Reload this Page Ivory ferrrules: IMO Still the best
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Ivory to Micarta
Old
  (#16)
mattb
AzB Silver Member
mattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Ivory to Micarta - 09-01-2018, 05:32 AM

My first decent cue had ivory ferrules. The sound, feel and playability was amazing. Then I discovered the old Micarta and was a changed pool player. I still have that old ivory ferreled shaft but it is outnumbered 10 to 1 these days.

10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Now we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

I was arrested and the judge said life in prison, or you can join an APA league. I wish now that I had taken the prison term.

Old
  (#17)
DEXTER
Runde fan
DEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

09-01-2018, 05:51 AM

I was blown away the first time I hit with a Ivory ferrule.
My favorite is Ivory joint and ferrule cue.

Shooting cue Ed Prewitt

Old
  (#18)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-01-2018, 05:56 AM

seems like ivory played better
for sure they stay white better

however Billy Stroud told me that he would put the low deflectin
shafts on his cues if he were doing it today

he viewed it as a big improvement
Billy was a centerball player back in the day

He was the best player in Dallas and of course
he knows cues

Don Owen,Mark griffin,and I had lunch this week
and also made a good case for OB shafts

Don owns the company OB CUES

I pretty much just play the same thing I always played
that is,whatever feels good and shoots straight

I prefer South west cues with ivory,but in the absence of this
I play micarta ferrules and maple shafts

then again,i don't play too good

Old
  (#19)
johnnysd
AzB Silver Member
johnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond repute

09-01-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealegs50 View Post
I own almost a dozen shafts with ivory ferrules. I have not found a reason to switch from my favorite shafts all of which have them. My friends tell me that there are shots that cannot be made with high deflection/squirt shafts. But I seem to do just fine with these shafts I acquired over the past 30+ years. As much as I like what I already own, I would not advise someone just getting into pool to learn to play with ivory. I think it is better to favor materials that will be readily available in the future.
I agree, I think for a developing player I would start him with something like a Revo, BeCue or the new Jacoby Ultra (pretty impressive) as it would speed development for the player and help long term. For a player like me that grew up playing ivory, LD is almost the opposite in that I have to almost consciously adjust for less deflection at least for a while.

Outside of that though, i think Ivory has distinct advantages.

I have heard recently that Arvorin, an Ivory substitute that is less known plays and sounds very much like real Ivory.

Old
  (#20)
Runner
AzB Silver Member
Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond repute

09-05-2018, 09:24 AM

Love 'em... all my playing cues have them.
It's a feel thing... Hard to describe but I'm used to 'em.

Old
  (#21)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

09-05-2018, 09:57 AM

It's so pleasing to read the posts about ivory ferrules & especially, ivory cue joints.
Attached Images

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (9-6-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon '85 Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#22)
BooRadley
AzB Bronze Member
BooRadley has a reputation beyond reputeBooRadley has a reputation beyond reputeBooRadley has a reputation beyond reputeBooRadley has a reputation beyond reputeBooRadley has a reputation beyond reputeBooRadley has a reputation beyond reputeBooRadley has a reputation beyond reputeBooRadley has a reputation beyond reputeBooRadley has a reputation beyond reputeBooRadley has a reputation beyond reputeBooRadley has a reputation beyond repute

09-05-2018, 12:48 PM

Well I myself have had a vintage cue I inherited that had ivory joints and ferule, and yea it played great, (also was a Gina so..) But honestly since nobody else has ill just say that I'd rather use a ferrule almost as good than directly or indirectly support the ivory trade. Now I am not judging anyone and don't really have a problem with older items containing ivory but unfortunately ivory is still in high demand and poaching is still a major problem, and I love pool but for me possible improvement is not worth it.

Billiards has an painful and interesting history with Ivory, they would use one tusk on average to make 3 balls (cringe) - but it was the need to replace the ivory that led to a new age of plastics. (Ironically the plastics will probally kill us in the end...hmm maybe just use the Ivory in that case at least you'll play better pool before the end!)

https://www.connellytucson.com/conte...uture-plastics

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2...ith_roman.html

Old
  (#23)
rjb1168
AzB Gold Member
rjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond reputerjb1168 has a reputation beyond repute

09-05-2018, 03:27 PM

My Tascarella is the first playing cue I have owned with Ivory ferrules. I am liking them very much and love the Tascarella.

Old
  (#24)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

09-05-2018, 04:18 PM

The illegal trading of ivory is horrible and really should be forcefully discouraged.
Ca enacted stringent laws & so have several states; import & export is also banned.

However, the genuine irony is that cue-makers do not use illegal ivory; all of it is pre-ban 1978.
When was the last time, or better yet, when was any cue-maker charged with using illegal ivory?

Now Ernie G. was charged with breaking the Federal law prohibiting the export of ivory products.
He made cues using ivory, the buyers were from overseas & he knew where the cues were bound.

The ivory used in those cues, and I submit ivory used in basically all pool cues, is pre-ban 1978.
That's ivory forty (40) years old at the miniumum and likely a whole lot older so how does this ivory
contribute to the illegal traffic in poached ivory? There is no correlation whatsoever & remember, this
is "legal" ivory already here in the USA. Unfortunately, I reside in a state prohibiting the use of ivory.

Any cue-maker that does not reside in a state that restricts the use of ivory, and every cue buyer that
also doesn't reside in a restrictive state, is entitled to build and own pool cues that uses pre-ban ivory.
And as you've read from some of the posts, ivory makes a very unique pool cue ferrule & cue joint too.

Ergo, this does not increase the demand for poached ivory because all the ivory used in pool cues is legal
and until someone identifies a USA cue-maker building cues using poached ivory, there isn't any cause.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (9-6-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon '85 Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#25)
Nick B
This is gonna hurt
Nick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond repute

09-05-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
Of the top 20 cue makers, I have owned about a dozen of their cues...
....had the ivory ferrules taken off every one of them...canít stand them.

Iíll confess I left one on a Tad shaft because I was hooked to breaking with it...
...but eventually I cracked the ferrule.

I feel the same way about British brass ferruled snooker cues....
...why are they still being used when there are all these magic materials around?

Iíve had cue makerís tell me Iím going to devalue a cue by losing the ivory...
....I would tell them that it would be an exercise in futility to retain the collectorís value....
....and lose my bankroll.
That's my first move. Off comes the brass for a black fiber ferule. Never had one crack or fail.

Cue: Foster, Break/Jump: Foster
http://www.fostercues.com/
Name: Nick Beretanos

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: