What Cue has the best hitting sound

CaptainJR

Shiver me timbers.
Silver Member
Why did you have to ask this? I seem compelled to answer and I'm not liking the 'sound' of what I'm going to say.

What you like in the sound of a cue stick should be solidness, etc. I guess.

What I like in the sound of a cue has absolutely nothing to do with how it plays and too much to do with how much I like the cue.

The quieter the better. This is probably why I use the softest tip I can find. Elk Master, and I don't do any of that compressing it to make it firmer or anything like that. They are cheap so as soon as it starts to wear down and get hard and loud, I change it.

P.S. In case you didn't notice, this is not 'sound' advice.

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sad_clown0306 said:
What Cue has the best hitting sound ???

I am a Billiard Player for which the sound is very important when i play.

In the past i played with different Cues. They had different sounds. I prefered some sounds to others and like a significant one described a little bit as broad and not too low.

Now my question. Which Cue makes the best sounds for you. Is it a special wood, the joint, the tip, a special cuemaker etc ???
What kind of experiences did you made ???
What was the best hitting sound of a cue you had ???
And how important is the sound for you ???

thanks
I like the way my cue sounds the best. :D:D:D

BVal

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
My Madden fullsplice w/ straight grain maple forearm, black walnut butt and old growth shafts has a nice ping to it, the closest sounds I can relate it to is when you're golfing, the sound you hear when you hit a solid drive

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Bingo, Pete's cues do have a sweet clean hit. Balabushka like.

I agree. Pete's cues hit very well and are very similar to 'Bushkas I've played with.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Fyi

Any well made cue, when being used by a professional in 'dead stroke'...will have a unique sound specifically to that particular cue construction and the sounds given off by its inlays.
All woods change sounds when the cue hits the sweet spot or not. It's a double edged sword, its not only is the guy beating U, the cue sounds'' like it can't miss. FWIW

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Black Boar. Tony Scianella builds his cues harmonically "tuned and balanced" and claims he can walk into a poolhall and listen and tell if someone is playing a Boar. I love the sound of and feel of mine when I use it.
:p

Ronoh

1 brick at a time
Silver Member
Get a person (male/female) who has a stroke, and compare the SAME stick with a person that "thinks" they have a stroke, you will HEAR a difference.

point being: Harmonics of a stick is subjective to the quality of the player's stroke.

A well made stick will sing in anyone's hand, once in a while.

A solid stroke will make any stick sing.

Best Hitting Sound: hmmm... sounds like a project to me.

depends on the type of balls, felt, etc...

I'll get back to ya this, if you don't figure it out sooner

Joerg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Madden fullsplice w/ straight grain maple forearm, black walnut butt and old growth shafts has a nice ping to it, the closest sounds I can relate it to is when you're golfing, the sound you hear when you hit a solid drive

Interesting! I have to agree, of about the 30+ cues I have in my collection I must say that my Madden (ebony with redheart recut points, stainless joint) has a very distinct "hitting" sound. I can perfectly relate to what you are saying about the sound of your fullsplice Madden.

For me that kind of sound was new and somewhat distracting at first, but I love it now. The nice thing is that the sound matches the feel of the cue entirely. It is incredibly solid, but with plenty of feedback. The closes cue I have to the Madden in terms of sound and feel is my Vollmer.

Is it the best sound though? It is a great sound because sound and feel of the cue match perfectly, but I have other cues where this is the case also. So best sound for me on the hit would be one that matches closely what I feel as feedback when I hit with the cue. In that way, a very quiet hit for me would work best with a cue with very little feedback vibration towards the grip hand. Now if someone likes a lot or little feedback, is a subjective thing. I can get used to both if I play the same cue for a week or two :rolleyes:

Joerg

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
My favorite sounding cue is my purple heart Scruggs sneaky with a steel joint. It has a great sweet ponk noise to it. Most purple heart cues ive owned have had that noise or a very similar. Recently I bought an S&S ivory jointed sneaky, and while it didnt have as high of a pitch, the noise was very nice. I also just got a Frey sneaky with a white phenolic joint that hits vey very close to my Scruggs, hmmm I wonder why ;), hehe. As usual, with a hard tip the noise usually becomes much more noticable, and enjoyable for me. Other guys hate the way my cues sound because they dont like the extra hard milk duds im stuck on, but I say to hell with em, lol. Ok, im done. More beer! lol!

Joe

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jensen

I am partial to my Jensen. It has ivory ferrules and ss joint. Makes a low solid thump with great feedback.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I have 2 Brunswicks converted by Lee Pepper.
A BBC and True Balance. Absolutely the sweetest tink sound you ever want to hear.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Ronoh:
Get a person (male/female) who has a stroke, and compare the SAME stick with a person that "thinks" they have a stroke, you will HEAR a difference.
I don't think so.

pj
chgo

phread59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got an old Heubler plain jane with a Kevin Varney shaft and hard tip. A long cross table stun shot sounds absolutely wonderful. It lets you know it's workin'.

Mark Shuman