Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Light Cues- Why not more common?
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
johnnysd
AzB Silver Member
johnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-15-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $TAKE HOR$E View Post
Thats about as perfect a player as you could get, weight wise, specs and wood. When I have a cue made, which is very rare anymore, I always ask for the shafts to be in the 3.5 - 3.7 max range. If it takes longer then so be it. There are two types of cues, the ones that play good and the ones that sell good. The 4 ounce 13mm shaft cues are selling points. Ask any good player, some may not even realize theyre playing with a mid 3 ounce shaft tho, what they prefer and maybe 1 out of all of them will say they prefer a 4 ounce or heavier shaft thats 13 mm. The best playing cue I have found, which I have 6 more coming very soon, is all maple. The entire butt is one piece of straight grain maple. Its radial laminated but there are no screws, bolts, buzz rings, dowles or anything else that doesnt need to be in there. Not saying those things are wrong when building a cue, just that they for sure dont need to be there.

Thats a sweet cue you have btw...
I am a big fan of the radially laminated cues. I am having one built for my friends son as a graduation gift. It will be a 62" cue and I think will be a great first cue for him. Thanks on the cue, it is just awesome.

Old
  (#17)
misterpoole
AzB Silver Member
misterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond repute

08-15-2019, 07:34 PM

Balance point is very important as well. A forward balanced cue can feel lighter than it actually is. You can get the best of both worlds.

Old
  (#18)
Cuebuddy
Vege-table
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-15-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post
I have a lot of cedar heartwood. Last time I looked it wasn't cracking bad. Down here the most common cedar cracks terribly. I don't know what variety this is, it was all in a straight line down a driveway so obviously planted. I can send you fifteen-twenty pounds when I get around to cutting it up. Might have some mystery wood in the bin too, never know! Oh yeah, I have some over hundred year old wood that would probably make awesome minicues, light and dark.

Lemme know!

Hu
I promised you a ďcatch up emailĒ and I intend to soon. On my way across country delivering my last kid to Cornell. Four for four on that school!

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Here Is What Iíve Learned Over Many Decades Of Playing Pool.
Old
  (#19)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

Here Is What Iíve Learned Over Many Decades Of Playing Pool. - 08-15-2019, 07:41 PM

Lots of folks know me as being very meticulous about the weight of my pool cues.
Iíve passed up some great cues that were heavier than my preferred weight range.

All of my flat ivory joint cues have cue butts that weigh between 14.4 to 14.6 ounces.
The screw is either radial pin (TS cue) or else 3/8 x10 & 3/8x12 threads (other 5 cues).
The shafts weigh between 3.8 ounces to 4. 2 ounces. The tips are Kamui Clear Black (S).

My heaviest cue is the EP cue that plays at 18.8 ozs (14.6 & 4.2) whereas the others are
a little lighter. And moving the cue ball requires only ordinary effort but the tactile feel of the
flat ivory joint is retained. A key consideration is the weight proportionality of the shaft & butt
When you enjoy a cue weight ratio that is 20% (shaft) & 80% (butt), you have the best combination.
Donít go lower than 19% or higher than 23% and IME, 21-22% (shafts) tend to be the sweet spot.

Now before you go off telling me about what other considerations there are, I know all of that & have
keen understanding of pool cue anatomy after having several custom cues built. In general, look at
cues built by Gus, George, Barry, Paul, Joel, Ernie, Ed, Bob or gosh, look at any of the great cue-makers.

Anyway, thatís my 2 cents on the topic and anyone that has tried my cues pretty much walks away
mumbling about how well balanced and solid the cue feels to their stroke, especially w/ follow or stun.
If you havenít thought about this, next time you find a cue that feels unusually good, check the wt. ratio.

Matt B.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (9-6-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon '85 Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#20)
AzB Silver Member
Cron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond reputeCron has a reputation beyond repute

08-15-2019, 08:26 PM

To boot, carbon fiber butts? I've now found 3 manufacturers that will make carbon fiber butts, cheapest place, $2,000 (for a prototype).

