Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Break cue stuff, again.
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Break cue stuff, again.
Old
  (#1)
AkGuy
AzB Silver Member
AkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Question Break cue stuff, again. - 11-13-2019, 12:41 AM

What is the best wood for a break cue shaft, maple, purple heart, etc.?

How about the joint? Is the Uni Loc a good choice or another all metal joint?

Seems like every one has their preference's on weight and tip diameter.

Old
  (#2)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 01:10 AM

Only things that really matter:

Hitting cb accurately
Stroke speed

Everything else is just another:

This group likes chocolate but, the other group likes vanilla.

EDIT:

Instead of thinking you don't break HARD enough, try to think instead of trying to break FAST enough.

Most....but not all by any means, use a break cue that's a little lighter than their playing cue.

My playing cue is ~18.60 ounces, 60" long @12.4 mm with a G2 soft tip.

My breaker is a BK Rush, it's 58" @12.75 mm and weighs 17 ounces with the stock tip.

Try adding and taking weight away from your break cue and see how it changes your abilities to control the cb on the break.

Then do the same thing and see how it changes "how fast" or "how slow" your stroke speed becomes.

I believe you will see as speed increases, control will decrease.

Find what you need....then you will know what to buy.

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Last edited by jrctherake; 11-13-2019 at 04:54 AM.

Old
  (#3)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 01:12 AM

What do you have now?

Why are you changing?

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Current one
Old
  (#4)
AkGuy
AzB Silver Member
AkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond reputeAkGuy has a reputation beyond repute

Smile Current one - 11-13-2019, 01:49 AM

I had a phenolic ferrule and a hard tip of some kind put on a Diveney 12.5 shaft and use it with one of my Diveney radial pin butts.

I was looking at going to a 13.5 mm shaft and a White Diamond tip with a purple heart shaft and butt.

I am a mediocre breaker at best, just can't hit them hard.

Old
  (#5)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member

11-13-2019, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkGuy View Post
I had a phenolic ferrule and a hard tip of some kind put on a Diveney 12.5 shaft and use it with one of my Diveney radial pin butts.

I was looking at going to a 13.5 mm shaft and a White Diamond tip with a purple heart shaft and butt.

If you don't mind me asking, what's mediocre about your break? Is it your accuracy? Is it your stroke speed? Is it something to do with your stance or bridge? What technique do you use, is it all shoulder or do you incorporate your shoulder, hips etc...etc into your break?

BTW, do you have any physical issues such as back problems?

Jeff

Old
  (#6)
gregnice37
Bar Banger, Cue Collector
gregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 02:24 AM

Quote:

I know you don't want to bear it but if you don't break that hard, carbon fiber shaft the way to go due to the energy transfer.

Old
  (#7)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member

11-13-2019, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnice37 View Post
I know you don't want to bear it but if you don't break that hard, carbon fiber shaft the way to go due to the energy transfer.
CF shafts do seem to move the cb much easier.

I like them for 8, 9, 10 and AR unless I can get away with a medium to soft break.

For 1hole, 14.1 and similar games, I use my playing cue.

Jeff

Old
  (#8)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-13-2019, 04:06 AM

I would think Dymondwood
As a jump cue for sure the best for me

Old
  (#9)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 04:26 AM

Quote:
What is the best wood for a break cue shaft, maple, purple heart, etc.?

How about the joint? Is the Uni Loc a good choice or another all metal joint?

Seems like every one has their preference's on weight and tip diameter.
Don't know about best but i use a $100 J&J wood-screw joint j/b with a WDUltra tip. Works great. 13mm(or a tad larger) is best for breaking.

Dymonwood
Old
  (#10)
AkGuy
AzB Silver Member

Dymonwood - 11-13-2019, 05:22 AM

I have a Dymonwood shaft that has a Uni Loc joint, I could get a 30" butt with a Uni Loc and try it.

I can rack tight. I have a very good wooden rack, a Delta rack, Magic rack and Accu rack.

It is probably my control, the faster I hit, the worse I hit where I am aiming. Crap.

Old
  (#11)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member

11-13-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
I have a Dymonwood shaft that has a Uni Loc joint, I could get a 30" butt with a Uni Loc and try it.

I can rack tight. I have a very good wooden rack, a Delta rack, Magic rack and Accu rack.

It is probably my control, the faster I hit, the worse I hit where I am aiming. Crap.
To be honest, you shouldn't worry about a new cue.

I'm not perfect either but, it sounds like you need to work on your stance, grip and bridge hand etc...etc.....everything that leads to a straight stroke.

After you get ^^^^^^^^^ in check as best you can, evaluate your break again. You may find you don't need a new break cue.

Jeff

Old
  (#12)
lakeman77
AzB Silver Member
lakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

11-13-2019, 07:15 AM

It's all about technique. Not woods, carbons shafts, tips, nor cue weight.
Get the Predator break speed app for your phone, find out for yourself.
Good Luck.

Old
  (#13)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 07:40 AM

I cant wait for my dymondwood breaker to be ready
Seriously hate waiting

My players sp breaks very good with a tight rack and my big frame lol
Its a wood to wood joint and has brass inserts
Plays jam up

I just want the dymondwood cause its looks incredible and it just might break a lil better iuno, well find out

Im keeping that sp though as a player,

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#14)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 07:45 AM

Local player thats well known
Uses a regular house cue and breaks like a monster
So it really dont matter what you use, your accuracy is far more important imo

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#15)
BryanB
Huge Balls
BryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond reputeBryanB has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-13-2019, 07:56 AM

Just don't get caught up in the hype of thinking you must have a $700 BK Rush to have a good break. Something like a purple heart or diamond wood shaft combined with a white diamond tip will perform as good as most people need

Bryan
USAF Retired 1988-2009

Playing cue: Doug Patrick
Jump: Caveman Cues (Ruben Silva) https://m.facebook.com/Caveman-Custo...7541689443979/

ACS Level 2 Instructor
OB Cues - Dealer & Player representative
Magic Chalk Dealer

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: