Strangest thing you ever bet on in a pool room

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
For anyone who's ever hung out in pool rooms for extended periods, you'll know what I mean when I say there were always those days when stretching out on one of the benches and catching 40 winks was the most exciting prospect going. For us, and I'm guessing for countless other players, on days like that, someone would always come up with something "outside the box" to bet on. When the property across the street was still a huge open field ( now a McDonald's and office complex ), we would bet on who could throw a rock the farthest. Sometimes we would put backs to the far back wall and bet who could run out the front door first. One time, we wanted to have a roach race ( until the owner said, "Ummm... no." ).

So, what's the strangest / outside-the-box thing anyone ever bet on in the room on a lazy, slowwwwww day?

dafish1970

LQQK OUT
Silver Member
I've bet on...$100 coin flips (lock up $1000) who would use the bathroom next (man or woman since there was more men in room at the time I laid odds,)who could drive the ball farthest in golden tee, arm wrestling, cut a deck of cards, red/black or high card (pay double on joker)....and a few other crazy, stupid thing I'm sure.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I've bet on...$100 coin flips (lock up $1000) who would use the bathroom next (man or woman since there was more men in room at the time I laid odds,)who could drive the ball farthest in golden tee, arm wrestling, cut a deck of cards, red/black or high card (pay double on joker)....and a few other crazy, stupid thing I'm sure.

Drinking a gallon of whole milk in 20 minutes.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
In my youth we used to wager who could stretch the furthest across the floor, using a beer bottle in each hand to support one's weight. The only things permitted to touch the ground were the bottles and your shoes. Starting from behind a line the aim was to 'walk' yourself as far as possible, stretch a hand out and leave a bottle as a marker, before somehow getting back whilst grasping the remaining bottle in both hands.

I was too heavy to be any great shakes at the bet, always fearful the bottle was going to smash under my considerable bulk. :(

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Who could throw a banknote the furthest was another good one, there's a definite art to it. :)

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We've had some good ones with my circle of friends including:

How many jelly beans get dispensed from the vending machine(over/under).
Eating a full bowl of mayo.
Shuffleboard on the counter with coffee creamers.
Rolling pool balls closest to the wall(without touching).
Having to eat the entire baked potato dressing tray(Bacon bits, sour cream, butter packs and chives).
Coin flips for drinks(everyone flips and if one person is alone as either heads or tails, they buy the round) which included one with 13 people that ended first flip(I can't even imagine the odds of it happening).

There are just ones off the top of my head.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
In my youth we used to wager who could stretch the furthest across the floor, using a beer bottle in each hand to support one's weight. The only things permitted to touch the ground were the bottles and your shoes. Starting from behind a line the aim was to 'walk' yourself as far as possible, stretch a hand out and leave a bottle as a marker, before somehow getting back whilst grasping the remaining bottle in both hands.

I was too heavy to be any great shakes at the bet, always fearful the bottle was going to smash under my considerable bulk. :(

Sounds like you should've been betting on who popped a tendon first. :D

Michael Andros

Silver Member
We've had some good ones with my circle of friends including:

How many jelly beans get dispensed from the vending machine(over/under).
Eating a full bowl of mayo.
Shuffleboard on the counter with coffee creamers.
Rolling pool balls closest to the wall(without touching).
Having to eat the entire baked potato dressing tray(Bacon bits, sour cream, butter packs and chives).
Coin flips for drinks(everyone flips and if one person is alone as either heads or tails, they buy the round) which included one with 13 people that ended first flip(I can't even imagine the odds of it happening).

There are just ones off the top of my head.

We used to toss half dollars to the spot. Touching wins, cover it completely paid 3 to 1.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it was last night...

I was sitting next to a guy at our Monday tournament. I bet him $10.00 that the guy sitting next to the juke box was going to stand up in the next 5 minutes and start cussing and wanting to fight people.

The guy watches the juke box guy for a couple minutes and finally he says, you have a bet. A minute later I act like I am responding to a text and I get on this juke box app and send a song to that juke box.

Thank good I'm a Country boy by John Denver starts playing a couple seconds later and juke box guy jumps up and demanded to know who played that song and how it got played. He started cussing and threatened to kick someones ass if it happened again.

I held out my hand and the guy gave me a $10 bill.

Back story...

Juke box nazi is a good shooter and the only thing he hates more than John Denver is when someone plays the juke box during a tournament. I've done it 3 times and he can't figure out that it is an app. This time I made a few bucks and ....it throws him off his game just a bit.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I once offered a bet of $50 for a fist fight with a big guy named Oscar. I'd lost a few hundred dollars playing nine ball. Then borrowed some cash from a friend who explicitly told me it was not for gambling anymore pool, at least that night because I'd had too much to drink. I told him I wouldn't gamble on any more pool. He handed the cash to me and I immediately turned to Big Oscar and asked him to fight me for $50. My buddy wanted his money back right then. I thought I had a good bet but the big guy wouldn't take me up on the fight. It was probably for the better....last thing I needed was a good thumping on top of losing all my cash and having to borrow from a friend.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strange things I've seen bet on in a pool hall:
What day it was.
Who would come into the pool hall next.
2 guys betting on how many tampons were in one of their girlfriends purse.
What time a pizza place closed.
More prop bets than you can shoot a stick at etc. ;)

Strange things I have personally bet on in a pool hall:
Why the end of a tape measure moves.
Whether or not you can stick a beer bottle to a wall.
How many teeth were left in one guys mouth.
What caused the big stain on the challenge table.
What will come out of the pop machine next if you choose the button with no label.
More prop bets than you can shoot a stick at etc. :thumbup:

Those are off the top of my head.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
What day it was.

What will come out of the pop machine next if you choose the button with no label.

Love that one...

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ve bet on;

Balls on the break (over / under)

Color of shirt to walk in the door first

Some non-pool hall related:

Eating a slice of bread in a minute, no water (I lost by a mile)

Big Mac in one bite by my friend (not me)

Burp over a minute (not me, but my friend easily got this)

Number of quarters I can hit in a row (over / under 40) - easily won

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
What day it was.

Great list. Mine is very much like that. Drunk bets.

One time my teammate said that he just got the lamest Chinese fortune cookie fortune ever. I bet him $5 that not only was mine lamer, but that he was the sole judge. He paid off immediately when he read mine. To this day, neither of us can remember either fortune, but mine was lame ass.

Freddie <~~~ as lame as it gets

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I’ve bet on;

Balls on the break (over / under)

Color of shirt to walk in the door first

Some non-pool hall related:

Eating a slice of bread in a minute, no water (I lost by a mile)

Big Mac in one bite by my friend (not me)

Burp over a minute (not me, but my friend easily got this)

Number of quarters I can hit in a row (over / under 40) - easily won

Oh, HELL no! I would have to see that! Srsly, Freddie? :eek:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sex with the guys wife if I won the set.

(He lost)

A different guy had a brand new pair of boots. We were only playing $5 a game 9 ball and eventually I won the boots. I didnt have the heart to take the guys boots.

Ken :D

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Only one: loser had to yell the winner's name next time he had an orgasm with his significant other.

I won (whew!), but I'll never know if I collected.

pj <- or if I would have paid
chgo

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had a bet on who could bounce a ping pong ball on the most tables in a row.

Also had a thing about shooting over the floor to a target on the wall, I think we placed two balls side by side across the room and shot the ball on the carpet.

One time when hanging out outside with a few smokers we ended up in a bet about how many primary colors there was, my argument was that there were 7 since that is what light breaks up into through a prism, so even though most people would say 3 (red blue green), I was arguing that the rainbow colors could also be "primary" since that is how light breaks up naturally into. I think I argued it well enough that it was agreed to end in a tie hehe.

Last edited: