Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Players HXT LD shaft vs. other LD shafts
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
scassidy77
AzB Silver Member
scassidy77 has a reputation beyond reputescassidy77 has a reputation beyond reputescassidy77 has a reputation beyond reputescassidy77 has a reputation beyond reputescassidy77 has a reputation beyond reputescassidy77 has a reputation beyond reputescassidy77 has a reputation beyond reputescassidy77 has a reputation beyond reputescassidy77 has a reputation beyond reputescassidy77 has a reputation beyond reputescassidy77 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-16-2018, 09:37 AM

Ya, I did it from my phone so it does look a little cumbersome to read now that I see it lol. I know its an old post. I didn't put it up there for this guy, I put it up there so other people who are curious about these shafts with similar questions can read it.
I have pool related questions sometimes and google search them looking for an answer. Most of the time, the information or answers I'm looking for comes from older posts on Azbilliards. So doesn't matter how old or new the posts are. All the posts are helpful and informative, but yes I see what your saying haha..

Old
  (#17)
Ched
"Hey ... I'm back"!
Ched has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond repute

02-16-2018, 11:27 AM

To the OP post:
I bought my HTX shaft /after/ I already had been using both the OB and Katana shafts. I was very disappointed. There just seemed to be a tremendous amount of squirt any time I used left or right English. (High and low didn't/don't really come into play here) Quite honestly - I thought the HTX was worse than some of my "stock" shafts (Joss - Mezz and Lucasi; although the later two do claim reduced deflection and run into higher prices)

The bottom line is going to be your own experience with the HTX. If you like it, and it seems to be accurate for what you're doing - no need to look elsewhere.

edit: You also mentioned that you couldn't justify sinking $200-$300 or more into Predator/OB etc. That pretty much should tell you what you need to know. A "gut feeling" is often a very real tip-off as to what you should do.

Best always,
Ched

cues: too many, most are pretty decent.

Last edited by Ched; 02-16-2018 at 11:32 AM.

Old
  (#18)
jsp
AzB Silver Member
jsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2600

02-16-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp View Post
Up until last week I've never played with a low deflection shaft. I'm also cheap, so I bought the least expensive LD cue that I could fine, which is a Players Pure X Technology cue with their HXT LD shaft. I've been playing with it for a week and I'm still getting used to it.

My question is this. For those who have played with one, how does the Players HXT shaft, which one can purchase for $100, compare to the more popular/expensive LD shafts such as Predator, OB, Tiger, etc.? Does the HXT shaft squirt slightly more than its more expensive counterparts? Are the differences only a matter of feel/preference?

Right now I can't justify paying twice the amount for a Predator/OB shaft if the deflection properties are comparable to the HXT shaft.
Since this thread has been bumped up after 3.5 years, I figure I give an update.

I still use the HXT shaft. I still haven't tried another low deflection shaft. And I am still cheap.

Sure the HXT shaft may have more squirt than other more expensive LD shafts, but I'm already accustomed to mine (after about a week) and I have no desire to spend money or time experimenting on another shaft.

Thanks all for the input.

Old
  (#19)
Pacecar
AzB Silver Member
Pacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond repute

02-21-2018, 08:03 PM

This is an old thread, but I wanted to give my month-long experience with the $134 shipped Pure X HXT Skinny pro-taper LD shaft cue that comes with an advertised 11.75mm Kamui black soft tip (but really measures 11.94mm .... my cue plus one other poster). I used a McDermott 12mm standard maple shaft cue for the last 30 years (worn down to 11.95mm). The McDermott shaft seemed to have a pivot point near 8", which is shorter than my normal 10.5" bridge length. Excessive squirt aim was a challenge for me for inside English, unless I choked up on my bridge and used BHE.
I'm super-happy with my HXT Skinny! It's a moderate LD shaft, that seems to have a pivot point at my normal 10.5" bridge length. The hit and feel is great. I have more confidence than ever before for consistently pocketing balls, with whatever English is needed for position play.
This HXT cue (or HXT Skinny shaft available for various joints) is a great value if you like playing with pro-taper 12mm tips and you use a moderate bridge length.

Old
  (#20)
radnur22
AzB Silver Member
radnur22 has a reputation beyond reputeradnur22 has a reputation beyond reputeradnur22 has a reputation beyond reputeradnur22 has a reputation beyond reputeradnur22 has a reputation beyond reputeradnur22 has a reputation beyond reputeradnur22 has a reputation beyond reputeradnur22 has a reputation beyond reputeradnur22 has a reputation beyond reputeradnur22 has a reputation beyond reputeradnur22 has a reputation beyond repute

02-21-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scassidy77 View Post
Ya, I did it from my phone so it does look a little cumbersome to read now that I see it lol. I know its an old post. I didn't put it up there for this guy, I put it up there so other people who are curious about these shafts with similar questions can read it.
I have pool related questions sometimes and google search them looking for an answer. Most of the time, the information or answers I'm looking for comes from older posts on Azbilliards. So doesn't matter how old or new the posts are. All the posts are helpful and informative, but yes I see what your saying haha..
Posts with good info should be resurrected occasionally. It beats searching and going through 100's of posts. I did gain good info from this post. I was going to buy a cheap HXT, but in the end, I'll continue to play with my 3 month old McDermott with a G-core shaft. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: