Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Anyone shoot with just one or two cues for many years?
View Poll Results: How often do you change cues?
Found one cue and stuck with it 28 38.89%
Change occasionally, but tend to stick with a cue for many years 31 43.06%
I like to change it up every year or two 9 12.50%
Hell, I've got more than one cue on order at the moment 4 5.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Anyone shoot with just one or two cues for many years?
Old
  (#1)
john coloccia
AzB Silver Member
john coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Anyone shoot with just one or two cues for many years? - 12-09-2016, 11:46 AM

Just curious about this. Here's my story. Back when I was a young teen...maybe 13 or so, my dad got me my first cue: A cheap piece of crap Cue Ball Kelly cue. I think we paid $50 or $75 for it, and that's probably overpriced. I've been using it as a practice cue on my new cue lathe.

About a year later, I was ready for a better cue. My dad got a McDermott D4 for himself, with a linen wrap, and I got a D19.

At some point, I picked up a Lucasi. At the time it was pretty cheap, and it was my bar cue. That's the only time I ever took it out.

Anyhow, I played with that D19 for almost 30 years. I just replaced it earlier this year, not because I didn't like it but simply because I wanted to retire it. It has sentimental value to me. To replace it, I bought a very odd McDermott from Kickin' Chicken. It's not really a production model, and has a strange (and confirmed) story behind it. Anyhow, it looks pretty similar to the D19, and really plays just like it. It's one of the last McD made with real half-spliced ebony points. That's my main cue, now.

So other than my first "starter" cue that got put way almost immediately, and the Lucasi that I used as my bar banger, I've basically played with one cue my entire life, which was retired and replaced with another cue which was as similar as I could possibly get.

Anyone else find a cue they like and just hang on to it forever, or do you like to flip every few months?

Last edited by john coloccia; 12-09-2016 at 11:50 AM.

Old
  (#2)
Masayoshi
Fusenshou no Masa
Masayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond repute

12-09-2016, 11:54 AM

I've been playing with my plain jane Tad for 8 years now. I think it's important to get "married" to your cue. It doesn't take 8 years, of course, but it is a pain to change, so I never bothered.

Old
  (#3)
nine_ball6970
585 speed drunk
nine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond repute

12-09-2016, 12:01 PM

I have played with the same Schon for 13 years. Been playing 15 years total. I doubt I will ever buy another playing cue. I like the way it looks and the way it hits.

Old
  (#4)
PoolBum
Abracadabra!

PoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1190

12-09-2016, 12:14 PM

I've played with my current Mottey for 10 years.

"He knew what those jubilant crowds did not know, but could have learned from books; that the plague bacillus never dies or disappears for good...and that perhaps the day would come when, for the bane and the enlightening of men, it would rouse up its rats again and send them forth to die in a happy city."

Old
  (#5)
be1163
AzB Silver Member
be1163 has a reputation beyond reputebe1163 has a reputation beyond reputebe1163 has a reputation beyond reputebe1163 has a reputation beyond reputebe1163 has a reputation beyond reputebe1163 has a reputation beyond reputebe1163 has a reputation beyond reputebe1163 has a reputation beyond reputebe1163 has a reputation beyond reputebe1163 has a reputation beyond reputebe1163 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

12-09-2016, 01:19 PM

Since having my Dishaw made in 2006, its been my only cue. Just recently I have been thinking about getting something different.

Cue: Dan Dishaw Custom 19.4 oz. (Red Palm, Ebony & White Stuff)
Break Cue: Cheap 17.5 oz. w/ Custom Shaft w/ White Diamond Tip
Case Talisman Tribal 3 x 5 Custom Black

Old
  (#6)
fastone371
AzB Silver Member
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-09-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john coloccia View Post
Just curious about this. Here's my story. Back when I was a young teen...maybe 13 or so, my dad got me my first cue: A cheap piece of crap Cue Ball Kelly cue. I think we paid $50 or $75 for it, and that's probably overpriced. I've been using it as a practice cue on my new cue lathe.

About a year later, I was ready for a better cue. My dad got a McDermott D4 for himself, with a linen wrap, and I got a D19.

At some point, I picked up a Lucasi. At the time it was pretty cheap, and it was my bar cue. That's the only time I ever took it out.

Anyhow, I played with that D19 for almost 30 years. I just replaced it earlier this year, not because I didn't like it but simply because I wanted to retire it. It has sentimental value to me. To replace it, I bought a very odd McDermott from Kickin' Chicken. It's not really a production model, and has a strange (and confirmed) story behind it. Anyhow, it looks pretty similar to the D19, and really plays just like it. It's one of the last McD made with real half-spliced ebony points. That's my main cue, now.

So other than my first "starter" cue that got put way almost immediately, and the Lucasi that I used as my bar banger, I've basically played with one cue my entire life, which was retired and replaced with another cue which was as similar as I could possibly get.

Anyone else find a cue they like and just hang on to it forever, or do you like to flip every few months?
Kinda funny that your main player is a D19. I like the old McDermotts and found a pretty beat up D19 for sale here. I had it refinished and a G-Core shaft made for it by McDermott and now t looks like new. It was not my intention for it to be an everyday player but it hits so nice I could not leave it sit. I also have a D11, no matter what shaft combinations I try it will not hit like my D19.

Old
  (#7)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 15960

12-09-2016, 01:28 PM

Just got a new cue as my main player. Last one I used for 6 years straight.

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Old
  (#8)
John Disque
Banned
John Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond repute

12-09-2016, 01:32 PM

I've been playing, and breaking-with, the same beat-up, Players SneakyPete, with an Elk Master tip, for more years than I care to count here.

I have purchased some of the most expensive cues on the market but they always get thrown-back-in and I return to this cue because I have confidence in it and it's like my right arm.

Last edited by John Disque; 12-09-2016 at 01:34 PM. Reason: I forgot to add the link to a $50.00 tip made in China for $.07.

Old
  (#9)
john coloccia
AzB Silver Member
john coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond repute

12-09-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastone371 View Post
Kinda funny that your main player is a D19. I like the old McDermotts and found a pretty beat up D19 for sale here. I had it refinished and a G-Core shaft made for it by McDermott and now t looks like new. It was not my intention for it to be an everyday player but it hits so nice I could not leave it sit. I also have a D11, no matter what shaft combinations I try it will not hit like my D19.
The D4 doesn't hit like the D19 either. There's something special about those old D19s that make them a little unique. I always assumed it was just the fluke combination of McD construction and the maple/ebony wood.

Old
  (#10)
ChicagoJoe
AzB Silver Member
ChicagoJoe has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoJoe has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoJoe has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoJoe has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoJoe has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoJoe has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoJoe has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoJoe has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoJoe has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoJoe has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoJoe has a reputation beyond repute

12-09-2016, 02:24 PM

Played with my southwest for about 10 years now. I have another cue and will have others in the future. My southwest, however, is mine. It has become an extension of me when I play. I don't see a reason to ever part with it.

Player: Ebony SW

Old
  (#11)
fastone371
AzB Silver Member
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-11-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john coloccia View Post
The D4 doesn't hit like the D19 either. There's something special about those old D19s that make them a little unique. I always assumed it was just the fluke combination of McD construction and the maple/ebony wood.
I was wondering if it had something to do with the Ebony/Maple combo too. Would like to try another but you don't see too many.

Old
  (#12)
Tramp Steamer
One Pocket enthusiast.
Tramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond repute

12-11-2016, 08:15 PM

Eleven years, for me.

Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. Purveyor of two fine quality cues, the Miracle, and the Wonder. Our motto says it all: "If it's a good cue, it's a Wonder." "If it's a straight cue, it's a Miracle."

I am a member in good standing in the Lock Society as: Tramp Lock.

Old
  (#13)
Rackemep
AzB Silver Member
Rackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond reputeRackemep has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

12-11-2016, 08:32 PM

When I was first starting out I went through a whole bunch of lower end starter cues...after a while of buying/selling/trading cues I got a used schon stl1. I played with that cue for a couple of years and then traded it along with $100 for a used stl7. Had that cue for a couple years as well then bought a stl15 new in 2007. In 2008 I ran into a guy that was selling some nice customs in Albany NY...I test hit a Greg Kucharski cue he had for sale and had to have it! I threw my stl15 in a case I had laying around and sold it! Gave the stl7 away to a friend...my search for the "right cue" was over! Been shooting with the GK ever since and it ain't going anywhere anytime soon...

I'm just a bar box banger....but not by choice!

Old
  (#14)
Player
I'm your huckleberry
Player has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond reputePlayer has a reputation beyond repute

12-11-2016, 09:26 PM

For most of my life and my main hustling days I never owned my own cue. Always played with house cues. Worst thing you could do if you wanted to win some money in the bars was walk in with a fancy cue and case.

About 7 years ago I got a table for my house and had to get some cues for it. Got a few one piece house cues and a few pretty decent two piece cues.

Maybe it's from using different cues so much and learning to get used to one pretty fast but really I play about as good (or bad) with one as the next. I've got 3 or 4 that I like better than the others but I don't really play that much better with them.

One day I'll play with one and the next day another. Not saying that's the best way just me.

Old
  (#15)
dnbnt
Just a little "stituos"
dnbnt has a reputation beyond reputednbnt has a reputation beyond reputednbnt has a reputation beyond reputednbnt has a reputation beyond reputednbnt has a reputation beyond reputednbnt has a reputation beyond reputednbnt has a reputation beyond reputednbnt has a reputation beyond reputednbnt has a reputation beyond reputednbnt has a reputation beyond reputednbnt has a reputation beyond repute

12-11-2016, 11:49 PM

I've had a McD D-3 for over 30 years from the factory. Played with it solely for close to 10 years. Guy at my bar at the time wanted to get rid of his D-18 due to frustration w/the Game. Gave him $125 for it on the spot. Another 10 goes by and there's a guy at a different club keeps asking me to sell the D-18. I didn't intend to sell it so kept telling him, ya, for a grand. Well he keeps dogging me about it so I find out he's putting a collection of all D series together and he offers a straight up trade for a 19 freshly refinished so that's my Shooter now!

Dave

McDermott D19 camui soft/shooter
McDermott D3 /breaker
Schmelke backup.

The next shot is the only shot that matters. Previous shots are just learning tools - ZPELE
Either use the FIRE or it burns you down - Van Acken

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: