Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page List of Living 200+ Runners
Page 6 of 26 « First 456 7816 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#76)
JoeyA
Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
JoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300

06-12-2010, 06:31 AM

I have run over two hundred balls playing straight pool. Oh, you mean two hundred without missing. j/k

Actually, I know you guys are serious about promoting straight pool. After you have compiled the list you could consider putting an attractive border around the the names and then mount the list in an inexpensive picture frame that pool room owners would purchase and hang in their respective pool rooms. Just a thought..

"I would rather not deal with such questions, because it's like shearing a piglet—a lot of squealing and little wool."

Old
  (#77)
Steve Lipsky
On quest for perfect 14.1
Steve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-12-2010, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the idea, Joey. I just might do something like that. At first I thought it wouldn't work, since this is a list of the living (and, well, that has a funny way of changing), but as long as I include an "as of" date it should be OK.

For something like that, I'll definitely need some more information on each player (approximate date of run, circumstances, location, etc). Once I get the names down, doing the research should be easier, I suspect.

Whatever I make, you've got some jelly coming...

Thanks,
Steve

Old
  (#78)
Mr441
AzB Silver Member
Mr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2010, 07:23 AM

A few names I can think of are Karl Boyes, Darren Appleton and Charlie Bryant.

Old
  (#79)
Steve Lipsky
Steve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Lipsky has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2010, 07:33 AM

Hi 441,

Can you be more specific? These are people you are sure have run over 200 (if so, how?), or are you just saying that they should go on the "possibles" list?

Thanks,
Steve

Old
  (#80)
Mr441
AzB Silver Member
Mr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lipsky View Post
Hi 441,

Can you be more specific? These are people you are sure have run over 200 (if so, how?), or are you just saying that they should go on the "possibles" list?

Thanks,
Steve
Sorry Steve, I wasn't specific. I think they are possibles. Boyes and Appleton certainly play well enough to have run 200+ but I really don't know their high runs. As for Bryant, a friend of mine witnessed him running 180+ in practice and he said it looked fairly effortless, but again I don't really know his actual high run.

Old
  (#81)
Steve Lipsky

06-12-2010, 07:44 AM

OK, thanks, I am adding them all to the possibles...

Old
  (#82)
huckster
AzB Silver Member
huckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Huckster. I know Rico Diks is still with us, but what about Greg and Jack?

Also, can you give me just a little info on these players' runs, or more specifically, why you are confident that they definitely ran the 200? Did they tell you themselves?

I believe Pat Howie is no longer with us, and what a tremendous loss that is.

I have never heard of Bernie Schwartz... anyone else know anything?

Thanks,
Steve

Jack Hynes Circa 1994 ran 212 (may have been 215) in Akron Ohio I was present during the run he was trying to run 300 and on the second day popped off the 212 I'll never forget how it ended he got super straight on a ball after his next ball he was going to shoot rolled funny into the stack he loaded up force followed the OB cheating the pocket clipping the stack but the OB came back out of the pocket he was so irate that he took the object ball put it in his pocket and said he was going to throw it in the river.

Greg Fix circa 1992 was in a poolroom in PA and was told he ran 200 in there that day (second hand knowledge)

Bernie "The Hawk" Schwartz one of the best 9balls during the 70s (played as well as guys like Richie Florence,Pittsburgh Bill I,Hippy Jimmie, and It would not be a stretch to imagine that he was a 200 ball runner since he hailed from the New York area in the 60s 70s and he never missed.

Old
  (#83)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

06-12-2010, 06:06 PM

THE 2009 EUROPEAN POOL CHAMPIONSHIPS

14.1 Pool

Men

1st Dimitri Jungo
Switzerland

2nd Niels Feijen
Netherlands

3rd Oliver Ortmann
Germany

3rd Andreas Roschkowsky
Germany

Anyone who beats out these guys to win the 2009 European 14.1 championships is a suspect for 200+. I would add Dimitri Jungo.

Last edited by sjm; 06-12-2010 at 07:34 PM.

Old
  (#84)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

06-12-2010, 07:45 PM

Steve, assuming we are thinking of the same player, whose nickname was always "Stevie Wonder," his name is Steve Dobrowolski. not Steve Dobrowski.

He is number 16 on the current list of 200 ball runners.

Old
  (#85)
Steve Lipsky

06-12-2010, 08:06 PM

Thanks Stu. I've never met him, or even seen him, so I appreciate the info.

I've confirmed with Stevie Moore that he has not yet run 200, so he's coming off the Possibles.

- Steve

Old
  (#86)
Steve Lipsky

06-12-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Jack Hynes Circa 1994 ran 212 (may have been 215) in Akron Ohio I was present during the run he was trying to run 300 and on the second day popped off the 212 I'll never forget how it ended he got super straight on a ball after his next ball he was going to shoot rolled funny into the stack he loaded up force followed the OB cheating the pocket clipping the stack but the OB came back out of the pocket he was so irate that he took the object ball put it in his pocket and said he was going to throw it in the river.

Greg Fix circa 1992 was in a poolroom in PA and was told he ran 200 in there that day (second hand knowledge)

Bernie "The Hawk" Schwartz one of the best 9balls during the 70s (played as well as guys like Richie Florence,Pittsburgh Bill I,Hippy Jimmie, and It would not be a stretch to imagine that he was a 200 ball runner since he hailed from the New York area in the 60s 70s and he never missed.
Huckster,

Thanks for the funny story. Are Jack Hynes and Greg Fix still with us?

Btw, "Hippy Jimmie" - is that Jim Gottier?

- Steve

Old
  (#87)
richiebalto
AzB Silver Member
richiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2010, 08:38 PM

how about cigar tom vanover

Old
  (#88)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the idea, Joey. I just might do something like that. At first I thought it wouldn't work, since this is a list of the living (and, well, that has a funny way of changing), but as long as I include an "as of" date it should be OK.

For something like that, I'll definitely need some more information on each player (approximate date of run, circumstances, location, etc). Once I get the names down, doing the research should be easier, I suspect.

Whatever I make, you've got some jelly coming...

Thanks,
Steve
Steve -- JoeyA's idea and your positive reaction to it have made me wonder whether, for the purpose Joey mentioned, it might be nicer to have a list of everyone who has ever run 200, not just the living.

Straight pool is only 100 years old. The number of people who ran 200 or more in 14.1's early years is probably very small. Expanding your list to every player known to have accomplished the feat might not lengthen it out of reason. Obviously, some who did it long ago might not be known. And verification of the accomplishments of the dead might be difficult in some cases.

But your idea of an "as of" date on a list of the living hanging in pool halls leaves me kind of uneasy. Someone who accomplished the feat in 1950 but is still living would be on the list, but someone who did it within the last few years but also died recently would not be on the list. Supposed you "published" such a list in 2010. It might be unreasonable to expect such a list to be updated and re-published every year. Suppose you planned to update it every five years. Then someone who ran over 200 for the first time in 2012 but died in 2014 would never have his name on any of the lists going forward.

Many pool halls like to hang historical pictures or documents. I'd think a list of everyone known to have run 200 would be of more interest than a list of just living players who have run 200. It would add many well known names from the past, possibly adding luster-by-association to some of the lesser-known names from the present.

Old
  (#89)
dmgwalsh
Straight Pool Fanatic
dmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1400

06-13-2010, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
George Pawelski of Racine has run over 200 7 times with a high of 269. I don't know about documentation but George told me this personally in answer to my question and I see no reason to doubt his word.

Dave Nelson
Dave: I met George yesterday. He came down to the Illinois Billiards Club with three guys and a girl. He is a very good guy. He was chatting about Johnny Ervolino and all the great players out east. He said all the good straight pool players came from out east... or the midwest because of Rockford, Illinois and Joe Diehl, Charlie Caccipaglia and those guys who taught a lot of players including Dallas West. I told him his name had just come up on the internet re 200 ball runners and he said "that was a long time ago". He said if I'm ever in Racine, he'd like to play some with me. Very nice guy. Unlike that other Racine instructor we both know.

Old
  (#90)
Steve Lipsky

06-13-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
Steve -- JoeyA's idea and your positive reaction to it have made me wonder whether, for the purpose Joey mentioned, it might be nicer to have a list of everyone who has ever run 200, not just the living.

Straight pool is only 100 years old. The number of people who ran 200 or more in 14.1's early years is probably very small. Expanding your list to every player known to have accomplished the feat might not lengthen it out of reason. Obviously, some who did it long ago might not be known. And verification of the accomplishments of the dead might be difficult in some cases.

But your idea of an "as of" date on a list of the living hanging in pool halls leaves me kind of uneasy. Someone who accomplished the feat in 1950 but is still living would be on the list, but someone who did it within the last few years but also died recently would not be on the list. Supposed you "published" such a list in 2010. It might be unreasonable to expect such a list to be updated and re-published every year. Suppose you planned to update it every five years. Then someone who ran over 200 for the first time in 2012 but died in 2014 would never have his name on any of the lists going forward.

Many pool halls like to hang historical pictures or documents. I'd think a list of everyone known to have run 200 would be of more interest than a list of just living players who have run 200. It would add many well known names from the past, possibly adding luster-by-association to some of the lesser-known names from the present.
I realize the imperfections of this system. In truth, if I ever finish the living list, I'll probably move on to the all-time and possibly market that one instead.

However, even just the living list is getting frustrating. It's bizarre to me that no one in the main forum can tell me what Keith's, Buddy's, Efren's, etc., high runs are. If I can't track down whether Buddy Hall has ever run 200, I have no idea how I would ever hope to track down whether, say, Louie Roberts' high run was over 200. (Perhaps a bad example, because maybe he was a super famous 14.1er; I'm really not sure.)

Anyway, your point is a good one and I'm sure I'll move in that direction once I finish the current list.

Thanks,
Steve

Page 6 of 26 « First 456 7816 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: