Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Practice Sessions - Struggling to Focus
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
tommypabs
AzB Silver Member
tommypabs has a reputation beyond reputetommypabs has a reputation beyond reputetommypabs has a reputation beyond reputetommypabs has a reputation beyond reputetommypabs has a reputation beyond reputetommypabs has a reputation beyond reputetommypabs has a reputation beyond reputetommypabs has a reputation beyond reputetommypabs has a reputation beyond reputetommypabs has a reputation beyond reputetommypabs has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-17-2016, 08:22 PM

At the pool hall today, an old timer recommended the book.... Point the Way by the Monk. Anyone read this??? Was it worth the read?

Old
  (#32)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

05-17-2016, 09:19 PM

You really are a CHUMP. Disagreeing with one the best instructors out there, along with countless sports psychologists shows how little you actually know about pool...among other things.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChump View Post
Have to disagree. You need long sessions to improve stamina and improve focus.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#33)
PoolChump
Banned
PoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond repute

Exclamation 05-17-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
You really are a CHUMP. Disagreeing with one the best instructors out there, along with countless sports psychologists shows how little you actually know about pool...among other things.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com
PHD Pool Instruction/Physics
http://IKNOWEVERYTHINGABOUTPOOL.com

Old
  (#34)
9andout
Gunnin' for a 2 pack!!
9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2016, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
I used to get bored practicing, too. I realized that unless I set up a challenge for myself, I wasn't going to stay focused.

What worked for me was that I set a prize for myself that I would only win if I met my goal. Many times my prize would be letting myself enter in my local pool room tournament. But first, I had to beat the ghost 'x' number of times out of 10 --- or something like that ---- or I had to make a ball on the break 'x' number of times out of 10, or I had to have position on the one ball after the break, 'x' number of times out of 10. (It was usually all of the above.)

If I didn't meet my goal, I wouldn't enter the tournament that week. I really enjoyed playing in those so I started really focusing when I practiced so I wouldn't make stupid mistakes. When I did play in the tournament, that good habit I developed of staying focused usually came along with me. Worked out pretty well.
This is a great approach!
If someone can really deny themselves if they fail.
Great motivation!

In training for the "Senior Division" By then I might actually be decent! Still love Earl!!
Lover of shot clocks!

Old
  (#35)
Drop The Rock
1652nd on AZ Money List
Drop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Smith View Post
I'd say in a perfect world if a player was trying to maximize their potential, 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon is ideal. Obviously few people can do this on a daily basis however.

The idea of 20 minute attention span would be implemented via switching up routines every 20 minutes, and taking a 10 minute break on the hour.

Nic Barrow's snooker training app follows this model and it works great. It really keeps you focused over the session.

5-8 hours in a row will result in a lot of unfocused practice.
Unless you're SVB who has been known to shoot the same shot for hours and hours in a row lol.

Mathers

Proud Dad, Struggling Pool Player

Pretty cool practice session
Old
  (#36)
Wedge
WO Wedge Lock
Wedge has a reputation beyond reputeWedge has a reputation beyond reputeWedge has a reputation beyond reputeWedge has a reputation beyond reputeWedge has a reputation beyond reputeWedge has a reputation beyond reputeWedge has a reputation beyond reputeWedge has a reputation beyond reputeWedge has a reputation beyond reputeWedge has a reputation beyond reputeWedge has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

Pretty cool practice session - 05-18-2016, 09:23 AM

https://www.facebook.com/phaa.hmaunp...2708623486898/

Wedge

Cues: -R- (7), Joss (3), Barnhart, McWorter, Joss West

Break & Jump Cues: Samsara, Mezz

Cases: Kamui, Murnak (2), Ron Thomas, Fellini

Chalk Holder: QPOD

Old
  (#37)
Cameron Smith
is kind of hungry...
Cameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Rock View Post
Unless you're SVB who has been known to shoot the same shot for hours and hours in a row lol.
There are exceptions to every rule . I would expect that when SVB does this he is focusing on something, be it mechanical, psychological etc. I think the down fall in this approach is when someone is hitting the same shot over and over without being conscious of any changes or adjustments that need to be made in order to improve.

I've found that when I shoot a single shot many times, by the end of the session my success rate is very high as I've become dialed in, but when it comes time to reproduce on the match table there is little improvement. Likely because my failure to make said shot is tied to some mechanical error, often times anxiety related (twitching, moving, tightening grip etc.)

I would kill for a nobel peace prize

Old
  (#38)
Brian in VA
AzB Silver Member
Brian in VA has a reputation beyond reputeBrian in VA has a reputation beyond reputeBrian in VA has a reputation beyond reputeBrian in VA has a reputation beyond reputeBrian in VA has a reputation beyond reputeBrian in VA has a reputation beyond reputeBrian in VA has a reputation beyond reputeBrian in VA has a reputation beyond reputeBrian in VA has a reputation beyond reputeBrian in VA has a reputation beyond reputeBrian in VA has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to Brian in VA  
05-18-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChump View Post
Have to disagree. You need long sessions to improve stamina and improve focus.
I'm going to disagree with you, especially since the OP said that he lost focus when practicing. I contend that short, focused sessions will enable one to play better in a long match or series of matches at a tournament. That's been my experience anyway and it also gives me a method to go back to when I'm struggling in one of those long ones.

Brian in VA

If I don't respond to you, assume that I hate a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent.

Cues: Dale Perry Playing Cue
Lucasi Break Cue

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: