how are ya'll doing in league ?

radnur22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played a SL4 (I'm a SL6) in 9 ball, won 45 to 12 (she needed 35). I then played 8 ball against a SL7, I'm a SL4. Prior to the match, I noticed him playing another guy and was running 6-7 balls then a miss. So when I was matched against him, I knew it would be a tough match. Basically, there were 2-3 innings per game. Into the match he asked me if I've played before (I could tell he was a bit pissed off). I told him never in leagues and 1 tournament 35 years ago. He said I shouldn't be playing at my skill level and it was basically unfair. Well he had me 2-0, I came back and won 1, he won one, I another and then he loss by pocketing the 8 ball. So I won the match (he needed 5, I needed 3).

After the match he came over to tell me and my team Captain and said that he was going to write me up because it would be unfair for me to play against a SL5. My team Captain played me against him so my SL would be set appropriately. I know I'm better than a SL4, but until I'm proven, according to the rules, that's where I'm at. I'll probably be moved up since the past 2 times I've played a SL7 in 8 ball, I've beat them with my handicap. In passing he said "I can't wait to play you when your SL is where is should be", I said I welcome that ;)

BTW, the adrenaline was flowing, sweating hands and such. I've gotten great information from AZB on nerves during game play. I'll probably use a glove, my hands were too sweaty for a closed grip :(

Last edited:

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'mdoing about as well as expected

I'm not an advance player like many on this site. I'm 64 and just last year fell in love with the game, so I've been playing about 8-9 months. I wasn't going to join the local APA league but got talked into it. My goal was to win as many as I lose my first session, and so far I'm 7-5 in 8-ball and 9-ball so I'm doing OK but not great and my goal is obviously to get better. I play a couple hours 3-4 times per week and league play is fun, but runs a little late in the evening. Our team is first place 9-ball, middle of the league in 8-ball. It's been an interesting and fun experience so far.

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
We got smoked by one of the worst teams in our division last night in both 8 and 9. I will say, however, that as a team we had more fun than we have had in a long time. Lots of laughter and tomfoolery. At the end of the day thats what its all about.

moneytalks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won 12 of 13 matches as a 6 last session without playing anyone under a 5. I thought that would move me up, but I'm still a 6. Last week I got beat 4-1 by a "new to APA 6". The match went 10 innings.

We are already qualified for our regional tournament, so we are looking to go back to Vegas for the 3rd year in a row if we can win it.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won 12 of 13 matches as a 6 last session without playing anyone under a 5. I thought that would move me up, but I'm still a 6. Last week I got beat 4-1 by a "new to APA 6". The match went 10 innings.

We are already qualified for our regional tournament, so we are looking to go back to Vegas for the 3rd year in a row if we can win it.

According to my LO, # of innings is the primary factor when moving up...

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played a SL4 (I'm a SL6) in 9 ball, won 45 to 12 (she needed 35). I then played 8 ball against a SL7, I'm a SL4.

So, you're a 6 in 9 ball and a 4 in 8 ball?
I think the guy has a point. I don't think you should be two handicaps difference.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I think the guy has a point. I don't think you should be two handicaps difference.

From what I can infer, he's been playing 9-ball for a while and just started playing 8-ball, so of course he'd be starting as SL4. Until the computer catches up with him, when enough matches are input.

Just a guess...

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
I'm not an advance player like many on this site. I'm 64 and just last year fell in love with the game, so I've been playing about 8-9 months. I wasn't going to join the local APA league but got talked into it. My goal was to win as many as I lose my first session, and so far I'm 7-5 in 8-ball and 9-ball so I'm doing OK but not great and my goal is obviously to get better. I play a couple hours 3-4 times per week and league play is fun, but runs a little late in the evening. Our team is first place 9-ball, middle of the league in 8-ball. It's been an interesting and fun experience so far.

Great to hear about you finding something fun to do. Keep practicing !

radnur22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've played pool off and on since college (35 years ago). I've had a pool table for the past 6 years, but not really played much. It's just been within the past 4 months I've been getting really into it, learning about the tangent line, throwing balls...etc. When I asked about joining the league and skill level, they said everyone starts out at a 4 unless they have played in a league before. I've never played in a league and only played in one tournament 30 some years ago and didn't fare well. I know I'm better than a 4, but there is no mechanism for someone like me to assigned a skill level. It would be nice if they tested a player by demonstrating draw, follow, cue ball position and pocketing balls, but they don't. It is what it is.

