Old
  (#1)
berlowmj
AzB Silver Member
berlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Avatar the movie - 12-19-2009, 05:38 PM

As the instruments of genocide were unleashed on natives, referred to as "blue monkeys," in pursuit of lucrative deposits of the mineral "unobtainium" I could not help but see the movie as a metaphor of U.S. imperialism.

I anxiously await the interpretations of my NPR comrades.

Old
  (#2)
Sev
I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

12-19-2009, 06:36 PM

Have not seen it yet.

Keep your head down and admire the shot.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm just a flea along for the ride... ---366Robin

Revelations of truth undermine a foundation of belief built on lies.---Sev

If our answers scare you, maybe you should stop asking frightening questions.---ChicagoRJ

Old
  (#3)
cueandcushion
Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
cueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to cueandcushion  
12-19-2009, 06:59 PM

I thought the storyline was about a 7/8 out of ten.

The thought that went into the culture and landscape and visual aspects of the movie is about 10/10

And the technology advances made for the movie are about 11/10.

Anyone that downloads this movie is an idiot. You are getting just an average experience then.

Craig - Saint Louis MO - Cue & Cushion Billiards -

Now celebrating our 50th year in business! Remember, you can help your local room survive or post about it later that it went under.

Since 1966- Family owned and family friendly

Old
  (#4)
Alex Kanapilly
AzB Silver Member
Alex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 6300

12-19-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueandcushion View Post
I thought the storyline was about a 7/8 out of ten.

The thought that went into the culture and landscape and visual aspects of the movie is about 10/10

And the technology advances made for the movie are about 11/10.

Anyone that downloads this movie is an idiot. You are getting just an average experience then.
I agree with your review 100%.

Yes, of course it was an opinion on imperialism, but it was a hell of a movie experience.

The 3D was fantastic, honestly the first 3D movie I can say I truly enjoyed.

Alex

Old
  (#5)
Alex Kanapilly
AzB Silver Member
Alex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Kanapilly has a reputation beyond repute

12-19-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berlowmj View Post
As the instruments of genocide were unleashed on natives, referred to as "blue monkeys," in pursuit of lucrative deposits of the mineral "unobtainium" I could not help but see the movie as a metaphor of U.S. imperialism.

Also, it was a metaphor for "western" imperialism, not just American.

The native culture was very eastern in nature, even Indian. There were many Hindu references I think. Everything from the blue color of the natives, the "everything is related/connected" belief, the multiple arms of the creatures and even the word Avatar all reference Hindu mythology (Krishna is an avatar of Vishnu. I beleieve Vishnu had 7 or 8 avatars over the years. Rama, Krishna, Vishnu and Shiva are often depicted as blue beings and many devine beings in the Hindu religion have multiple arms).

Alex

Old
  (#6)
ribdoner
SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
ribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4300

12-19-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berlowmj View Post

TAVARISH COMRADE,

The US doesn't have the market cornered on imperialism, it's been monkey see/monkey do for a few millennium...

the truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Old
  (#7)
vicdotcom
AzB Silver Member
vicdotcom has a reputation beyond reputevicdotcom has a reputation beyond reputevicdotcom has a reputation beyond reputevicdotcom has a reputation beyond reputevicdotcom has a reputation beyond reputevicdotcom has a reputation beyond reputevicdotcom has a reputation beyond reputevicdotcom has a reputation beyond reputevicdotcom has a reputation beyond reputevicdotcom has a reputation beyond reputevicdotcom has a reputation beyond repute

12-20-2009, 06:48 AM

did you watch it in 3d? I dont think I will watch it until it comes on vid.

Last edited by vicdotcom; 12-20-2009 at 06:56 AM.

Old
  (#8)
murphy
AzB Bronze Member
murphy has a reputation beyond reputemurphy has a reputation beyond reputemurphy has a reputation beyond reputemurphy has a reputation beyond reputemurphy has a reputation beyond reputemurphy has a reputation beyond reputemurphy has a reputation beyond reputemurphy has a reputation beyond reputemurphy has a reputation beyond reputemurphy has a reputation beyond reputemurphy has a reputation beyond repute

12-20-2009, 07:07 AM

A waste of money.

consensus
Old
  (#9)
berlowmj
AzB Silver Member
berlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond repute

consensus - 12-20-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribdoner View Post
TAVARISH COMRADE,

The US doesn't have the market cornered on imperialism, it's been monkey see/monkey do for a few millennium...
Your point is well taken.

Old
  (#10)
Alex Kanapilly
AzB Silver Member

12-20-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
did you watch it in 3d? I dont think I will watch it until it comes on vid.
Yes. The 3D is what makes this movie, you'll miss what the fuss was about if you don't see this in 3D at the theater.

Alex

Old
  (#11)
cueandcushion
Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
cueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond repute

12-20-2009, 04:01 PM

I didnt see it as a comment on Imperialism.

I saw it as more of a comment on "progress" or "evolution" of mankind.

What we gain in technology and power, we lose in our humanity and souls.

Now celebrating our 50th year in business! Remember, you can help your local room survive or post about it later that it went under.

Old
  (#12)
Sev
I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

12-20-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueandcushion View Post
I didnt see it as a comment on Imperialism.

I saw it as more of a comment on "progress" or "evolution" of mankind.

What we gain in technology and power, we lose in our humanity and souls.
Not sure I would go with the last.
Genghis Khan was pretty soulless and he had very little technology.

Keep your head down and admire the shot.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm just a flea along for the ride... ---366Robin

Revelations of truth undermine a foundation of belief built on lies.---Sev

If our answers scare you, maybe you should stop asking frightening questions.---ChicagoRJ

Old
  (#13)
cueandcushion
Cue & Cushion_STL_MO

12-20-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
Not sure I would go with the last.
Genghis Khan was pretty soulless and he had very little technology.

I kind of meant our society as a whole, not individuals. I believe our society in general has already started down this path.

The local news every night reminds me of individuals who have no thread of humanity left.

Old
  (#14)
Russ Chewning
Short Bus Russ - C player
Russ Chewning has a reputation beyond reputeRuss Chewning has a reputation beyond reputeRuss Chewning has a reputation beyond reputeRuss Chewning has a reputation beyond reputeRuss Chewning has a reputation beyond reputeRuss Chewning has a reputation beyond reputeRuss Chewning has a reputation beyond reputeRuss Chewning has a reputation beyond reputeRuss Chewning has a reputation beyond reputeRuss Chewning has a reputation beyond reputeRuss Chewning has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-20-2009, 09:03 PM

I saw it..And the 3D was kinda bleh.

Then again, I go to Universal Studios in Orlando once every 8 months or so, and well, let's just say.. 3D doesn't get any better than the Spiderman 3D and Shrek 3D there.. So I was sort of disappointed with the 3D aspect..

Otherwise, it was a good, solid movie.

Russ

I am Short Bus Russ, I'm a C player, (confirmed by Smorgass Bored), and I'll take the 5 and the breaks.

"Donny if you get a few minutes later, go f&ck yourself." - jamesroberts

Old
  (#15)
cueman
AzB Silver Member

cueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

12-20-2009, 09:16 PM

I wouldn't say American Imperialism. It just reminded me of greedy people who care nothing about anything but money, and others who worship nature. Very "tree huggish" is how my wife described it. I also think the 3D was not as good as even the 3D in Christmas Carol was, but it was a decent movie never the less. The 3D was almost not worth paying extra for on this one.

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: