Gold Crown IV question/wood type

"Q" Protectors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an all black Gold Crown and I'm trying to figure out what species of wood is under the paint of the side skirt?
Thanks,

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Have refinished a dozen or so GC 1's with maple skirts. In case someone is doing a gc1.
Those would h Ave been about the earliest GC1s, as the switched to Poplar afterwards. All the GC1s, I rebuilt and refinished at the Oasis were Poplar, but they were not the 61' GCS either.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Brunswick used Poplar for the side skirts.

Hey Glen, my table is a GCII (it does not have figure 8 rail hold downs and it has segmented aluminum skirt hangers) and it also had Maple skirts. I wasn't sure what kind of wood it was but I knew it was a very hard hardwood so I took one of my skirts to a local lumber mill and they told me they were Maple. The edges of the legs and ball box were Poplar, they sanded and stained very easy compared to the Maple skirts which gave me a lot of grief trying to get the stain to look good. FWIW the table was never in a pool hall, it was privately owned its entire life. I am 3rd owner, the gentleman I bought it from knew the person he bought it from, it was originally purchased from a Brunswick dealer and delivered to a private residence, the table came as a package with the table, floor standing cue rack, Centennials, rack, brush, 10 1 piece Brunswick cues and 1 Hoppe Titlist.

Last edited:

"Q" Protectors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks RKC. I was wondering if it would have been worth stripping the wood of paint and finishing it with nice stain....but poplar....I'll strip and repaint.
Thanks again!!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Thanks RKC. I was wondering if it would have been worth stripping the wood of paint and finishing it with nice stain....but poplar....I'll strip and repaint.
Thanks again!!

Before you do that maybe you should look at my reply right above yours, you might have Maple skirts, you do not need to strip them first, just look at the back side. Also, my ball box and the outer edges of the legs are Poplar and they stained nicely.

"Q" Protectors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before you do that maybe you should look at my reply right above yours, you might have Maple skirts, you do not need to strip them first, just look at the back side. Also, my ball box and the outer edges of the legs are Poplar and they stained nicely.

I'll check it out! Just having a tough time picturing stained side skirts and black rails. But I'll see what wood is there first.

dannylee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maple Skirts

I had a GC1 that was earlier - but a friend of mine that had a GC2 had maple skirts as well. It was not a Frankenstein GC - it was all original because he got it from his grandfather. So just a heads up regarding what you may find if you are contemplating what material the skirts are. The best bet is the strip the paint and 9 times out of 10 you can identify or someone that knows can identify what wood it will be. YMMV