My SL in 8 ball was based on my first match. I played a SL 4 so it was a race to 3. I was leading 2-0 with 2-3 innings per game. The next game I tried a jump shot on the 8 ball and the cue ball jumped off the table, loss. The next game the 8 ball was locked in the corner pocket with 2 of her balls mm's away. I pretty much gave her the game by making one of my balls and stroking the cue ball to the corner pocket to make the 8 ball (on purpose). The next game I won readily, so up against a SL4 it looked like it was a close match. I played against a SL4 in 9 ball that night and beat them 31 to 12 or something like that. The following week, I won against a SL5 or SL6 in 9 ball 45 to 21 and didn't play a match in 8 ball. So, I've had more 9 ball games than 8 ball to score on and the 8 ball game should have been 3-0.

I would rather play my appropriate SL and win a match based on my ability rather than a handicap. The reason I started playing in leagues is to get exposure to actual game play against someone other than the ghost.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played pool off and on since college (35 years ago). I've had a pool table for the past 6 years, but not really played much. It's just been within the past 4 months I've been getting really into it, learning about the tangent line, throwing balls...etc. When I asked about joining the league and skill level, they said everyone starts out at a 4 unless they have played in a league before. I've never played in a league and only played in one tournament 30 some years ago and didn't fare well. I know I'm better than a 4, but there is no mechanism for someone like me to assigned a skill level. It would be nice if they tested a player by demonstrating draw, follow, cue ball position and pocketing balls, but they don't. It is what it is.

My SL in 8 ball was based on my first match. I played a SL 4 so it was a race to 3. I was leading 2-0 with 2-3 innings per game. The next game I tried a jump shot on the 8 ball and the cue ball jumped off the table, loss. The next game the 8 ball was locked in the corner pocket with 2 of her balls mm's away. I pretty much gave her the game by making one of my balls and stroking the cue ball to the corner pocket to make the 8 ball (on purpose). The next game I won readily, so up against a SL4 it looked like it was a close match. I played against a SL4 in 9 ball that night and beat them 31 to 12 or something like that. The following week, I won against a SL5 or SL6 in 9 ball 45 to 21 and didn't play a match in 8 ball. So, I've had more 9 ball games than 8 ball to score on and the 8 ball game should have been 3-0.

I would rather play my appropriate SL and win a match based on my ability rather than a handicap. The reason I started playing in leagues is to get exposure to actual game play against someone other than the ghost.

I dont worry about new players handicaps because I feel the handicapping system works as long as scoresheets are filled out correctly.

They may be very underrated when they play their first few matches and may even cost your team a loss that should not have happened if they were handicapped at their true speed but that match or 2 should not cost your team dearly by the time the end of the session arrives.

In my first match ever in apa the opposing captain called the league operator complaining about me even though we were only halfway through the match lol. Some people just take a night out playing pool during regular session way too seriously. Playoffs or higher I understand and am that way myself.

We are having the same issues with usapl right now as I is a brand new league. Players that also play other leagues such as apa are pretty accurately given starting Fargo rates but some new players are way off when they start.

I faced a guy last session ...the first session of usapl ... And he was new to leagues and for whatever reason was given a 325 starter rating. I knew halfway through the first rack that this guy may be new to leagues but he was not new to pool. I lost ....dont remember the score.. Anyway I wind up facing him this next session and he was rated right up there with me. I was a 511 and he was a 509.

I did not go whining to the lo because this guy was obviously underrated. I knew the handicapping system would put him where he belonged. Like I said.....some people take this game way too serious. Dont take me wrong....i dont like losing but it aint the end of the world when I do lose like I have seen some people react.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Long enough post above.......now about last night...

I played a 6 in 8 ball and lost hill - hill . 3-5 in a 4-5 race. This guy was in fire fellas. I played several ...what I thought was pretty good safes and he made some efren like shots getting out of them.

They threw a 4 on me in 9 ball and I won 38-16 in a 38-31 race. oh yea....i was called a sandbagger.....but he was smiling when he said it lol.

Last night was the first time in forever I had some drama pop up . I had a fairly new player....new to our area and my team playing 9 ball as I was playing 8 ball. A lil over halfway through my match his was over and I heard him Sa he was outa hear and visibly upset. I asked one of my players ...wth is going on ? She said he won the match and went to shake his opponents hand and she called him a cheater.

I could not get to the bottom of it at the moment as I had to continue my match. After league was over I text him to find out what happened. He said that during the match his opponent said he made a bad hit. He told her that he did not but that if she really believed he did to go ahead and take bih. She told him to keep shooting and sat back down. After he won he went to shake her hand and she refused saying she did not shake hands with cheaters.

Well apparently he got pretty offended by it and he said he was on the verge on cussing the ***** out and thought it best if he left before it got real heated.

I guess every one has their own way of handling situations as this but....if it had been me I woulda just laughed at her and called her a sore loser.

One thing worth mentioning . This same player was playing 8 ball later again one of my players and made an obvious bad hit and did not call it on herself. My player did not see it and I did not say anything and let the player continue shooting. Had I known at the time that she accused my player that left of making a bad hit and called him a cheater I would have called a foul on her. I know call goes to the shooter but I would have made it real plain to her that anytime she was shooting anywhere close to one ofy players balls I would stop her and call for an observer.

I go out to have fun and shoot pool and expect the same from my players.....bit if opponents want to get nasty and dont mind wallowing in the mud right along with them and have been known to get pretty nasty right back at them. ...within rules of course . :D

Perfect example. One match both players were just calling pocket in 8 ball. It got hill-hill and my player called the pocket and pocketed the 8. His opponent refused to shake his hand and said my player Los because he did not mark the pocket. I went off like a rocket and told the other team captain it was a bs move . He said rules are rules. I said I know the damn rule but its a bs call. I reneged and gave them the match but had a plan to pay them back twofold.

Going into the last match they requested a replay in 9 ball and was going to need one in 8 ball also because they only had 4 players there. That is what I was hoping for when I gave in on the bs call earlier..

I told them I was not giving them a replay a d they were going to have to forfeit both the last 8 and 9 ball. Well fellas you never heard grown men whine and complain like they did. Even called the lo to no avail. I have always given replays and pretty much every one else does all.the time also.. They even went and got the division rep across the room to come over. She said it was not like me to so such a thing. I told her the screwed me so I come back double time on them. She tried again to talk me into letting them replay because I have never been that type of guy. I told her she was wasting her breath because I was through being mr. Nice guy when they tried to screw my team on a bs call when neither player had marked a pocket for 9 damn racks. Karma fellas.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last night was my worst night of the season! Needed to tell someone. Thanks for listening.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night was my worst night of the season! Needed to tell someone. Thanks for listening.

Feel your pain, brotha! Strange thing is, I played awesome for 6 or 7 balls. Played great position, made all the shots I was supposed to, but dadgummit, I dogged two easy 8 ball shots!

So I'm not sure if I should be happy about the way I played up until the 8, or pissed that I missed two shots and lost the match....screw it....I'm pissed!

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I dont worry about new players handicaps because I feel the handicapping system works as long as scoresheets are filled out correctly.

Many times they are not...but the rest of your post is spot on. The team we played last night had 3 defensive shots marked on their scoresheet while mine had close to 20. This is the area where the most blatant inaccuracies occur.

Maniac (did not shoot last night)

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Team lost bad Monday night (8 ball) .. didn't play other than before and after matches. Still having trouble getting used to one new eye.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

I guess I won't tell you about my night then, I wouldn't want to sound like a copy cat.

Freddie <~~~ worst night in a few years

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's cool and you can't help what they rate you as long as you're playing to your potential. I know my old LO once told me we couldn't be more than 1 handicap difference between the two but he could have been full of poop too...lol

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been up and down lately but thankfully. more up than down.
I think I have finally settled around a 550 FargoRate which is about where I figured I would.
I play in house on Monday's, both 8 and 10 ball, which is a really cool format. It's USAPL. Last Monday was a good night as I won both.
8 ball I came out strong and had two break and runs and won easily.
10 ball I played a 460 who is a good shot and must have shit safed me at least 4 or 5 times and was up pretty big early. I beared down and won the next 4 racks to take the match. Those are the matches that are most satisfying sometimes because you feel you stole the win by not giving up.