Tips for improving draw

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
There were several posters recommending a level cue and Shane didn't use one in that video.

Many times it is impossible to hold a cue level due to ball locations, etc. A good player better be able to draw with an UNlevel cue, too.

Jeff Livingston
A truly "level cue" is not possible on most shots, and sometimes one needs to elevate the cue (e.g., to clear over a ball or cushion, or to create quick draw); however, one should not elevate more than what is required for the shot (based on the info on the draw shot cue elevation effects resource page).

Regards,
Dave

the chicken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Length of the table draw? No problemo! Just lengthen your stroke an inch or three.

Shoot safe!

John

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The suggestion of a lesson is also a good one. It's money well-spent if taken from the right person.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've taught quite a few players how to draw. Most everyone wants you to hit the ball lower, and follow through which is great advice, but start with just a single striped ball on the table...pick a number as long as it's a stripe. If you have a CB, and an OB on the table, AND you're also trying to make the OB it's just too many things to focus on at the same time.

Place the ball on the table with the stripe running horizontally. Now line up your cue with tip low and cue as level as possible. Stroke through the ball, not at the ball, with the intention of making the ball spin backwards. The stripe will tell you if it's just skidding or actually spinning backwards. I don't care if the ball only travels two feet as long as there's backwards spin on it, in fact the slower forward speed the better. Once you get the ball spinning backwards as indicated by the stripe, then add an OB about a foot or two away...but don't try to make the OB, and use the stripe ball as the CB cause you still need feedback. Shoot the OB and try to make the stripe come back to you after contact with the OB.

Once you get good at that just keep adding a little more distance, and speed using the same stroke that you can now FEEL.

When you feel comfortable use the CB, feedback no longer needed, and try to make the OB

Last edited:

Stretch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What works for me is visualizing the ghost ball 4 to 6 inches beyond the actual object ball. i don't know why this works but it really does. St.

Stretch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What works for me is visualizing the ghost ball 4 to 6 inches beyond the actual object ball. I don't know why this works but it really does. St.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
forget all the mumbo jumbo
level stroke etc

raise the butt,cue the ball low and follow through to extend your tip all the way tho the cloth

concentrate on following through to put that tip on the cloth after you hit the cue ball

don't worry if it makes it or not just let that be your plan