United Billiard League
Old
  (#1)
UBL.NYC
AzB Bronze Member
UBL.NYC is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

United Billiard League - 09-19-2019, 05:51 AM

I was hoping to get some constructive feedback and thoughts on the Ball-in-Hand handicap system introduced in the United Billiard League. I was asked by Peter Margo to build divisions and leagues for the UBL in the New York Metro area. I'm receiving great response from lower ranked players ( 2's, 3's and 4's and D's and C's) and really hard, and sometimes harsh, push back from higher ranked players. And oddly enough, no complaints at all from local pros.
Considering that the United Billiard League is paying out over $37,000 per session and over $250,000 in the finals as prize money, I am a little confused by some reactions that I've received.

I have my own thoughts, but I wanted to hear from the many sound voices here.

Thanks
Gerard

Old
  (#2)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 06:30 AM

So, if a 7 is playing a 3, the 3 would get bih 4 times for every game of the match. I'm assuming there is a similar race like in APA?

Oh, is there coaching allowed?

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

This is the 3rd time
Old
  (#3)
ipoppa33
Shakedown Custom Rods
ipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the 3rd time - 09-19-2019, 06:48 AM

How many times are you going to post the same question?
9/15- https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=499594
9/14- https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=499523

Playing Cue: Ray Weeks Slowhand Cues
J/B: Ray Weeks Slowhand Cues
Other cues: Some of old Palmers, Scruggs, Sugartree, Onley

Old
  (#4)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-19-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoppa33 View Post

Well....since the OP really wants to know THAT badly:

IMHO, I think the BIH rules are simply "dumbing-down" the game of pool. You're going to breed a whole generation of players that will never learn cue ball control nor invest the time it takes to learn it.

I say games "on-the-wire" is the way to go once you learn how to TRULY handicap a player (good luck with that). At least a player getting free games will eventually have to learn cue ball control if that person wants to better his/her chances of winning.

He wanted opinions so there's mine.

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#5)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
09-19-2019, 07:35 AM

And chicken kebab with garlic sauce and a red hot sauce (Tabasco, crystal, Tejas pedro...). So good.

Getting hooong-ry!
Attached Images

Old
  (#6)
mikepage
AzB Gold Member
mikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBL.NYC View Post
I was hoping to get some constructive feedback and thoughts on the Ball-in-Hand handicap system introduced in the United Billiard League. I was asked by Peter Margo to build divisions and leagues for the UBL in the New York Metro area. I'm receiving great response from lower ranked players ( 2's, 3's and 4's and D's and C's) and really hard, and sometimes harsh, push back from higher ranked players. And oddly enough, no complaints at all from local pros.
Considering that the United Billiard League is paying out over $37,000 per session and over $250,000 in the finals as prize money, I am a little confused by some reactions that I've received.

Thanks
Gerard
Two different issues here

(1). Is the multiple ball-in-hand thing a good idea?

For a company-party pool tournament that is unlucky enough to have a few pool players in the mix, maybe. As a core structural thing for a league?, no.

--games are useless for FargoRate
--game-specific strategy will dominate in time
--highly manipulable

(2). Advertising/promoting a league by some large singularity-like payout?

There are a few things going on right now involving pool players and money and enthusiastic supporters that make me feel like I need a shower. This is one of them.

mike page
http://www.fargorate.com
player ratings for the world

Old
  (#7)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
And chicken kebab with garlic sauce and a red hot sauce (Tabasco, crystal, Tejas pedro...). So good.

Getting hooong-ry!
Daaamn that meal looks like it doesnít suck at all.

Thereís a place called Mama Luciaís around here. They make this Chicken Cacciatore with penne pasta..Er Ma Gurd itís so delicious, Iíve got some left over in my fridge right now

Old
  (#8)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff87 View Post
Daaamn that meal looks like it doesnít suck at all.

Thereís a place called Mama Luciaís around here. They make this Chicken Cacciatore with penne pasta..Er Ma Gurd itís so delicious, Iíve got some left over in my fridge right now
It is SO good.

Close to $15 though. Unless it is carbon fiber, I am cheap, so I am restricted to 1 kebab visit per week...sadly.

Old
  (#9)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-19-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post

Getting hooong-ry!
Hey, this isn't Facebook.

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#10)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBL.NYC View Post

Thanks
Gerard
Oddly enough? Really? Of course bangers are going to love giving them the illusion of being good, of course the low A to shortstop is going to complain because as good as they maybe they can't consistently run out. "Well the pros don't mind"...well no S! First of all "pros" have to be professional. So if you walk up to one and ask them about your new league they aren't going to say,"You know, I'm not really feeling this multiple ball in hand thing." They will humor you. Secondly, they don't give a crap about a BIH handicap because they are good enough for it not to matter.

Last edited by DecentShot; 09-19-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Old
  (#11)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies

09-19-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
Hey, this isn't Facebook.

Maniac
I give the post to which I reply a 1 star yelper.

Old
  (#12)
TonyFL
AzB Bronze Member
TonyFL is on a distinguished road

09-19-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRJ View Post
So, if a 7 is playing a 3, the 3 would get bih 4 times for every game of the match. I'm assuming there is a similar race like in APA?

Oh, is there coaching allowed?
No, it's not an either / or system. If a player is ranked a "2" they would get two BIH per rack. Likewise, if their opponent is rated a "4" they would get 4 BIH per rack. Both players would be able to utilize the number of BIH per rack that they are ranked at.

I do believe that (limited) coaching is allowed and a handicap BIH is not allowed on the 8-Ball.

Old
  (#13)
Z-Nole
AzB Silver Member
Z-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFL View Post
No, it's not an either / or system. If a player is ranked a "2" they would get two BIH per rack. Likewise, if their opponent is rated a "4" they would get 4 BIH per rack. Both players would be able to utilize the number of BIH per rack that they are ranked at.

I do believe that (limited) coaching is allowed and a handicap BIH is not allowed on the 8-Ball.
So the higher your ranking number the more you suck? How will they handle players sand bagging or getting better as the season goes along? Oh wait, scratch that. Donít bother answering, I donít really give a shit.

Old
  (#14)
CGM
One Ball Runner
CGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 12:43 PM

Should I buy a cuetec or Valhalla?

I do a hell of a job working around the holes.
Trust me aimings not your problem

Old
  (#15)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFL View Post

Never said either or, but if you are rated you get bih every single game for the entire match.

Too bad the guy who started the thread won't come back and answer any questions ??

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: