Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Break cue stuff, again.
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
strmanglr scott
AzB Silver Member
strmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-13-2019, 08:11 AM

Never heard a break cue should weigh less than your player.

I have a Rage break cue, weighs 25oz. Breaks phenominal. I just pulled it up on Ozone, 30, 5 star ratings and no other ratings.

It has a weight bolt. I pulled it and played with it at the lighter weight but eventually went back to the weight bolt in.

The rail is your best friend.

Old
  (#17)
S.Vaskovskyi
AzB Silver Member
S.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
To be honest, you shouldn't worry about a new cue.

I'm not perfect either but, it sounds like you need to work on your stance, grip and bridge hand etc...etc.....everything that leads to a straight stroke.

After you get ^^^^^^^^^ in check as best you can, evaluate your break again. You may find you don't need a new break cue.

Jeff
^^^^^that is the best advise you can get. So the work on your technique first. Yes, some equipment allows you to hit using slightly less power to get a nice spread which leads to a better accuracy. But still you need a good stroke to be consistenly successful on the break. Good luck)

Playing cue: 62" full spliced player I''ve built for myself
Break cue: made by myself

"Live and learn...and have fun"

Old
  (#18)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 08:54 AM

I would say that an equipment change is the last thing someone should look for when trying to improve some part of their game- I am Not saying that an equipment change should be out of the question. However, I think for the "break" aspect of rotation games or 8 ball- the primary considerations are to pocket at least ONE object ball AND, equally important- keep that cue ball as close to the table center as possible- to give maximum ability to STAY on the table or play the best safe possible with ANY ball on the table.
Making one ball on the break and staying center table with the cue have little to do with breaking equipment in my opinion. I advise finding the right mix of stroke, speed, aiming, and body coordination including your TIMING of cue delivery to the cue ball with the CORRECT body parts in sync and RELAXED - work on all that stuff first- if you are still unhappy- try a new break equipment set up.

I know people who break way better than me and they just use a house cue- their timing and technique is just beyond my present capabilities- some of it is just natural for them- I can improve mine and learn by watching how they do it- but I am not them! A new break cue would not help me.

Old
  (#19)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemosconi View Post
. I advise finding the right mix of stroke, speed, aiming, and body coordination including your TIMING of cue delivery to the cue ball with the CORRECT body parts in sync
I agree with that big time and feel thats why my breaking is better than ever
Timing speed aiming and body coordination

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#20)
poolguy4u
AzB Silver Member
poolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 10:18 AM

Wood is pretty much dead.

Just got 14mm carbon fiber in and maybe in a week or so I'll whip something up.

Carbon fiber is great and cheap. Heck, I see people selling carbon fiber blanks for only

$75 now which means they pay around $25. Probably cost around $20 to finish one off.

Old
  (#21)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
11-13-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
To be honest, you shouldn't worry about a new cue.

I'm not perfect either but, it sounds like you need to work on your stance, grip and bridge hand etc...etc.....everything that leads to a straight stroke.

After you get ^^^^^^^^^ in check as best you can, evaluate your break again. You may find you don't need a new break cue.

Jeff

Perhaps AK would be better served breaking wit playing cue, given his break speed and the increased control on offer?

Old
  (#22)
KCRack'em
I'm not argumentative!!!!
KCRack'em has a reputation beyond reputeKCRack'em has a reputation beyond reputeKCRack'em has a reputation beyond reputeKCRack'em has a reputation beyond reputeKCRack'em has a reputation beyond reputeKCRack'em has a reputation beyond reputeKCRack'em has a reputation beyond reputeKCRack'em has a reputation beyond reputeKCRack'em has a reputation beyond reputeKCRack'em has a reputation beyond reputeKCRack'em has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 10:44 AM

I love my dymondwood jump/break by Alex Brick. It breaks and jumps fabulously. However, I am going to try carbon fiber. Gotta scratch that itch!

Editor and photog by day (for my rodeo photography, see Buckaroo Photography on FB) and pool junkie by night.

Table: Wendt Company 4.5x9 Kling copy
Cues: too many!
Player: McWorter or Barnhart or EDC
Break/jump: Brick
Jump: Tony Layne
Cases: JBs: 2x5, 4x8-plus, 8x16 and Murnak 3x6

Grammar Lock

Old
  (#23)
Ghosst
Broom Handle Mafia
Ghosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 825

11-13-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
Never heard a break cue should weigh less than your player.
Breaker is 18 oz
Player is 21 oz

Run racks, not your mouth.

Old
  (#24)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

11-13-2019, 11:43 AM

I don't find purpleheart shafts as better for breaking.

I think a 13.5mm stiff maple makes for great breaking shafts.
Don't go with a break jump.
Just get a dedicated breaker. Heavy up front and light handle.
Makes snapping a little easier.

Old
  (#25)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkGuy View Post
What is the best wood for a break cue shaft, maple, purple heart, etc.?

How about the joint? Is the Uni Loc a good choice or another all metal joint?

Seems like every one has their preference's on weight and tip diameter.
Hard tip, light weight, and stroke speed. Put these things together with any wood type and you have a good jump cue. I once made a video using a 3/8" poplar dowel rod from Lowe's with no tip to jump balls from half inch to 5 or 6 inches away.

For short quick hops, when the obstructing ball is anywhere from about half an inch to 7 or 8 inches from the cb, and the ball or target you are jumping to hit is less than 2 feet away, then a very light jump cue works best, anywhere between about 3 to 6 oz. The cb hops up at a steep angle to clear the obstruction but has little forward momentum when it lands, so if the target is more than about 2 feet out the cb might not have enough speed to send the ob to a rail after contact.

If the obstructing ball is a more than 7 or 8 inches away from the cb, then a standard jump cue weighing around 8 to 9 oz can be used easily. This is the weight range of most jump cues. The jump portion of most jump-break cues tends to be too heavy (9oz or more) for a good short range jump cue. They work great as long as the cb isn't too close to the obstructing ball. When the cb is very close to the obstruction, a dedicated light jump cue works much better.

None of this means that one wood grain might or might not be a fraction better for jumping due to better energy transfer, but I think it's such a fine line that weight and speed trumps any wood type.

POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist

Last edited by BC21; 11-13-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Old
  (#26)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRack'em View Post
I love my dymondwood jump/break by Alex Brick. It breaks and jumps fabulously. However, I am going to try carbon fiber. Gotta scratch that itch!
Yeah, you should sell that Brick cue to help finance the new cue. I mean, I'll take it off your hands only because it's just about worthless now and I want to help lol

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Breaking
Old
  (#27)
AkGuy
AzB Silver Member
AkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond repute

Unhappy Breaking - 11-13-2019, 02:36 PM

I have the Predator Break App on my phone, it shows I rarely hit 20 mph. Usually in the 18 mph range.

Old
  (#28)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I have the Predator Break App on my phone, it shows I rarely hit 20 mph. Usually in the 18 mph range.
So??? Hitting it flush(cue ball and headball) is way more important than speed.

Old
  (#29)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanB View Post
Just don't get caught up in the hype of thinking you must have a $700 BK Rush to have a good break. Something like a purple heart or diamond wood shaft combined with a white diamond tip will perform as good as most people need
Nobody needs any certain type wood, to break well.

All they need is a stroke that is:

Accurate

&

fast

The CF stuff adds a little energy but, like you said, "it's not needed"....not in the least.

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#30)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter how fast your cb is moving if your not hitting head ball pretty square..your not gonna do well.

Back off the speed speed a tad. Learn to hit cb and head ball first.

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: