Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Mommy, Why Can't I Read?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Mommy, Why Can't I Read?
Old
  (#1)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?
jimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Question Mommy, Why Can't I Read? - 01-04-2010, 11:46 AM

Britain: Children Reaching Age 3 Without Being Able to Say a Word

January 4th, 2010

The piece says that television isn’t a factor, but keep this USA Today article in mind:

A study released Monday adds to the debate over whether television impairs children’s language development. It found that parents and children virtually stop talking to each other when the TV is on, even if they’re in the same room.

For every hour in front of the TV, parents spoke 770 fewer words to children, according to a study of 329 children, ages 2 months to 4 years, in the June issue of Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine. Adults usually speak about 941 words an hour.

Children vocalized less, too, says author Dimitri Christakis of the Seattle Children’s Research Institute. In some cases, parents may have spoken less because they sat a child in front of a TV and left the room, he says. In others, parents simply zoned out themselves while watching TV with a child. Researchers didn’t note the content of the TV shows.

Parents may not realize how little they interact with children when a TV is on, Christakis says. A mother may think she’s engaged with a baby because they’re both on the floor playing blocks. But if a TV is on in the background, the two of them talk much less, he says.

Let’s pretend that the idiot box isn’t a factor.

What are most of the children likely have in common?

Flouride: Link: http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/na...nce-25678.html

MSG and Aspartame: http://www.healthyeatingadvisor.com/...ives-baby.html

Vaccinations: http://www.generationrescue.org/blay...and-autism.pdf

All of the above, plus hundreds of other toxins in the air, food and water… What’s the impact on the mental development of children?

At best, some people will be able to convince themselves that the answer is inconclusive. I’d encourage them to look at the ingredients of all the food they regularly consume and the products they use, and break them down into two categories: healthy/safe foods and products and questionable/unhealthy foods and products.

I can assure you that most people would have far more rows on their questionable/unhealthy list if a true accounting was actually carried out. I’m certain of this because I see what people—who know better—are doing and it’s terrifying.

Look in the carts in the grocery store. What do you see?

Generic white bread, weird colored soda, Crunchy Death Pops cereal, candy, various processed pasta products, frozen pizza, bagged MSG chips, etc. etc.

Start adding it up. Yep, add it all up. What do you get?

Via: Times:Link: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6974590.ece

Children are reaching the age of 3 without being able to say a word, according to a survey that also found boys are almost twice as likely to struggle to learn to speak as girls.

The average age for a baby to speak their first word is 10 to 11 months. However, a significant minority (4 per cent) of parents reported that their child said nothing until they were 3.

Toddlers between the ages of 2 and 3 should be able to use up to 300 words, including adjectives, and be able to link words together, according to I CAN, the children’s communication charity. Late speech development can lead to problems, such as low achievement at school or mental health problems.

The survey of more than 1,000 parents found that a child’s background was not a factor in how quickly they learnt to talk. Working parents who put their babies in day care are just as likely to have a child whose speech develops late as those who leave their baby in front of the television.

Old
  (#2)
smokeandapancak
what?
smokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25
  Send a message via Yahoo to smokeandapancak  
01-04-2010, 12:38 PM

I think that most of these "numbers" are born from a tighter communications net and a "it cant be my fault " mentality.

There were a butt load of retads back in the day.. but folks kept then in the basement and no one knew.

dude

Old
  (#3)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

01-04-2010, 02:07 PM

you didn't have to prove to me that TV is garbage

Old
  (#4)
Gregg
AzB Silver Member
Gregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond repute

01-04-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeandapancak View Post
I think that most of these "numbers" are born from a tighter communications net and a "it cant be my fault " mentality.

There were a butt load of retads back in the day.. but folks kept then in the basement and no one knew.
Are you for real, or trying to be funny? Either way, it made me laugh!

Playing Cue: Samsara w/matched 314 (aka "Predator Cheat Stick") Sniper Tip
Jump/Break Cue: Sledgehammer
Hours of Pool: Whatever is fun for me, about 10

Old
  (#5)
smokeandapancak
what?
smokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond reputesmokeandapancak has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to smokeandapancak  
01-04-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
Are you for real, or trying to be funny? Either way, it made me laugh!
A bit of both I guess.

dude

Old
  (#6)
the420trooper
Free T-Rex
the420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

01-04-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
Britain: Children Reaching Age 3 Without Being Able to Say a Word

January 4th, 2010

The piece says that television isn’t a factor, but keep this USA Today article in mind:

A study released Monday adds to the debate over whether television impairs children’s language development. It found that parents and children virtually stop talking to each other when the TV is on, even if they’re in the same room.

For every hour in front of the TV, parents spoke 770 fewer words to children, according to a study of 329 children, ages 2 months to 4 years, in the June issue of Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine. Adults usually speak about 941 words an hour.

Children vocalized less, too, says author Dimitri Christakis of the Seattle Children’s Research Institute. In some cases, parents may have spoken less because they sat a child in front of a TV and left the room, he says. In others, parents simply zoned out themselves while watching TV with a child. Researchers didn’t note the content of the TV shows.

Parents may not realize how little they interact with children when a TV is on, Christakis says. A mother may think she’s engaged with a baby because they’re both on the floor playing blocks. But if a TV is on in the background, the two of them talk much less, he says.

Let’s pretend that the idiot box isn’t a factor.

What are most of the children likely have in common?

Flouride: Link: http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/na...nce-25678.html

MSG and Aspartame: http://www.healthyeatingadvisor.com/...ives-baby.html

Vaccinations: http://www.generationrescue.org/blay...and-autism.pdf

All of the above, plus hundreds of other toxins in the air, food and water… What’s the impact on the mental development of children?

At best, some people will be able to convince themselves that the answer is inconclusive. I’d encourage them to look at the ingredients of all the food they regularly consume and the products they use, and break them down into two categories: healthy/safe foods and products and questionable/unhealthy foods and products.

I can assure you that most people would have far more rows on their questionable/unhealthy list if a true accounting was actually carried out. I’m certain of this because I see what people—who know better—are doing and it’s terrifying.

Look in the carts in the grocery store. What do you see?

Generic white bread, weird colored soda, Crunchy Death Pops cereal, candy, various processed pasta products, frozen pizza, bagged MSG chips, etc. etc.

Start adding it up. Yep, add it all up. What do you get?

Via: Times:Link: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6974590.ece

Children are reaching the age of 3 without being able to say a word, according to a survey that also found boys are almost twice as likely to struggle to learn to speak as girls.

The average age for a baby to speak their first word is 10 to 11 months. However, a significant minority (4 per cent) of parents reported that their child said nothing until they were 3.

Toddlers between the ages of 2 and 3 should be able to use up to 300 words, including adjectives, and be able to link words together, according to I CAN, the children’s communication charity. Late speech development can lead to problems, such as low achievement at school or mental health problems.

The survey of more than 1,000 parents found that a child’s background was not a factor in how quickly they learnt to talk. Working parents who put their babies in day care are just as likely to have a child whose speech develops late as those who leave their baby in front of the television.
Great post, Jim. I wish my diet was as strict as my little boy's.

I do everything in my power to keep him away from the prepackaged junk that Americans call food. He eats fresh veggies, whole grains, meats, and cereal with no food coloring...Also, his vocabulary and language usage skills at 27 months are comparable to an average 4 year old, according to his doctor.

I also don't watch a lot of TV, aside from ESPN billiards and Accu-Stat matches, but I do discuss shot selection and strategy with my son when he's watching with me...

My son's TV choices are limited to the few children's programs that I feel are actually educational...Sesame Street, Little Einsteins, and a couple others.

-Michael (Never passes up an opportunity to brag about how great my kid is)

"In pool, it's always your fault when you lose, and that's hard to deal with." -Corey Deuel

Old
  (#7)
softshot
Simplify
softshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond repute

01-04-2010, 03:53 PM

my son is under 3

He knows the complete alphabet in order and out of order..

he can count to 20..

and he can shoot a stop shot on his little mini table

( I like to brag about my kids too LOL)

parent child time is absolutely necessary to the development of a child

they are hard wired to imitate parents..especially at the toddler ages..

later on they can and some say should learn from many sources ..

but during the first 4 years of life.. the parents are the most important teachers..

parents shouldn't blame the tv or the day care for the rate of development of their children

they should blame themselves

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help..

