Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page 10 months in, hit the wall big time, cant make a ball.
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-18-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
Baloney. You're soliciting business.
I second that baloney.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#17)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-18-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
Baloney. You're soliciting business.
I was honest and disclosed 8 reasons/evidences.

We can sum as "What is wrong with offering free help to someone in need?"

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#18)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

06-18-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliardsAbout View Post
"What is wrong with offering free help to someone in need?"
What's wrong with giving it here like everybody else does? I mean, if it's really "free" and not just a marketing ploy...

pj
chgo

Old
  (#19)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

06-18-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
As for offering free lessons, shouldn't that be a self-correcting problem? That is, if I'm a bad teacher, they can see that in lesson one, and if I'm a good teacher who deserves to be paid for time, they can pay me for lessons and get better.
Your post raised a really good issue, Fran--I've finished writing a book of nearly 450 mini-lessons. I was thinking of shooting it for video to YouTube so thousands of players could get free help. Your post today makes me think I'll get accused of "trying to make money" on YouTube. But is that an issue in America? Is it fundamentally wrong to try to sell pool lessons and make an honest living (or side income), since I'm (just being honest here) a very good pool teacher in person, hands-on? I used to charge less for pool lessons, and because of the toxicity here and elsewhere, it took me a while to "get over myself", if you follow me.
PS. I want to be honest, sometimes I offer a free lesson because I see the blind leading the blind here and the other posters take issue with my nonstandard advice. I don't need to be flamed for preaching pool truth, it's not necessary, and I'd rather show the person some secret in private. I can give specific examples if that will help.
The parts I have highlighted in blue are outstanding!
I see nothing wrong with auditioning an instructor. As you say, that is a "self correcting issue".
Examples of auditioning:
"I need a piano player for a wedding...where can I see you play the piano, for pay?"
"You say you're a baseball player and want to play on my team? Then get in the cage and let's see what you can do with the low and away"
"You say you want a job as a sales rep and have been selling xyz product for 10 years? Okay, let me see your presentation."
"You say you have an excellent landscaping service? Okay, where is your next job and I will drive over and watch what you do".
"You are a great fishing guide? I like your deal of no fish - no pay"
I see absolutely nothing wrong with any of that.
Anyone who is afraid to audition has something to hide, in my opinion.

Old
  (#20)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

06-18-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I was honest and disclosed 8 reasons/evidences.

We can sum as "What is wrong with offering free help to someone in need?"
there is nothing wrong with offering free help
BUT
at least in my case you offered "free" help but it was only to get me to pay for more lessons
you were shocked when i didnt think more lessons with you were worth it to pay for
jmho

Old
  (#21)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

06-19-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
What's wrong with giving it here like everybody else does? I mean, if it's really "free" and not just a marketing ploy...

pj
chgo
T'isn't. I give free help. I've had one-and-done free lessons.

-- Matt Sherman

Old
  (#22)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com

06-19-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
there is nothing wrong with offering free help
BUT
at least in my case you offered "free" help but it was only to get me to pay for more lessons
you were shocked when i didnt think more lessons with you were worth it to pay for
jmho
From memory, I offered you further free lessons. That offer stands.

-- Matt Sherman

Old
  (#23)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

06-19-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judochoke View Post
... (took a hour lesson from a big time pro, got nothing at all from it) so im not sure spending more money going that route is the answer. ...
In my experience the majority of big time pros have no clue about how to deal with fundamentals.

I will be in San Luis Obispo in July if you have no plan to come to the Bay Area.

Try video recording yourself. Maybe you can see something with that. If you go that way, I have some shots/camera positions that are useful.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#24)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

06-19-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:

pj
chgo
Quote:
T'isn't. I give free help. I've had one-and-done free lessons.
So (again) why not here like everybody else?

pj <- think we know the real answer
chgo

Old
  (#25)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com

06-19-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
So (again) why not here like everybody else?

pj <- think we know the real answer
chgo
I do post here, witness Fran's remark that other people bash my teaching--so I must be teaching. Be logical!

-- Matt Sherman

Old
  (#26)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

06-19-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I do post here, witness Fran's remark that other people bash my teaching--so I must be teaching. Be logical!
You know what I meant. Be honest!

pj <- for a change
chgo

Old
  (#27)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
From memory, I offered you further free lessons. That offer stands.
Uh-ohhhhhh
There's a contradiction in stories.
(life in a poolroom, you know)

Old
  (#28)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com

06-20-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
You know what I meant. Be honest!

pj <- for a change
chgo
I reread your recent posts again, you meant "you don't instruct here and only shill for lessons," which is an illogical statement.

I'm open to criticism if you'd like to restate your objections.

-- Matt Sherman

Old
  (#29)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

06-20-2019, 12:20 PM

judochoke...Like I told you months ago, get a lesson from a qualified professional instructor (one who knows how to do video analysis). That would be your best money spent.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by judochoke View Post
pretty much playing every night for 10 months at home, things were going pretty good I thought. was running 7 balls at time in 9 ball, (throwing out 7 balls only), and I thought I was ready to step into the next realm of intermediate pool.

well that exploded big time. seems like now I cant even make a shot anymore. dont know what happened. same aiming system, same bridge, same shot routine, same stance.
everything disappeared. almost broke my stick a couple of time I was that pissed off.

(took a hour lesson from a big time pro, got nothing at all from it) so im not sure spending more money going that route is the answer.

so now what do I do? I have books, videos, diagrams, ect ect. nothing is working

how far back to the basics do I have to go to. stop shots for a week straight????

HELP PLEASE

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#30)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

06-20-2019, 12:23 PM

I "third" that baloney!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Quote:
I second that baloney.

pj
chgo

PBIA Master Instructor

Page 2 of 3 12 3