Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Why would a 'junk' cue play better than an expensive one?
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-22-2017, 05:49 PM

Oh this will be entertaining

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#32)
justinb386
Banned
justinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond repute

09-22-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2twoball View Post
My couple of "expensive" cues don't play as well because it's in my mind not to ding, scratch, or scuff them in any way. My "cheap" cues, well, I just rare back and play the game, and play it much better with my mind clear of 'babying' the cue!
If you cant feel relaxed when using a cue that you own, then it is nothing more then a piece of expensive art to you. Seems pointless to own an expensive cue that you do not really enjoy playing with.

Old
  (#33)
gogg
AzB Silver Member
gogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond repute

09-22-2017, 05:59 PM

Could it be the difference in the "squirt" factor?
Predator ld shaft vs a "standard" shaft.......
just the most obvious thing I thought of. (Plus that hasn't been brought up yet)

Even a bad day at the table is better than a good day at work!

A man, as a general rule,owes very little to what he is born with.
A man is what he makes of himself.
Alexander Graham Bell

Old
  (#34)
woodyosborne
AzB Silver Member
woodyosborne has a reputation beyond reputewoodyosborne has a reputation beyond reputewoodyosborne has a reputation beyond reputewoodyosborne has a reputation beyond reputewoodyosborne has a reputation beyond reputewoodyosborne has a reputation beyond reputewoodyosborne has a reputation beyond reputewoodyosborne has a reputation beyond reputewoodyosborne has a reputation beyond reputewoodyosborne has a reputation beyond reputewoodyosborne has a reputation beyond repute

09-22-2017, 06:10 PM

somewhere there's a quote
somewhat vaguely saying that making a good cue happens often and a great cue is an accident. don't agree completely with that but......

Old
  (#35)
Mr. Bond
Orbis Non Sufficit
Mr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond repute

09-22-2017, 06:10 PM

I've beat more people with a dufferin than any other cue

Old
  (#36)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

09-22-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogg View Post
Could it be the difference in the "squirt" factor?
Predator ld shaft vs a "standard" shaft.......
just the most obvious thing I thought of. (Plus that hasn't been brought up yet)
I don't know about that.
I use such a small amount of spin that I don't think it's an issue. This affects my position on some shots but I'd rather stay at the table and whack at that next ball. (I watch SVB doing his magic and also some of those Asian women...and I'm amazed.)
I did have the opportunity to talk to SVB in between matches over at that recent tournament in Spartanburg SC, and he was polite enough to show me that he barely gets off center with his tip and that cue ball does it's dance. I'm thinking it's in that beautiful stroke of his.
I'm going down to the pool table in a little while and shoot some of those long cut shots where you have to load the white ball up with low inside to keep from scratching and see what happens using the junk cue. (That Predator will sometime miss the whole ball.)
The amount of just plain 'side', as the brits call it, is very, very, minimum in my game.
Thank you for responding....it's something that needs to be examined.

Last edited by Low500; 09-22-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Old
  (#37)
Cuebuddy
Vege-table
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-22-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneath_the_sur View Post
With replying to every single comment, and the join date ,
Plus the original post

Brags/asshat/8ballr is back
Well its about time! I have been expecting this for a few weeks now. I rarely doubt B-B...the man has a good sniffer on him.

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Old
  (#38)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

09-22-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinb386 View Post
If you cant feel relaxed when using a cue that you own, then it is nothing more then a piece of expensive art to you. Seems pointless to own an expensive cue that you do not really enjoy playing with.
You're absolutely right Justin. It's my Rick Howard. I would probably sell the cue LOCALLY or in person. I'm leery about sending it off though. I have a 4 or 5 other cues that ALL play great and I'm at ease using them anywhere!

Old
  (#39)
WildWing
AzB Silver Member
WildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond repute

09-22-2017, 08:23 PM

Last edited by WildWing; 09-24-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Old
  (#40)
Ched
"Hey ... I'm back"!
Ched has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond reputeChed has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemosconi View Post
A very good player can play very good with any cue that weighs between 18 and 21 oz. is reasonably straight, has a reasonably smooth shaft and a tip that is shaped well enough to accept and hold chalk and also deliver spin to the cue at a reasonable level. Everything else is in your head in terms of the cue's actual effect on your game.
Now where's that dang "thumbs-up/like" button?

Best always,
Ched

cues: too many, most are pretty decent.

Old
  (#41)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-23-2017, 10:19 AM

Because the squirt, taper, weight, and Balance combined were more suited to your game, stroke, and body.

And in what universe is a Predator cue "first class"?

Freddie <~~~ not my universe

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#42)
Skippy27
AzB Silver Member
Skippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond reputeSkippy27 has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaction View Post
It's not the arrow.....
That is all that needs to be said on this.

A $50 stick will shot the ball exactly where uou aim it just as well as a $4500 stick.

Old
  (#43)
jmelvin23
AzB Bronze Member
jmelvin23 has a reputation beyond reputejmelvin23 has a reputation beyond reputejmelvin23 has a reputation beyond reputejmelvin23 has a reputation beyond reputejmelvin23 has a reputation beyond reputejmelvin23 has a reputation beyond reputejmelvin23 has a reputation beyond reputejmelvin23 has a reputation beyond reputejmelvin23 has a reputation beyond reputejmelvin23 has a reputation beyond reputejmelvin23 has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2017, 10:25 PM

It's the singer, not the song.

Old
  (#44)
scsuxci
AzB Silver Member
scsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2017, 06:23 PM

Expensive or not, if I can make alot of long hard inside juice shots, I can play with it regardless of make and amount. There's a fine line between playability and owning a cue for look a vanity. Your average pool player have played there best pool with a shit cue and as life goes on and they get better, their suddenly on the search for a cue that looks fantastic but has the playability of the shit cue was years ago.
This might not resonate with everyone but it must with many.

Old
  (#45)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
09-26-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsuxci View Post
Expensive or not, if I can make alot of long hard inside juice shots, I can play with it regardless of make and amount. There's a fine line between playability and owning a cue for look a vanity. Your average pool player have played there best pool with a shit cue and as life goes on and they get better, their suddenly on the search for a cue that looks fantastic but has the playability of the shit cue was years ago.
This might not resonate with everyone but it must with many.
True, often.

I don't think I will ever buy another 'fancy' cue.

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: