whats being published ..."
-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

"I have high hopes that you (LWW) and your sympathizers will be led to the gallows."
-9BallPaul-

Old
  (#1127)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!
LWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond repute

12-26-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hani View Post
Well even if there was a creator or a beginner, how do we know he's still alive??????
Because if he's not, that would explain a lot of the mis-haps in this world.!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
How do we know the Creator has a gender?

How and what would be explained?

As messed up as the world is ... it is far more civilized on balance than it has ever been.

If you think the recent school shootings were bad, research the blessings that the Khans brought to town.

If you think the aids plague is bad, research the bubonic plague.

Comparatively speaking, we are walking in tall cotton these days.

"I can't stand you (LWW). You're one of the worst people I've ever known...You can rot in hell you pathetic loser."
-Bishop-

-Bishop-

"I have better things to do than worry about fact checking whats being published ..."
-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

"I have high hopes that you (LWW) and your sympathizers will be led to the gallows."
-9BallPaul-

Old
  (#1128)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-26-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWW View Post
How do we know the Creator has a gender?

How and what would be explained?

As messed up as the world is ... it is far more civilized on balance than it has ever been.

If you think the recent school shootings were bad, research the blessings that the Khans brought to town.

If you think the aids plague is bad, research the bubonic plague.

Comparatively speaking, we are walking in tall cotton these days.
Could not agree more.... anyone want to get in a time machine and live during anytime during the 600 or so years of the Dark Ages ?)

Old
  (#1129)
hani
AzB Silver Member
hani has a reputation beyond reputehani has a reputation beyond reputehani has a reputation beyond reputehani has a reputation beyond reputehani has a reputation beyond reputehani has a reputation beyond reputehani has a reputation beyond reputehani has a reputation beyond reputehani has a reputation beyond reputehani has a reputation beyond reputehani has a reputation beyond repute

12-26-2012, 06:19 PM

Human rights is my bible. No for religion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Old
  (#1130)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

12-26-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
jsp:
...what am I but just a collection of subatomic particles?
If you insist that gods are needed to make you more than that, then I guess that's all you are.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#1131)
RenoRex
High Desert Dweller
RenoRex has a reputation beyond reputeRenoRex has a reputation beyond reputeRenoRex has a reputation beyond reputeRenoRex has a reputation beyond reputeRenoRex has a reputation beyond reputeRenoRex has a reputation beyond reputeRenoRex has a reputation beyond reputeRenoRex has a reputation beyond reputeRenoRex has a reputation beyond reputeRenoRex has a reputation beyond reputeRenoRex has a reputation beyond repute

12-27-2012, 12:42 AM

When I look around at the Wonders of Nature, the Wildlife, my Beautiful
Children and Grand-children ... I can't help but believe all these things came
from something other than a "Big Bang".

Gerlach, NV ... "Where the Pavement ends and the West begins" ... Bruno Selmi

Old
  (#1132)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

12-27-2012, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoRex View Post
When I look around at the Wonders of Nature, the Wildlife, my Beautiful
Children and Grand-children ... I can't help but believe all these things came
from something other than a "Big Bang".
That's a nice comforting belief - I'll bet you could change it if you weren't so fond of it.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#1133)
jsp
AzB Silver Member
jsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2600

12-27-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
If you insist that gods are needed to make you more than that, then I guess that's all you are.
I'd like for you to actually engage in an argument instead of inserting pointless quips that makes you feel like you've refuted the argument when in actuality you've simply dodged it. (And I was arguing about the metaphysical concerning moral responsibility, not necessarily "gods".)

Provide us with an argument why you think we are all absolutely more than the subatomic particles that make us up, without admitting illusions or delving into mysticism or anything metaphysical. Do you really think we are all inherently "special" creations of this universe?

Keep in mind that you still believe in libertarian free will while essentially all of New Atheism flatly rejects such a thing (or believes in a compatibilist free will that is entirely different from metaphysical libertarianism).

Old
  (#1134)
jsp
AzB Silver Member
jsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2600

12-27-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
That's a nice comforting belief - I'll bet you could change it if you weren't so fond of it.
Same for you and free will.

Old
  (#1135)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!

12-27-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp View Post
I'd like for you to actually engage in an argument instead of inserting pointless quips that makes you feel like you've refuted the argument when in actuality you've simply dodged it. (And I was arguing about the metaphysical concerning moral responsibility, not necessarily "gods".)

Provide us with an argument why you think we are all absolutely more than the subatomic particles that make us up, without admitting illusions or delving into mysticism or anything metaphysical. Do you really think we are all inherently "special" creations of this universe?

Keep in mind that you still believe in libertarian free will while essentially all of New Atheism flatly rejects such a thing (or believes in a compatibilist free will that is entirely different from metaphysical libertarianism).
Here is your problem ... you are holding the bar far too high.

Even the great Dawkins has invoked mysticism and intelligent design to explain away what e s uncomfortable with.

-Bishop-

-Bishop-

-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

-9BallPaul-

Old
  (#1136)
bdcues
AzB Silver Member

bdcues has a reputation beyond reputebdcues has a reputation beyond reputebdcues has a reputation beyond reputebdcues has a reputation beyond reputebdcues has a reputation beyond reputebdcues has a reputation beyond reputebdcues has a reputation beyond reputebdcues has a reputation beyond reputebdcues has a reputation beyond reputebdcues has a reputation beyond reputebdcues has a reputation beyond repute

12-27-2012, 06:43 AM

I am way late in this discussion and will not be going through all the pages to see if this has been posted before or not but even if it has...

God vs.Science
"Let me explain the problem science has with religion."
The atheist professor of philosophy pauses before his class and then asks one of his new students to stand.

'You're a Christian, aren't you, son?'

'Yes sir,' the student says.

'So you believe in God?'

'Absolutely '

'Is God good?'

'Sure! God's good.'

'Is God all-powerful? Can God do anything?'

'Yes'

'Are you good or evil?'

'The Bible says I'm evil.'

The professor grins knowingly. 'Aha! The Bible! He considers for a moment. 'Here's one for you. Let's say there's a sick person over here and you can cure him. You can do it. Would you help him? Would you try?'

'Yes sir, I would.'

'So you're good...!'

'I wouldn't say that.'

'But why not say that? You'd help a sick and maimed person if you could. Most of us would if we could. But God doesn't.'

The student does not answer, so the professor continues. 'He doesn't, does he? My brother was a Christian who died of cancer, even though he prayed to Jesus to heal him. How is this Jesus good? Can you answer that one?'

The student remains silent. 'No, you can't, can you?' the professor says. He takes a sip of water from a glass on his desk to give the student time to relax. 'Let's start again, young fella.. Is God good?'

'Er..yes,' the student says.

'Is Satan good?'

The student doesn't hesitate on this one.. 'No.'

'Then where does Satan come from?'

The student falters. 'From God'

'That's right. God made Satan, didn't he? Tell me, son. Is there evil in this world?'

'Yes, sir.'

'Evil's everywhere, isn't it? And God did make everything, correct?'

'Yes'

'So who created evil?' The professor continued, 'If God created everything, then God created evil, since evil exists, and according to the principle that our works define who we are, then God is evil.'

Again, the student has no answer. 'Is there sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness? All these terrible things, do they exist in this world?'

The student squirms on his feet. 'Yes.'

'So who created them ?'

The student does not answer again, so the professor repeats his question. 'Who created them?' There is still no answer. Suddenly the lecturer breaks away to pace in front of the classroom.. The class is mesmerized. 'Tell me,' he continues onto another student. 'Do you believe in Jesus Christ, son?'

The student's voice betrays him and cracks. 'Yes, professor, I do.'

The old man stops pacing. 'Science says you have five senses you use to identify and observe the world around you. Have you ever seen Jesus?'

'No sir. I've never seen Him.'

'Then tell us if you've ever heard your Jesus?'

'No, sir, I have not.'

'Have you ever felt your Jesus, tasted your Jesus or smelt your Jesus? Have you ever had any sensory perception of Jesus Christ, or God for that matter?'

'No, sir, I'm afraid I haven't.'

'Yet you still believe in him?'

'Yes'

'According to the rules of empirical, testable, demonstrable protocol, science says your God doesn't exist... What do you say to that, son?'

'Nothing,' the student replies.. 'I only have my faith.'

'Yes, faith,' the professor repeats. 'And that is the problem science has with God. There is no evidence, only faith.'

The student stands quietly for a moment, before asking a question of His own. 'Professor, is there such thing as heat? '

' Yes.

'And is there such a thing as cold?'

'Yes, son, there's cold too.'

'No sir, there isn't.'

The professor turns to face the student, obviously interested. The room suddenly becomes very quiet. The student begins to explain. 'You can have lots of heat, even more heat, super-heat, mega-heat, unlimited heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat, but we don't have anything called 'cold'. We can hit down to 458 degrees below zero, which is no heat, but we can't go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold; otherwise we would be able to go colder than the lowest -458 degrees. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy.. Absolute zero (-458 F) is the total absence of heat. You see, sir, cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold. Heat we can measure in thermal units because heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it.'

Silence across the room. A pen drops somewhere in the classroom, sounding like a hammer.

'What about darkness, professor. Is there such a thing as darkness?'

'Yes,' the professor replies without hesitation. 'What is night if it isn't darkness?'

'You're wrong again, sir. Darkness is not something; it is the absence of something. You can have low light, normal light, bright light, flashing light, but if you have no light constantly you have nothing and it's called darkness, isn't it? That's the meaning we use to define the word. In reality, darkness isn't. If it were, you would be able to make darkness darker, wouldn't you?'

The professor begins to smile at the student in front of him. This will be a good semester. 'So what point are you making, young man?'

'Yes, professor. My point is, your philosophical premise is flawed to start with, and so your conclusion must also be flawed.'

The professor's face cannot hide his surprise this time. 'Flawed? Can you explain how?'

'You are working on the premise of duality,' the student explains.. 'You argue that there is life and then there's death; a good God and a bad God. You are viewing the concept of God as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, science can't even explain a thought.' 'It uses electricity and magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one. To view death as the opposite of life is to be ignorant of the fact that death cannot exist as a substantive thing. Death is not the opposite of life, just the absence of it.' 'Now tell me, professor. Do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?'

'If you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, young man, yes, of course I do.'

'Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?'

The professor begins to shake his head, still smiling, as he realizes where the argument is going. A very good semester, indeed.

'Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor, are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you now not a scientist, but a preacher?'

The class is in uproar. The student remains silent until the commotion has subsided. 'To continue the point you were making earlier to the other student, let me give you an example of what I mean.' The student looks around the room. 'Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the professor's brain?' The class breaks out into laughter. 'Is there anyone here who has ever heard the professor's brain, felt the professor's brain, touched or smelt the professor's brain? No one appears to have done so.. So, according to the established rules of empirical, stable, demonstrable protocol, science says that you have no brain, with all due respect, sir.' 'So if science says you have no brain, how can we trust your lectures, sir?'

Now the room is silent. The professor just stares at the student, his face unreadable. Finally, after what seems an eternity, the old man answers. 'I Guess you'll have to take them on faith.'

'Now, you accept that there is faith, and, in fact, faith exists with life,' the student continues. 'Now, sir, is there such a thing as evil?' Now uncertain, the professor responds, 'Of course, there is. We see it Everyday. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man. It is in The multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world.. These manifestations are nothing else but evil.'

To this the student replied, 'Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God.. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light.'

The professor sat down.

If you read it all the way through and had a smile on your face when you finished, mail to your friends and family with the title 'God vs. Science'

PS: The student was Albert Einstein.

Albert Einstein wrote a book titled 'God vs. Science' in 1921.....

The founding fathers set in place a system where every man was King and every President, including George Washington, has worked to take your rights away, to tax you into slavery, to divide you on political/social and economic lines and to make sure you never find out that your ancestors were King for a day.

Bob Danielson
Check out our newly updated website -
www.bdcuesandcomix.com
bob@bdcuesandcomix.com

Old
  (#1137)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!

12-27-2012, 07:30 AM

I've seen different versions of that story, but I've never seen any evidence that Einstein ever said it.

That doesn't invalidate the story's points, I just wish it had never benn misattributed.

-Bishop-

-Bishop-

-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

-9BallPaul-

Old
  (#1138)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!

12-27-2012, 07:39 AM

But to invoke Albert again:

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human understanding, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."

-Bishop-

-Bishop-

-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

-9BallPaul-

Old
  (#1139)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

12-27-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
jsp:
I'd like for you to actually engage in an argument
You take all this way too seriously. Chill out and you'll be more likely to get responses from me.

Quote:
It would also help if you stop telling me what I believe. Isn't "libertarian" the kind that rejects determinism? Where did I say that?

pj
chgo

Last edited by Patrick Johnson; 12-27-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Old
  (#1140)
PoolBum
Abracadabra!

PoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1190

12-27-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWW View Post
I've seen different versions of that story, but I've never seen any evidence that Einstein ever said it.
He didn't say it.

"He knew what those jubilant crowds did not know, but could have learned from books; that the plague bacillus never dies or disappears for good...and that perhaps the day would come when, for the bane and the enlightening of men, it would rouse up its rats again and send them forth to die in a happy city."

Page 76 of 79 « First 2666747576 7778 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: