How would you handle this?

Dusrsan12

Registered
Ok, so two guys were gambling at the local pool hall last night. They know each other well and gamble often. Player 1 is obviously the better player and is winning easily. Fast forward to the final set. Player 1 is now giving player 2 a considerable amount of weight and it goes hill-hill. Player 2 scratches on the break and the 1-9 combo is lined up pretty nicely. On his way to his seat, player 2 intentionally moves the one ball against the rail, making the combo impossible to even attempt. He says “There’s no rule stating that I cannot do this and it’s just ball in hand.” After some words Player 1 just takes ball in hand and ends up winning the set. This one just rubbed me the wrong way and wanted to hear how some of you would have dealt with something like this. Thanks!

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, so two guys were gambling at the local pool hall last night. They know each other well and gamble often. Player 1 is obviously the better player and is winning easily. Fast forward to the final set. Player 1 is now giving player 2 a considerable amount of weight and it goes hill-hill. Player 2 scratches on the break and the 1-9 combo is lined up pretty nicely. On his way to his seat, player 2 intentionally moves the one ball against the rail, making the combo impossible to even attempt. He says “There’s no rule stating that I cannot do this and it’s just ball in hand.” After some words Player 1 just takes ball in hand and ends up winning the set. This one just rubbed me the wrong way and wanted to hear how some of you would have dealt with something like this. Thanks!

So he’s a weak player and even weaker in character. Forget about it. Karma will take care of him.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
"They know each other well and gamble often."

I don't know either one or their history.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like it is none of your business, as uninvolved player 3, no?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player 1 should: A. Put balls back. B. Win the $$$ AND C. Give player 2 a beat-down for bein' a chicken-s^*t nit.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would consider it a concession and take the money. but it does connect to a similar question some guy asked me, how fouly can an intentional foul be? my response was that it's limited to the cue striking the cue ball

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might have played the rack out and won however if I missed, I would have waited until #2 got on the 8-ball and then I would have picked up the 9-ball and moved it to an impossible shot or maybe to another table.

I would have then taken my money told him to quit doing stupid shit.

Dusrsan12

Registered
i would consider it a concession and take the money. but it does connect to a similar question some guy asked me, how fouly can an intentional foul be? my response was that it's limited to the cue striking the cue ball

I immediately thought concession as well. It was definitely something that has never come up before. Considering the player I was actually not surprised at all. He’s infamous for things like this.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player 1 gives Player 2 weight but still takes him to the cleaners? Player 1 pulls that stunt and Player 2, albeit clearly disgruntled, continues to beat him. Just leave them to it. Player 1 has a decision to make - either stop playing with this clown, or keep taking his money.

Dusrsan12

Registered
I might have played the rack out and won however if I missed, I would have waited until #2 got on the 8-ball and then I would have picked up the 9-ball and moved it to an impossible shot or maybe to another table.

I would have then taken my money told him to quit doing stupid shit.

You sir, you’re a genius! Lol

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Considering the player I was actually not surprised at all. He’s infamous for things like this.

Wow, thanks for telling us - that’s new information (to us) that changes everything. Except it doesn’t - although it should because a d1ckh3ad like that should be run out of the place.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
in league or tourney play this sounds like an unsportsmanlike forfeit-of-the-game offense but since these 2 guys know each other well and it was them gambling, I'd say it's up to them how to handle it.

imo

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, thanks for telling us - that’s new information (to us) that changes everything. Except it doesn’t - although it should because a d1ckh3ad like that should be run out of the place.

This^^

Take your money and don't play him again.

'There is a guy at my place that will move move your quarter back one spot on the score or move his up one spot during a race to 6. I've seen him do this. After one game, I told the other guy (who did win the race) that he needed to pay more attention during his game. The other guy usually does this when he is playing someone who has been drinking.

The other guy has trouble finding a game with anyone now.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I immediately thought concession as well. It was definitely something that has never come up before. Considering the player I was actually not surprised at all. He’s infamous for things like this.
And he still can't win. Warn your friends of what to expect from him if they don't already know. And while "it's none of your business", people do gossip.

If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me.
-- Alice Roosevelt Longworth (Teddy's daughter)
CropperCapture[344].png

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Regardless of the outcome, I think everyone on the forum can agree Player 2 is a big piece a poop, that shouldn't be getting much action anymore.

At least until he can find some big boy pants and take the L like an adult. :rolleyes:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Sounds like it is none of your business, as uninvolved player 3, no?

This is my sentiment.

If player 2 can change the table like that, then they are good friends and he knows he's beat and it's just a way of saying 'you've beaten me as the table lays, I'm gonna change it to make it harder'. Its a move of concession. I've seen similar things happen.

I'd stay away as a uninvolved 3rd party and let them go about their games.

This thread is really much ado about nothing. Just two friends playing pool. I doubt player 2 would try that w anyone else.