Old
  (#8)
the420trooper
Free T-Rex
the420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

01-04-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softshot View Post
my son is under 3

he can count to 20..

but during the first 4 years of life.. the parents are the most important teachers..

parents shouldn't blame the tv or the day care for the rate of development of their children

Great post, and good job!

My little man got a mini table for Christmas, and he STILL hasn't mastered the stop shot...

My son knows the alphabet, also....He counts to 20 just fine, but for some reason, refuses to acknowledge that the number 13 exists...He skips right over it every time...

Great point about about children imitating parents....My kid doesn't care what he does, as long as he's doing it "wif Daddy".

"In pool, it's always your fault when you lose, and that's hard to deal with." -Corey Deuel

Old
  (#9)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?
jimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond repute

01-06-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the420trooper View Post
Great post, Jim. I wish my diet was as strict as my little boy's.

I do everything in my power to keep him away from the prepackaged junk that Americans call food. He eats fresh veggies, whole grains, meats, and cereal with no food coloring...Also, his vocabulary and language usage skills at 27 months are comparable to an average 4 year old, according to his doctor.

I also don't watch a lot of TV, aside from ESPN billiards and Accu-Stat matches, but I do discuss shot selection and strategy with my son when he's watching with me...

My son's TV choices are limited to the few children's programs that I feel are actually educational...Sesame Street, Little Einsteins, and a couple others.

-Michael (Never passes up an opportunity to brag about how great my kid is)
What! No MTV or reality TV yet? Better watch out Michael, the ACLU will come down on you like Bambi at Hefner's House Party.

Judging by the quality of his Dad, I don't think there are any worries about how your son will turn out.

Jim

Old
  (#10)
BazookaJoe
Destroyer of stickers
BazookaJoe has a reputation beyond reputeBazookaJoe has a reputation beyond reputeBazookaJoe has a reputation beyond reputeBazookaJoe has a reputation beyond reputeBazookaJoe has a reputation beyond reputeBazookaJoe has a reputation beyond reputeBazookaJoe has a reputation beyond reputeBazookaJoe has a reputation beyond reputeBazookaJoe has a reputation beyond reputeBazookaJoe has a reputation beyond reputeBazookaJoe has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 541

01-06-2010, 09:42 AM

Oh, they can read

How else would they text each other?

Texting is the devil

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.(Hosea 4:6)

Old
  (#11)
jsp
AzB Silver Member
jsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2600

01-06-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the420trooper View Post
My son knows the alphabet, also....He counts to 20 just fine, but for some reason, refuses to acknowledge that the number 13 exists...He skips right over it every time...
My eldest daughter did the same when she was learning to count, but instead she skipped 15 for some reason.

My second daughter is 23 months, and she can count to 12. Though, not sure if you can really call it counting. She can say the words and in order, but I don't think she understands the concept of numbers past 3. It's funny that after she "counts" to 12, she just keeps repeating ****-teen, ****-teen, ****-teen... where **** represents any type of sound she feels like making up as she goes along.

Old
  (#12)
jsp
AzB Silver Member
jsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2600

01-06-2010, 10:02 AM

Also, for parents with young toddlers, I highly recommend this video...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TKUXUC/

This video single-handedly (probably giving it a bit too much credit) taught my youngest to learn her ABCs as well as the sounds of each letter. I feel a bit guilty though. Because as she was learning her ABCs, I was shooting pool...in the same room. Hey, how else can you keep a one-year old toddler from bothering me while I shoot?

Old
  (#13)
asiasdad
All PEDOS must DIE
asiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond reputeasiasdad has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2425

01-06-2010, 10:09 AM

This is America folks:

Name:  6a00c2251fd3adf21900c2251fe78e8fdb-500pi.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  25.5 KB

The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant - Maximilien Robespierre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRtE...EZhCDCEMZHUjRg

Old
  (#14)
jackson
"The Sleekly Drifter"
jackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond reputejackson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

01-06-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softshot View Post
my son is under 3

he can count to 20..

God bless him!! - I have a big table and still can't master the stop shot -

Jackson

(PS - does he give lessons???)

Without your head in the game there can be no stroke

Old
  (#15)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?

01-06-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaJoe View Post
Oh, they can read

How else would they text each other?

Texting is the devil
TWITA WOG

TXS, TTYL

^5

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2