My Schmelke is 57" @ 14oz. I currently have it @17oz weighted like a house cue (hoping to get to 16.5oz in a few months). If I decide to put a 6" CF extension on it, it will be 63" at 16oz.

The quick way for me to adjust to lighter weights is to play masse only. Doesn't cure all the inaccuracies that have to be worked out with the new finer control, but it kills the feeling of being lighter surprisingly quick.

Nobody is selling carbon fiber butts..... yet (I want to try 70" at 15oz before I die, but for a 2k investment, I'll have to wait).

Old
  (#21)
pinkspider
Crap user name, I know.
pinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond repute

08-16-2019, 12:49 AM

I used to use a 18.25oz EP with a 4.1oz shaft but it also works nicely with lighter shafts. theres no lack of power and a lot of people could not believe that it was that light. These days i favour the heavier cue because my stroke has become more compact and my style has changed significantly but i do believe that the weight is just a number. other factors like weight distribution and flex (stiffness) etc are more important..

Old
  (#22)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

08-16-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
I recently got my new Tascarella.

It was customized by Pete Sr. to be very light using a combo of straight maple and Brazilian Rosewood.

The butt weighs 14.1 ounces and each shaft is 3.7oz for a total of 17.8. Shafts are 12.5mm.

It is just wonderful.

To me it seems that lighter cues have a lot of advantages, yet mostly you see cues that are 19.2 to 19.5 oz. I don't get it.

To me:

- A light cue has much more finesse. Much easier to do subtle little draws and follows

- It seems to get through the ball faster, allowing for more English especially on shorter shots than longer shots

- You can hit longer shots softer, especially on stop shots.

- They still have plenty of power because you can easily get a faster stroke with a lighter cue.

- Lighter cues are also easier to hold on to softly, reducing hand and arm tension..

- In the Tasc case, despite having a 1" ferrule, I think the combination of a light cue and 12.5mm shafts makes the cue surprisingly low in deflection -not a Z3 or Revo, but not very much deflection at all

Yet very few people us them. Almost all cues are 19-20oz, with the vast majority being 19-19.3, so that's what people want.

Pete said that after playing with my cue, he wanted to try a really light cue for himself.

Just curious why more people don't try light cues more often.
NEVER have liked light cues. My stroke is much smoother, less jerkier with a 19-20oz cue. I tried an 18oz once and only used it about 4-5times before selling.

Old
  (#23)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member
Ssonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond repute

08-16-2019, 06:21 AM

70's/80's when i could sort of shoot a little on barboxes, always looked for the lightest 56 -57" cue off the wall.

People started giving me cues, so i tried a range of (no name) customs, decided i did not like steel collar joints. Did like flat face wood - wood.

When i got back playing again 30 yrs later it was more on big tables, and decided i needed a 60" cue at 17.5. Made myself a cocobola and straight grain maple LD (drilled shaft) @59.5" & 17.8oz. & use that the past 3 - 4 yrs. Seems ideal to me, but i think a person should mix up the cue they shoot with from time to time. See what you go back to. Have some ideas for other sticks to try, as soon as i can stop working for a living even though i'm well past retirement and on SS.

Quote:
I promised you a “catch up email” and I intend to soon. On my way across country delivering my last kid to Cornell. Four for four on that school!
Good school! - as you not doubt know, they have a half dozen 9' Brunswicks in their Billiards room, and several club teams. IC has another 6 ea, 9 footers in their student union. There's APA and NAPA leagues that play around town and at IC. I used to practice at Cornell, but IC is cheaper (free).

smt

Old
  (#24)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

08-16-2019, 08:08 AM

i prefer cues 19.5 and up

plenty of players,great filipino players use cues over 21 oz from time to time

light cues are a modern favorite of more people today,but even that seems to be chaging

i played with a 24 oz and played my best

my experience is that one pocket players prefer heavier cues as well

Old
  (#25)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

08-16-2019, 08:45 AM

I shoot for around 19 oz in my players, and since I like to switch it up most of the guest/house cues I have in the home room are that weight as well. I haven't been inside all of them but I think most have at least 1 oz weight in them that could come out if I simply wanted them lighter...but I don't.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: