How long can you go without playing pool?

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
I just moved into the new house and haven't set up the pool table yet.

I think its been two weeks since I played a game or practiced. I know you all are thinking just go to the pool hall...

Well I've been busy working on the house and haven't had time. I know, I know my priorities must be f'd up :rolleyes:

I finally started taking the table apart, just need to move it to the new house. It has a great 20x20 finished shed/mantown. Thanks to dsoriano, I can't make a thread after that masterpiece.

And to top it all off Lock N Load hasn't accepted me to the Lock Society yet.

I'm stressed out and need to play pool, how long can you go?

Last edited:

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
I make a lot of noise about how much I hate practicing, and how much pool pisses me off in general, but since I've gotten a table at home, I haven't gone more than a day without playing.

Trying to beat my 14.1 high run (42) keeps me busy and somewhat entertained.

LucasBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I start feeling like I'm slacking if I don't play everyday. I have a table at home so I have no excuse to miss a day. I recently sold a Brunswick home table I had and replaced it with a Dynamo bar box and it was 3 days in between selling the one and setting up the other. It sucked, everytime I would walk through the game room if felt like I was missing something. So for me it's hard to go without playing everyday. Even when I'm on vacation I find a way to get some pool in. My wife and I played 2 days out of 5 on our honeymoon because I was itchin to hit some balls. It's bad, pool is an addictive game. My name is Joseph and I have a pool problem.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
After

about 3 weeks, I start to get stomach pains, and a tightness that I can not describe. I go play Pool, and everything is alright again ... lol

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I spent the first 58 years of my life without playing pool. But since taking up the game I'd say the most I've gone is 2 or 3 days. We've got a week-long vacation coming up to a remote part of Wisconsin and I'm trying to find a hall/bar there, but no luck so far.

2_Fast_4_Fleas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went 9 years, picked it back up and 10 months later played in the 2010 US Open 9ball. I did a blog on the journey to the 2010 US Open....unfortunately now I can stop playing again....lol:thumbup:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
In the last 5 years or so I have had many multiple month stints where I played no pool. The summer months from April to October are often 0 pool for the last few years and then I play 5-10 games once every couple weeks for league without any practice in between.

It sucks. I once played ALOT of pool when we had a pool scene with alot of active weekly tournaments that got 40+ of the top local players each week. It was a fun time to play and compete. Now we don't have many tournaments and it is tough to actually put the time in to stay sharp for the rare event that takes place here and there.

As much as I love the game I find the avenues to compete in it are poor atm, leagues are getting really boring and routine, and I think this is a major problem with the game, at least where I am from. It is not only me, a slew of top players from Calgary have quit and put no effort and time into the game since the tournament scene dried up, they like me just don't have the right impetus to get interested in playing.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Wow ... you guys have willpower. I'm trying not to go tonight. One night. I'm trying to figure out what 6-hour movie will capture my interest enough to stop me.

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You'd be surprised at how many really good players stay away for years. Quit in fact.

stouter2386

how about the 5 out ?
Silver Member
As of today its been almost 2 weeks and I'm starting to get itchy
The longest I've gone without playing was about 3 months
and I felt like i lost about 20% of my game and it took weeks for me to
get it back

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to play 4-6 hours a day every day, with 12+ hour sessions being common on weekends. At that time, skipping a day would have been unthinkable to me, since I really craved hitting balls. Now my pool cravings are more about competition, and I only hit balls if there is a tournament or something coming up. It's not uncommon for me to go a month or three without hitting a ball, but, based on how slow the tournament scene is in my area, and the fact that I am ineligible to play in my favorite tournament in my state for the next 5 years, I'm thinking that "month or three" might turn into a year or three. It's easy for me to fade a long layoff when I know I'm not missing anything. :smile: If I lived somewhere with a really active pool scene, I'd probably get itchy every couple of weeks or so, though.

Aaron

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to play 4-6 hours a day every day, with 12+ hour sessions being common on weekends. At that time, skipping a day would have been unthinkable to me, since I really craved hitting balls. Now my pool cravings are more about competition, and I only hit balls if there is a tournament or something coming up. It's not uncommon for me to go a month or three without hitting a ball, but, based on how slow the tournament scene is in my area, and the fact that I am ineligible to play in my favorite tournament in my state for the next 5 years, I'm thinking that "month or three" might turn into a year or three. It's easy for me to fade a long layoff when I know I'm not missing anything. :smile: If I lived somewhere with a really active pool scene, I'd probably get itchy every couple of weeks or so, though.

Aaron

I am the same way...I don't particularly like to play pool, I like to compete and the scene here is pretty weak for me.

We should meet halfway. Where's that?

Edit: Carl's Jr. is an American fast-food restaurant chain located mostly in the Western and Southwestern United States

Last edited:

Adam Brown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went over 2 years only playing maybe 3 days out of 730. I played at the least 5 days a week before that for 4 to 5 hours a night at the minimum. I just started back playing about 2 nights a week. I look back and regret that I stopped playing but I will figure the game out again. It takes a lot of will power to go that long, well it did for me, to go without playing.

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am the same way...I don't particularly like to play pool, I like to compete and the scene here is pretty weak for me.

We should meet halfway. Where's that?

Edit: Carl's Jr. is an American fast-food restaurant chain located mostly in the Western and Southwestern United States

I'm in MO, which is a mediocre place people often pass through/fly over when they are headed from one good place to another good place, LOL. The Carl's Jr. thing is actually a reference to the movie Idiocracy, which everyone should see IMHO.

Aaron

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member

I think its been two weeks since I played a game or practiced. I know you all are thinking just go to the pool hall...

Well I've been busy working on the house and haven't had time. I know, I know my priorities must be f'd up :rolleyes:

I finally started taking the table apart, just need to move it to the new house. It has a great 20x20 finished shed/mantown. But thanks to disarono I can make a thread now after that masterpiece.

And to top it all of Lock N Load hasn't accepted me to the Lock Society yet.

What Lock Society? I went over a year without playing, but after I put my table back together it has been every night on that sucker and the weekends as well.

blah blah

Shoebat
I used to get a sharp, continuous pain in my shooting arm if I didn't play for three days or more. It would be bad. Then if I'd just hit a few balls, that pain would ease and just fade away, fast. Does anyone else have that, or maybe was it psychosomatic?

I can go four, maybe five days without playing now, and there's no pain. I haven't tried anything longer than that.

I did quit for about 6 years, once. I don't remember any pain then. In fact, I didn't even miss pool because I was too busy with other things.

Maybe it's mental.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I finally started taking the table apart, just need to move it to the new house. It has a great 20x20 finished shed/mantown. But thanks to disarono I can make a thread now after that masterpiece.

And to top it all of Lock N Load hasn't accepted me to the Lock Society yet.

I have gone a year or more and not played. I don't think I have played in a month at the moment and I have a table sitting in the next room. Sometimes I just don't play.