Tips for improving draw

GrayBeard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking for ways to improve my draw shot which is mediocre at best. I can draw about half a table if I'm within a couple
of feet of the object ball, but where I really fall down is trying to put any draw on longer shots. If I'm more than half a
table from the object ball, even my best efforts at draw will only result in a couple of inches of draw. On the really long
shots all I can manage is a stop shot. I know stroke is the most important thing in this kind of shot, and I'm working on that
(tips for drills would be very welcome.) However, I'm wondering if there are other factors I should be considering such as
the cue tip type and shape, and maybe even type of chalk. (I'm using Master Chalk.)

I've watched the pros who seem to effortlessly draw from any distance and I feel quite frustrated that I'm so poor at it. I
don't expect to draw like a pro, but I would like to be able to draw at least some on the long distance shots.

My cue is an entry level Star cue by McDermott. I like the cue fine, but I'm not certain it has a quality tip. The McDermott
web site doesn't even mention the type of tip the cue has, so it's no doubt some kind of generic medium tip.

I don't want you to think I'm blaming my equipment because I'm not -- I know the fault is mine. I just wonder if a better tip
can help me to improve my ability to draw the ball, and if so, what type of tip.

Please be kind, I'm 66 years old and just getting back to the game after a 40+ year hiatus. I have a 9' table with Simonis
860 cloth, so I have the time and equipment to practice with, just not making a lot of progress.

Thanks in advance to all responders.

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
Try lowering your cue (the whole cue) with a smooth stroke. The more level the cue the better. Try posting a video if you can and we can give you more specific advise.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Paging Dr. Dave...

Seriously, he has an excellent video on youtube on draw shots. I just can't find it now.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are only a few reasons for bad execution on draw, you are either not hitting low enough, with not enough power for the distance or you are moving on the shot and raising up the tip on the final stroke.

That last one messes up a lot of people. I see big guys that look like they can lift a bus stroke the cue like crazy, smash the cueball, and end up with a stop shot or even follow. It's because even if they line up low on the cueball in practice stokes, they lift up on the shot or do a whindmill stoke and raise up the tip when they actually contact the ball.

There is some equipment that can mess you up like old dirt cloth or a mud ball (heavy cueball used on bar tables that acts like it's made out of lead), but if you can't draw anywhere, you are just not hitting the cueball with draw.

I am looking for ways to improve my draw shot which is mediocre at best. I can draw about half a table if I'm within a couple
of feet of the object ball, but where I really fall down is trying to put any draw on longer shots. If I'm more than half a
table from the object ball, even my best efforts at draw will only result in a couple of inches of draw. On the really long
shots all I can manage is a stop shot. I know stroke is the most important thing in this kind of shot, and I'm working on that
(tips for drills would be very welcome.) However, I'm wondering if there are other factors I should be considering such as
the cue tip type and shape, and maybe even type of chalk. (I'm using Master Chalk.)

I've watched the pros who seem to effortlessly draw from any distance and I feel quite frustrated that I'm so poor at it. I
don't expect to draw like a pro, but I would like to be able to draw at least some on the long distance shots.

My cue is an entry level Star cue by McDermott. I like the cue fine, but I'm not certain it has a quality tip. The McDermott
web site doesn't even mention the type of tip the cue has, so it's no doubt some kind of generic medium tip.

I don't want you to think I'm blaming my equipment because I'm not -- I know the fault is mine. I just wonder if a better tip
can help me to improve my ability to draw the ball, and if so, what type of tip.

Please be kind, I'm 66 years old and just getting back to the game after a 40+ year hiatus. I have a 9' table with Simonis
860 cloth, so I have the time and equipment to practice with, just not making a lot of progress.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're aiming low enough, then you're probably failing to hit the cue ball where you're aiming. You're aiming low, but then when you wind up for a hard-hit shot, you're doing something (e.g., dropping your elbow) that is lifting the tip up.

Try chalking up good, hitting a stripe rather than a cue ball, and then checking the chalk mark to see if you contacted the ball where you thought.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would suggest to use a striped ball only, don't even try to hit another ball. You line up the stripe so it's horizontal and facing you and simply hit the draw shot as you normally would at different speeds. You will see the initial backspin and when the ball begins to skid then start rolling forward (turn over). If the object ball is the same distance of when it begins to skid, you will not draw the ball at all, it will be a stop shot.

Practice this traveling 3; 4; 5; 6; 7 diamonds in length until you can see that the stripe ball (cueball) is still spinning backwards when you get to the desired distance. If it's not you would need to change where you hit the cue ball (lower) and or increase the speed of the shot but making sure you stroke the ball properly by following through each time.

There are different techniques to get more draw, but I found that this exercise helps results oriented people because of instant feedback and understanding of what needs to happen.

Good luck!
Dave

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Tips

Kamui , sniper Ultra skin and many other tips seem to preform great when using draw.

Please don't confuse soft tips get better draw which is not true, just seems easier.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I think keeping a level cue and hitting low, which are two obvious considerations, have been mentioned. I don't believe FOLLOW THROUGH has and that is equally, if not more important. Keep practicing and all of a sudden it will seem effortless. Good luck. :thumbup:

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
OP. The spin produced after contact is directly correlated with cue tip acceleration and followthrough. I recommend a slow smooth backswing and an accelerating smooth foreswing. Stay down on your shot! also a closed bridge will help with consistency,

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Most everything has been said but there is 1 very important thing missing from the ingredient, that is "loose grip" incorporate that with everthing else and you will find the "Majic" you're looking for.

Start hitting easy then a little harder when you start getting the results you are looking for and so on.

madjammer

Registered
I was having the same problem after being away from the game for a while. I started getting improvements by keeping my grip loose (was killing my follow through) and focusing on making my final backstroke slow and deliberate. Try not to muscle up on the shot.

J SCHWARZ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some things that were explained to me that helped improve my draw were:

1. You don't need to pound the ball to get more draw, its in the stroke.
Nice and easy, make sure your forward motion is the same speed as when you pull the cue back.
2. Use a loose grip. I hold the cue like I would if I were going to do a pull up, but my back two or three fingers come off the stick in my backswing, and re grip in my forward swing as my wrist "pivots" as I am making contact with the cueball.

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tip shape

Many good ideas about draw so far. I didn't see anyone mention the shape of the tip. I have found a Dime radius on the tip works best for me,

Al

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
What could be happening when drawing whitey is your right hand may be unconsciously tightening on the handle as you make the stroke.
Next time, just as you are about to execute your draw shot, remind yourself to relax the right hand. Say it out loud, if you have to.
If you find that you are unable to do that, Valium is a good alternative. :)

P.S. If you are left-handed, reverse the process.

J SCHWARZ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
something I forgot to mention earlier that also helped me get the feel for the draw stroke is to use an open bridge. For some reason using an open bridge makes me focus more on a slow and deliberate stroke.

ktrepal85

Banned

To be honest, drawing the ball when you're half a table or more away is very hard to execute and usually not the correct shot. Even the pros, who can perform this shot pretty consistently don't usually shoot it because they end up having to stroke the ball so much that they lose accuracy. Most people have trouble keeping their heads still during these power draw shots and try to avoid them if possible. And no offense, but if you're 66 years old I don't think you are going to be an ideal candidate for the power draw shot. Most older players have trouble getting their head down on the shot to begin with because of back problems. Hopefully your back is better most! Good luck!

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom Rossman demonstrated a trick shot where he said to throw the cue at the cueball for extreme draw.

I have used this technique for a couple shots at tournaments. Best if about a foot away from the object ball.